Nurseries and Baby Gear

XP from 3rd Tri: Car Seat Help Needed

Hi Ladies,

We looked at car seats last night and I have been worried that my car is pretty short...but it is shorter than I thought.  I have a 2002 RAV4.  We only tried the Graco Snugride 30, but the base did not fit all the way on the seat and I am not sure if we can even install in the center since it is really 2 removable seats that form a bench.  If we have to put on passenger side, the passenger seat will have to be moved up more than is ideal I think.

Any tips?

Is it ok for the base not to fit fully on the seat?

I don't think I have latch and really have no idea how to install it, but I know there will be a manual.

Any recommendations on car seats that will work better in a smaller car?  I don't know how we will ever have a convertible rear facing in there.

Thanks for any help you have!  I am a little overwhelmed.

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

Re: XP from 3rd Tri: Car Seat Help Needed

• The Graco infant seat is one of the biggest so you just need to try some other seats.  The Cybex Aton is one of, if not, the smallest infant seat.  The Chicco is also smaller than the Graco.  

You have to read each manual to see if it allows for the base to not sit on the seat.

I think in a 2002 you do have latch but I would familiarize yourself with you car before you keep looking.  You can check out car-seat.org for some ideas.  There's a ton of knowledgeable people on there.     

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Your car manual will tell you if you have latch and which seat is best to install a carseat on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • There are also places you can go to check to see if your seat is installed correctly.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Just wanted to say that you don't need to use LATCH anchors to install a car seat safely. Installing a seat with the seatbelt is just as safe, provided you follow the instructions and do it correctly. LATCH is for ease-of-use, not added safety.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A seat belt install is just as safe as a LATCH.  I actually get a better install with the seatbelt then LATCH with my Snugride35 base.

Check the manual of the car seat to see if the base has to be all the way on the seat.  I know Graco allows some of the base to hang over the seat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • imageMainelyFoolish:
    Just wanted to say that you don't need to use LATCH anchors to install a car seat safely. Installing a seat with the seatbelt is just as safe, provided you follow the instructions and do it correctly. LATCH is for easeofuse, not added safety.

Yep. Also, many of the bases have builtin adjustments which raise and lower the back. I am not familiar with the Graco seats but we have a Chicco Keyfit seat/base and ours adjusts like I mentioned. I would highly recommend getting a professional installation before baby arrives, just so you know the ins and outs of how to best do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You could also check out Maxi Cosi's seats, they are nice and small too.

DOn't worry about the convertible, they take up less room (normally) than then US Infant seats. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"