Pre-School and Daycare

Re-Intro and a Question

Hi everyone,

I used to hang out on the baby boards quite a while ago, but took a hiatus and am finally back incognito.  I'm an Army wife and Mama to a very spunky 3 year old boy named Levi.  I also work full time and Levi goes to a local in-home daycare run by a friend of mine.

Now for my question...

Levi is very bright.  He's beginning to read (mostly short words, like cat and little) and is advanced in his verbal language as well.  However, he has an October birthday and missed the cut-off for preschool this year.  DH is almost done with his military service and we're most likely moving in the next few months.  I'd like to find a preschool for Levi after we move, because I think he's very ready.  But I don't know where to even begin.  Where do I look to find a preschool that will accept him, even though he missed the birthday cutoff?  What about one that will tailor his learning based on his current abilities?  If he goes to one that's just teaching numbers, letters, and colors, he'll be bored.  He catches on very quickly and already knows those things.  He's bored at home and has more energy than he knows what to do with.  I want to channel that energy into something positive that will help him continue to learn and develop and be HAPPY!  What can you suggest?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Re-Intro and a Question

• Oh yes, he loves the babysitter.  She has a little girl that is also 3 and a new baby that he just loves to cuddle.

Thanks for the info!

• Hi!  I have to agree with the first person that responded.  Most preschool programs are not academically rigorous.  Many children at 3 and 4 are very verbal, or learning to read, or awesome at math....whatever their strengths happen to be.  Most preschools though, will promote social and emotional development far more than academics.  Even if he loves his daycare now, it's usually great for children at this age to learn to be in a larger group, following more of a "school" routine.  I would definitely enroll him, but I would probably change my expectations to be more about turn-taking, sharing, listening, fine motor skills mastery...than academic work.  Without that foundation, none of the academic teaching would matter anyway!  You will be amazed at how "advanced" kids manage to be intrigued and stimulated by a regular preschool class.  They will always find ways to challenge themselves and learn.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"