Breastfeeding

First Time Mom to Be Resource Question

Hi Ladies,

I am expecting in June 2013, and I am trying to learn as much as I can before the baby comes about breast feeding. This has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize for asking again (The search feature for the boards leaves something to be desired).

What web pages/books/groups have you found helpful when you were getting started, and for troubleshooting problems?

Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! 

**Child and Loss Mentioned**

~~~God's Promises are Good and True! ~~~

Baby boy born 6/3/13 after 13 cycles :)
Angel Baby Loss November 2018.
  Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: First Time Mom to Be Resource Question

• "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" is a great book!
  • Books: I read the womenly art of breastfeeding before DS arrived, it had lot of good information.

Online: Kellymom.com is a great resource on-line.  This board is very helpful as well. Smile

IRL: If you have a LLL (La Leche League) meeting around you I would suggest checking it out before you give birth  (I think there were 5 pregnant people at the last meeting I went to).  If your hospital as a lactation consultant they are also helpful once LO gets here, be sure to meet with her before you leave the hospital.  Breastfeeding is hard in the beginning for most people, it's very helpful to have someone (or many) IRL that can help if you need to check LO latch etc.

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the above suggestions. Your hospital may have a breastfeeding support group. Mine has been immensely helpful. Also, local baby boutiques often have breastfeeding groups too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I heard of La Leche League. They have a meeting about 15 minutes from my house. I will definitely check them out :).
    **Child and Loss Mentioned**

~~~God's Promises are Good and True! ~~~

Baby boy born 6/3/13 after 13 cycles :)
    Angel Baby Loss November 2018.
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • For me, this board has been my best resource.  I had tried lurking on here before LO was born, but I didn't really know what I was looking for.  But once she was born, I had SO many questions that this board helped with.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Ditto kellymom and LLL. Also, lucieslist.com has a decent BFing section under the Your Life section of her site. As with kellymom, the entire site was incredibly useful to me for multiple reasons. It helped answer a lot of my postpartum questions. 

ETA: Also, once you get started, Google, Google, Google. It's been invaluable when I can't quickly find things or just notice a weird something or other (like weird breastmilk breath -so strange!).  

• kellymom.com and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding were my go to resources.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• ns1ns1 member

imagekitchencolors:
    I found the womanly art book to be pretty judgmental. I don't think it had very good advice for really major bf issues... I felt like all it said was that if you tried hard enough it would work.  But bf never worked for us, so I EP. Kellymom.com is good.

Glad someone else thought this too; I found this the case too, especially for working moms.  But it does have some nice quick go to sections I thought.

But anyway, the book I really liked is Breastfeeding Made Simple. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"