Toddlers: 24 Months+

5 y/o staying with sister out of state?

My husband told me the other day my sister visit us for up to a month. I called my parents and got the ok. (I'm 25 and yes there's an odd age gap. I also, have sisters who are 23 and 3) We could only have one and my 3 y/o sister is my mother's shadow and I am very close to my 5 y/o sister. My problem is could this work out? Traveling I have 2 options: plane or train. I'm terrified of planes, and she's never been on one before either. I'm afraid she's going to have an "episode" and I won't be able to control her, I'd be looking at 6 hours and a lot more $. On a train it's on the ground and a rocking motion that I think would be calming. Plus there's scenery and if need be I can rent a room. Only it will be 24 hours to Texas and 24 back to WI. Lastly, I'm wondering if she's going to freak out about not having my parents around? My parents can call/skype, but if there's a problem I can't be there right away. When I lived in WI I had her sleep over multiple times (she was 2-3) and went to the zoo and such. When she wanted to go home my parents would call her and soothe her or in terrible cases my mother would pick her up. Any advice? suggestions? Thank you.

Re: 5 y/o staying with sister out of state?

• At 5 she is old enough to let you know how she feels, talk to her and find out what she is feeling, this may seem absurd but how often do we assume children's feelings without asking them.  She may be totally cool with it and you and your parents are putting stuff on her.  Have an honest open conversation with her where she feels she can express herself and find out where she is coming from.  Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would ask the 5 year old if it is something she would like to do, but a month seems like a long time. Especially since it sounds like this would be her first time visiting you? I'd maybe start with a shorter visit if she says she's up for it. She may get homesick but at 5 I wouldn't think she would freak out about not having your parents there.

For traveling, will you be going to Wisconsin to get her and then back to Texas? And then reversing the process to bring her home? Or will you only have to do one leg of that? I'd be hesitant to take her on her first flight - especially if you don't like to fly. But 24 hours is a long time on a train. And getting a room will likely be more expensive than a plane ticket. However, between the two I'd probably opt for the train and think of it as an adventure with her.

• Loading the player...
  • When my sister was 4 we did a similar trip.

She was fine. I, on the other hand, hated the train and would never do it again.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"