December 2010 Moms

any success with gloves/mittens?

I can't get Aiden to wear a pair of mittens without him crying.  He just hates it :( 

Any advice or does anyone have a pair that they would recommend?  

I think he would like gloves better, but it's like impossible to get those on his hands!  Especially with him crying about it. I can't really take him out without them for more than a few minutes because it's been in the 20's here.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: any success with gloves/mittens?

• I'm horrible and don't use gloves! It hasn't been terribly cold here yet (we just got our first snow), and LO is rarely outside longer than 10 seconds to get into the car.

I really do need to start trying though - we ran a lot of errands today and her hands did get cold.

• I don't know what brand mittens I bought (they don't say), but they have velcro on the sides so that they open pretty wide to stick his hands in.  Once they're on, the closed velcro makes them pretty hard to get off--plus I put his coat sleeve over them.  I only use them when he's going to be outside for a period of time, not just to go from house/car/store.  And frankly, it's so cold, that he hasn't tried to pull them off.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • G hates mitts so he doesn't wear them. He only goes to the car to the house or vice versa so I'm not concerned. If we were to play outside then I may force the mitts on him.
  • Ours aren't anything special - stretchy knit gloves that match his hat. They're not waterproof, but he loves his hat, so he wears them.

I make sure his thumb is in the thumb section, but am not fastidious to make sure every finger is in the right section of the glove. It's cold here, and I want him to go outside and they take him outside at daycare, so it's kind-of a non-negotiable thing. If I forget to bring his mittens to daycare, they put socks on his hands, so maybe he's just happy to have some dexterity with gloves, even if they're not perfect.

I think it would be more challenging if he didn't need them so much - and wasn't used to wearing them.

There are some poems & songs about mittens that might make LO more interested. One goes "Thumbs in the thumb place, fingers all together, that is the song we sing in mitten weather."

• DD has a pair of cloth gloves I got at Walmart for .97 cents. She likes to wear them and fit just right.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Labor Buddy to chulita425!
  • imageletranger:
    How do you all keep your kids entertained without going outside daily? seriously m would burst. 

At home we rotate floors (basement, 1st and 2nd floors). She has toys on each floor. We also have a lot of nearby indoor play options- a hands-on children's museum, an indoor play space with tons of little kid equipment, etc. Today we took her to a mall about 20 minutes away and just let her run around the mall for an hour and a half. She loved it.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageChicagoBroad26:

imageletranger:
    How do you all keep your kids entertained without going outside daily? seriously m would burst. 

At home we rotate floors (basement, 1st and 2nd floors). She has toys on each floor. We also have a lot of nearby indoor play options- a hands-on children's museum, an indoor play space with tons of little kid equipment, etc. Today we took her to a mall about 20 minutes away and just let her run around the mall for an hour and a half. She loved it.  

We do the same type of thing.  I certainly miss the warmer weather, but even if I get my son to put on gloves/mittens, I still would personally not keep him out longer than maybe a half hour - tops.  It's just been so cold here!  Even I was frigid from being outside for 20 minutes today with him. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageken&kendra:

One goes "Thumbs in the thumb place, fingers all together, that is the song we sing in mitten weather."

LOL!  I'm going to sing this the next time!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In October we went camping with my family and it got cold. My mom told J that mittens were "happy hands." Now he asks to wear his happy hands all the time.

• G isn't a fan either, but she's been better about mittens since I got her some of the thin stretchy ones to play with inside. We put them on her dolls, tell her dolls they can't go outside wihout mittens, etc. G loves being outside, even in the Michigan winters, and if she takes off her warmer mittens, I enforce the rule that we go inside if she won't keep them on. She'll do just about anything to stay outside.

• I've only put them on him a few times so far to play outside & he hasn't given me a hard time about putting them on, luckily. He has 2 pairs of fleece mittens & one pair of stretchy mittens that came as a set with winter hats. I like the stretchy ones the best. I think they're from target.

• imagestar1123:
    imageChicagoBroad26:

imageletranger:

We do the same type of thing.  I certainly miss the warmer weather, but even if I get my son to put on gloves/mittens, I still would personally not keep him out longer than maybe a half hour - tops.  It's just been so cold here!  Even I was frigid from being outside for 20 minutes today with him. 

Totally! We just take him to stores, other friend's houses, we play with his train table, his kitchen, go to mygym or music class, watch some movies...I hate going outside.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • They started putting mittens on at DC, so by the time I got around to putting them on her here she was pretty agreeable.  I still only get her thumbs in the right place like 20% of the time.  I feel terrible because she keeps asking to go play in the snow, but I hate cold and keep putting her off. 
    image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • J just (and by just I mean in the last 2 weeks) started wearing mittens without trying to pull them off.  In fact, now he asks for them at times.  We found a hat/mitten set on clearance at Target that was Batman, the mittens weren't super heavy and actually fit him (J's head is near the top of the chart, so in order to get a hat that fits, we often wind up with mittens that are way too big)... so he actually likes wearing them now.  He gets a little frustrated if his thumb slips out, but he keeps them on, which is good because he wouldn't have gotten his first real snow experience the other day had he not worn his mittens.
  • We just use the cheapie mittens from Target and he seems to like them. He's a thumb sucker though, so as soon as he gets somewhere warm (like the car), they're off in a hurry. We taught him to put his hands in his pockets too and that helps keep them warm.

To get the mittens on, we taught Charlie to do "thumbs up." It makes it a lot easier to put his "hands" on. :-)

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• J loves mittens.  He calls them "hand socks" and will make them talk like puppets.  

image   image

• I wear mine to, so I try to make it cool to wear.. Also - sometimes he is raging on me when I put them on and he does not want it - and then I make him either go without it and freeze (obviously watching to see that he don't get hurt.) or to have him carry it around outside until he is tired of carrying them..

But mostly the "cool" thing - I got him red mittens during the fall and he even wanted to wear them inside. Sell the idea like sand in Sahara ;)

<3 Cathrine 24 from Norway - Mommy and Married <3

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Graduation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"