October 2011 Moms

NBR: New Car

My midsize SUV is dying a slow, loud, painful, ugly death. I love that biitch, but she's a 2006 with 170k miles on her thanks my 4.5 year longass commute ... and after this weekend's drama ... well ... it's time. Right now we're 3.5 hours away at my parents praying she'll get us home Tuesday. As soon as we get back to our own house we want to look at Acadias since they can seat 8, but we're also open to the Ford Edge and the Toyota Highlander. I think we're going to buy brand new 0 miles, since we rack 'em up fast between our jobs and travel to family. DD's car seat is a big Britax convertible, so we'll need to be able to fit that which I don't suspect will be a problem with any of them.

So, pros or cons on these cars, Oct. '11? I obviously greatly value your opinions on all things dressy and vehicular!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: NBR: New Car

• No words of wisdom, but I'm excited for you and excited to see the pictures!
  • I have a Chevy Equinox which us a small GMC Acadia. Love it.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are in the same boat and have been looking around for new cars.  We have been looking at the Acadia, Terrian, Traverse and Equinox.  The gas mileage is not the best in the GMC Acadia & Traverse (for our needs--I drive a lot too) unless you opt for the ecofuel model.  Also, the seats don't lay completely flat in the back...I guess that isn't a problem if you don't have to deliver wedding cakes like me ;-)  

Good luck car shopping!!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I LOVE my highlander. It has a 3rd row seat, but I've never actually used it. The backseat has plenty of leg room and I've always been confortable web I sat back there with DD.

I also really like the Acadias and tell DH that every time I see one, but I've never even looked at the inside of one.
  • imageanasazi17:
    We are in the same boat and have been looking around for new cars. nbsp;We have been looking at the Acadia, Terrian, Traverse and Equinox. nbsp;The gas mileage is not the best in the GMC Acadia amp; Traverse for our needsI drive a lot too unless you opt for the ecofuel model. nbsp;Also, the seats don't lay completely flat in the back...I guess that isn't a problem if you don't have to deliver wedding cakes like me ; nbsp;nbsp;Good luck car shopping!! nbsp;

Thanks, ladies! I didn't know that about the seats. DH is already on the move this morning making calls. I might have one yet today! I'm crossing my fingers because right now I'm super worried about driving 150 miles north tomorrow in the other car. I'll post pics as soon as I get one!
  • Can't help you with those cars, but we have a Kia Sorrento with a third row that we love. It gets good gas mileage too. I hope you guys make it home safely.
  • imagelisajay09:
    I've been looking at the Honda Pilot and I really like it. I hate to admit, but I prefer non American cars. Better gas mileage and they hold their value better. So not patriotic but whatevs.

I'm with you on this.  It it weren't for our GM family discount, we would be getting a Honda, Subaru or Toyota for the reasons you mentioned.  

• imageanasazi17:

imagelisajay09:
    I've been looking at the Honda Pilot and I really like it. I hate to admit, but I prefer non American cars. Better gas mileage and they hold their value better. So not patriotic but whatevs.

I'm with you on this.  It it weren't for our GM family discount, we would be getting a Honda, Subaru or Toyota for the reasons you mentioned.  

This. I'd love a Toyota, but DH gets a contractor discount at a few GM dealerships, so I'm sure that's how we'll go.
  • I have a Acadia and I LOVE it! It's my favorite earthly possession. Is amazing and I can't say enough about it. We got it in Nov 2011 and I haven't had 1 complaint or issue. And the gas mileage is awesome for long highway trips. We made it from PA to Ocean City MD (5hr drive) on less than 3/4 of a tank of gas and had enough gas to travel the whole week we were there. Plus we had 4 adults and 2 RFing babies with us. We had 1 child RFing in the 2nd row and 1 RFing in the 3rd row. No one was uncomfortable. We have the Acadia with the captains seats in the 2nd row. 

I, like Lisajay, never wanted an American car for the same reasons she listed. But then I researched, test drove and fell in love with my Acadia. I don't have one regret about getting it. I was between the Honda Pilot, the Acadia and the Buick Enclave. the Enclave the was WORST car I've ever seen, and never even test drove it. I seriously love my car!!  

ETA: both back rows of seats also fold flat and we've fit everything in this car. I've put a treadmill in there with both kids and their car seats.  

• We just looked at a Dodge Journey. I normally don't buy American but OMG. Comfortable, quick, seats 8 and MSRP is under 30. I couldn't believe how quiet the engine is or how smooth it drives. It's a V6 vs the Equinox being a 4.
  • Oh and in the Journey both rows of seats fold flat and there are floor cubbies for stashing toys. You can get the second row with built in booster seats for older kids.
  • I have a 2009 Dodge Journey and love it! It has third row seating capable of folding down, spacious, smooth ride, and tons of storage. The price was more affordable for us than Equinox and Edge.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagekagl08:

I have a Acadia and I LOVE it! It's my favorite earthly possession. Is amazing and I can't say enough about it. We got it in Nov 2011 and I haven't had 1 complaint or issue. And the gas mileage is awesome for long highway trips. We made it from PA to Ocean City MD (5hr drive) on less than 3/4 of a tank of gas and had enough gas to travel the whole week we were there. Plus we had 4 adults and 2 RFing babies with us. We had 1 child RFing in the 2nd row and 1 RFing in the 3rd row. No one was uncomfortable. We have the Acadia with the captains seats in the 2nd row. 

I, like Lisajay, never wanted an American car for the same reasons she listed. But then I researched, test drove and fell in love with my Acadia. I don't have one regret about getting it. I was between the Honda Pilot, the Acadia and the Buick Enclave. the Enclave the was WORST car I've ever seen, and never even test drove it. I seriously love my car!!  

ETA: both back rows of seats also fold flat and we've fit everything in this car. I've put a treadmill in there with both kids and their car seats.  

Good to know the Acadia's seats do lay flat...that is a must have for me and the cakes!!  I thought they didn't...yay!! 
  • imagelisajay09:

Buying American doesn't help the economy or keep American jobs any more than buying foreign so don't feel bad. Toyota is apparently the most American Manufacturer. I think the Pilot is higher on the list than the Acadia.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/07/05/mostamericancarsindex_n_1652219.html
  • I got the GMC Yukon XL, obviously not a midsize, but I love it... So I would go with the Acadia. Get red, we can match!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"