1st Trimester

Anyone else a runner?

I run regularly all year round.  I generally do at least 2 half marathons a year.  Anyone else in their first trimester and considering a half marathon this spring?  I am obviously going to have a serious conversation with my doctor but just curious if anyone else is considering something like this.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone else a runner?

• I was actually wondering that myself. While I am not an avid runner, I have completed 4 5ks this year, 2 of them being just weeks before we conceived. I really want to get out there and at least jog but I am nervous to hurt the baby.
  • I'm also a runner, and I had already signed up for a half in May before I found out I was pregnant.  I'm due August 31, so who knows if I'll actually manage to run it.  I haven't even had my first OB appointment.  I've been running on the treadmill since I found out I was pregnant, I'm just making sure to take it a little easier/slower than I generally do.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did ask the doctor (but he will not be my regular OB) and he said theoretically you can do up to the same amount of exercise as you have been before conception, but to listen to your body and not to push it on intensity.  I have been running a couple days a week still, both on the treadmill and outside (weather permitting, I don't want to risk slipping on any ice).  But I've been stopping myself around 5 miles and have slowed down a lot.  On other days, I do the exercise bike or the elliptical.  This is my first too, and I'm stuck in the middle of wanting to keep up my routine and protect the baby.  Typically my husband and I pick a spring race and start training for it in January.
  • Me! I did 4 halfs last year. I really hope to run at least a ten miler. I am on restriction from ivf and haven't run in almost 2 months!! I cannot wait to get off restriction!
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • I admire you if you're able to do a half while pregnant.  I've been running for years but have significantly cut back on my speed and distance in the last month because I'm having problems with dizziness.  It's not just while running- I also get dizzy standing or walking too long.  So my 5 mile runs have turned into 2 mile run/1 mile walks.  It sucks.  I'm going to be so out of shape when this is done.  Good luck on keeping up your distance.  That's awesome!
  • I'm a runner, but I don't have any half marathon's coming up. I was going to sign up for one in January, but I didn't feel like I had the time to train for it so I passed.  I'll just be doing some 5K and 10K races in the coming months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I did two half last year, and signed up for one in January before I found out I was expecting.  I'll be about 9-10 weeks on race day, and my doc gave me the go-ahead to run.  He DID say not to push myself, walk if I need to, and not try to PR this time around.  Just listen to my body, basically.  They told me I can keep up with the exercise regimen I'd been doing before I became pregnant, as long as I'm feeling up to it.
  • I ran two half marathons last year and my first full in October. 

I'm planning on keeping up my same level of running as long as everything is going normally with the pregnancy. I'm a little slower, but doing well so far. I ran 10 miles last weekend and will keep up my 9-12 mile long runs on the weekends to prep for my race.

I'm signed up for a half marathon in March (signed up before I got pregnant) and I have a 10-mile race in April. I'm just planning on taking it slow and listening to my body.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • YES!  I have completed 2 x half marathons and I actually signed up for a full marathon in March before I was pregnant.  I am still running, but taking it slow and easy.  Once I talk to my doctor of course...I think I will bump my full to a half in March...I think that is a realistic plan.  You can run with me in March if you want? :)

I am also struggling with feelings of wanting to keep healthy by running and protecting the baby...but everything I have read has said that 30 mins of excersise a day is recommended during pregnancy. It will help with the mood sings too!

• I ran throughout both pregnancies. I did 3 miles the day before #2 was born. However, I didn't do very many long runs (over 5 miles) after maybe 25 weeks because it got uncomfortable with all the bounce. But running is totally safe and if I saw you in a race, I'd high-five you :)
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Yes! I am planning on doing a run in the Spring. I had purchased a fitness watch which tracks a bunch of things---but most importantly when you are pregnant, your heart rate. 

Your heart rate cannot reach or go beyond 120.

It's so helpful to have one, mine is made by Techno and I LOVE it. Good luck with the runs and pregnancy!

• imagekm.post@hotmail.com:

Your heart rate cannot reach or go beyond 120.

Unless you have a medical condition and the above was recommended by your doctor, I don't think this is good advice at all.

I'm continuing to run, albeit at a slower pace, but I ran a 10K this morning, and am still toying with doing a half in February.  You should keep your pace to where you can still have a conversation.  Don't worry so much about heart rate.  Go by how you feel. 

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"