February 2013 Moms

To those with heartburn...

What are you eating/drinking these days?!  I am losing my mind! Everything I ingest causes discomfort/burning.  Per my OB, I am currently taking Zantac 75 every 12 hours and taking Mylanta before meals.  I'm thinking about asking to try something different. My main issue though is FOOD.  I can't seem to find anything that doesn't punish me :(
image BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: To those with heartburn...

• You poor thing. I mainly get really bad acid reflux when laying down. For the most part I suffer through it. Before bed, I drink a big glass of milk, and have 4 tums. I usually still wake up if I roll over, and it gets bad again so I ask my hubby to bring me some more milk and he does without a question. Sometimes when I'm feeling it bad, I sit up quickly and it forces the air bubble up and I can just burp and retry laying back down. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor had me try 1/2 tsp of baking soda in 8 oz. of water.  Stir til dissolved and drink as much as you can as fast as you can.  You'll drink it fast just to be done with the less than appealing flavor.  He said I can do it again 2 hours later if needed, but if I do it once a day, I'm good all day.

I tried Tums, Mylanta and wanted to try this method before moving on to Zantac.  I hope its a viable option for you.

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry, you asked about actual food/drink when heartburn is bad...  rice with a pat of butter, milk, teriyaki chicken and if the chicken was too much I'd have the rice with teriyaki sauce, salads, smoothies, ice cream.
  • Sometimes a sour candy or carbonated beverage helps with the taste/discomfort of the acid reflux part of heartburn.

I also like to chew gum.

Like PP mentioned, milk can be helpful. Yogurt is also a good snack that doesn't seem to cause heartburn for me. 

• I am of no help. Water gives me heartburn. I don't understand it. Zantac is my BFF.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • I got a prescription for proton is pretty early on..and my OB doubled the dosage about a month ago when it stopped helping. Definitely talk to your OB about other options.
  • I eat a lot of bread and drink a lot of milk.  I also take Zantac, but the 150.  I'd up your Zantac intake. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Papaya is your new best friend!! Dried or fresh it takes away and prevents heart burn
  • I have no answers but I can commiserate! It's horrible! The reflux is the worst part to me. I've never had heartburn in my life and now I have it everyday, several times a day. Even if I don't eat! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • I get heartburn no matter what I eat or drink. Oatmeal, milk, water...doesn't matter. It tends to get worse at night and I sometimes can't even eat anything past lunch because of it. I usually take Zantac but if I need some quick relief ill take the zantac then eat a maximum strength tums or two.

• My reflux was so bad I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks partially because of it. I had it almost constantly and would burp probably 10 times an hour. I had to start taking Nexium. It is very expensive, even with insurance in my case, but it has been worth it. It pretty much got rid of all my acid reflux problems and I literally feel like a new person. I would talk to your doctor about different medication or treatment options if I were you. Heartburn in pregnancy isn't so much caused by specific foods as it is by delayed gastric emptying and the fact that we're just running out of room in there!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I've had heartburn since September and have tried altering my diet, natural remedies, Zantac and maximum strength Pepcid.  Nothing has worked.  I just started Nexium (category B) a week ago.  It's working about as well as the Pepcid so far, but I'm hoping it's just taking a while to kick in.  Most people have a lot of luck with Nexium.  

The three big things that have helped the most were 1 elevating the head of the bed 6 inches 2 eating multiple tiny meals 3 not drinking water with meals.  Also I've read black licorice helps too.  

• My issue is really acid reflux but it is caused by EVERYTHING I eat which is very frustrating.  Zantac also helps me with that.

My friend said that the only thing that worked for her heartburn was root beer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was having awful heartburn and Zantac didnt help. I started taking Prilosec 2 wks ago and haven't had any issue since then. Check w/ your OB, maybe you can take that. GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For the most part I'm staying away from tomato sauce and spicy foods.  I eat cereal almost every night.  Seems like a bland diet is the way to go, it's tough but hopefully not much longer.
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I was prego with DD#1, drinking just plain tap water gave me the most gawd awful heartburn, to say nothing of actually eating food.  The only suggestsions I got were the BRAT foods: Bananas (which I'm allergic to), Rice, Applesauce, and Toast.  I know... highly nutritious foods, right? I ate everything bland as heck.  NO spice, NO salt, NO pepper, NO butter, NO dairy.  That helped some, but made meals boring as heck.  I pretty much slept sitting up and ate what precious little I could that wouldn't make me feel like ripping my chest out.  DD was born with hair long enough to braid though.

Thankfully, this time around (so far, fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that) the Zantac is taking care of the heartburn so that I can keep eating and sleeping.

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"