Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How much should he be eating?

My son is 1 w 1 d old and I'm not sure how much he should be eating.  I had latch issues and low milk so we have to give him mostly formula... I read online that he should eat every two hours with a 1.5-2 oz bottle...but he eats every 2-3 hours with a good 3 ounce bottle before he is happy at all.  I'm just not sure if this is too much for him or not.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much should he be eating?

• Options
    I know they base the amount on your lo's weight. I bf my dd for the first 3 weeks then switched to formula. I had no idea what to feed her or how often since she ate all the time with nursing. I gave her 2oz and she gulped it down. So I started giving her 4oz bottles and let her tell me when she was full. If she finishes the bottle then I pour 1 or 2 oz from another bottle and give her that. I don't like when she finishes the bottle because I don't know if she is really full yet.
    I would let your baby tell you how much and when. It sounds like a good start so far.
  • Options
    He's a big boy, he was 9lb 6oz at birth so that could maybe be why he eats so much.  I know it's all trail and error, I just want to make sure he has enough and not too much.  Sometimes I let him have 3 oz and he spits up but other times he goes right to sleep
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My ped has recommended shooting for a a minimum of 24 oz per 24 hours from the beginning.  so it sounds like you are right on track to me!  
  • Options
    Our guy was just like yours. He would eat about 3oz every 2-4 hours. He is 7 weeks now and eating 5oz every 2-4 hours during the day and 4-6 hours at night. As long as he is happy and keeping it down it sounds like you are doing great. Just go with what he wants and is comfortable with! 
    Missed M/C 11/11/11
    BFP: 3/15/12 EDD: 11/25/12 DOB: 11/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I met with the lactation consultant yesterday and he's already gained his birth weight back so she said we are ok just feeding on demand.  He's still eating 2-3 oz every couple of hours sometimes just one ounce every hour in the mornings.

Poor guy spit up a bit this evening but he seems to be doing ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"