Food Allergy

Ugh, can't catch a break at our house

Lately it feels like our family has been living at the doctor. It started with me having a severe reaction to the adhesive they used to place the epidural. Then yesterday I had a reaction to who knows what that has my eyes and lips all swollen. To top things off, it seems DS is now having what I assume to be a milk allergy as well. He is getting the same red blotchy face as DD after eating (especially my breast milk), lots of gas and nasty diapers. He is spitting up, but not as much as DD and he isn't having the hour long screaming fits but it doing lots of silent refluxing.  I made an appt at the allergist for myself at the advice of the ER doctor, but does anyone know how soon they can test a newborn for allergies? DS is 11 days old at this point (stupid bump won't let me  update my tickers).
imageimage

Re: Ugh, can't catch a break at our house

• Could your baby have reflux? Those symptoms while breastfeeding sound like it. 

As for allergy testing, I was told nothing could be done until 6 months or later but most babies aren't tested until 1 year old. A lot of babies have but grow out of allergies within the first year.

We brought our son to a pediatric GI who diagnosed his milk/soy intolerance. I was on a dairy and soy free diet and then eventually switched to a safe formula option.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son is going to be four months in a few days. They just did a blood draw and a RAST test, so it can be done before six months. GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi and allergist don't believe the results prior to 6 mos to be very accurate. Even the results 612 mos aren't the most accurate but if they're willing to do it, might as well see what comes up. It would just be a big bummer if there are false positives and you're avoiding foods for no reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wow. i'm sorry!

I keep telling my husband that i wish my son could just outgrow everything and i'll take on the allergies -that's pretty much what you're living. 

my allergist told me she once tested a new born baby but that was a very isolated incident and they don't normally do that.  My son was tested at 7 months.  So it really depends on the allergist.

You may need to go on an elimination diet until you find out what's causing it. Or even do formula if you can't figure it out.  I would first go top 8 free and see if he's better. Or milk/soy free first.  good luck! 

• DD was tested at 4 months. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our daughter was tested at around 3 mos, she broke out whenever breastmilk touched her face due to dairy allergy.  I avoided it for 11 mos and she outgrew it thank goodness.  Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"