Cloth Diapering

Considering cloth, hubby suggested a service

I know we have a while to get this figured out. We've never done cloth but would like to do so this time. DH wants to get a cloth diaper service. Does anyone use a service? Advice? 
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Try Citrus Lane and save 50%

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

06/05/04 at 3, two became one.

Re: Considering cloth, hubby suggested a service

• A cloth diaper service will limit you to prefolds or flats with covers. Nothing wrong with those options but the cost of the diaper service is comparable to disposables.

Why does he want to use a service? 

• Everyone I know who's done it loved the no laundry aspect.  But as PP said you're limited to prefolds or flats with covers with most services.  A lot of daycares won't do that, if you plan to use a daycare. 

Also my top three reasons for using cloth were healthier for baby, saving money, and better for the enviornment.  You wouldn't be saving money over disposables using a service.  Also using a service there's the added fuel usage for them to pick up and drop off diapers.  Not to mention you don't have control over what chemicals/soaps are used to clean the diapers.  So for me a service didn't fit with my reasons for using cloth.

That being said, a service can be a great way to get your feet wet with cloth.  Maybe do it for a month or two to see if you like it.  Then you can start building your own stash and doing the laundry at home.  Really the laundry is NBD.  Just becomes part of your usual routine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I guess a dipaer service would be nice haha, no laundry but I honestly like washing my son's diapers...its kind of rewarding when they're all clean and nicely placed in bins, but that's just me.  If you don't want to do laundry then I'm sure this would work out for you, but you also have to think about the costs. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• I used one on my maternity leave with DD, being a complete CD novice. The owner came to my house to do a free consultation during my pregnancy which was wonderful in many ways...except the fold she taught me trifold w/ cuff was completely wrong for newborns! DH and I were washing out covers after nearly every poop, which discouraged us from keeping it up. At the time, i didn't know any better to ask about different folds. However, I still think it was a good way to demystify CD for us and make it less intimidating. The service we used was really good allinall.

Now that I'm pregnant with DS, I kicked up my own research and feel confident that DH and I can do it ourselves laundry and all. It will be a greater savings, too. Looking back, though, I'm glad we opened the CD door w/ the service, and if something isn't working, reach out to them. I'm sure if I had, the owner would have helped troubleshoot my fold style.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We don't use a service because in our area it would cost about the same as disposables. We use cloth primarily for the cost savings, so a service wouldn't make sense for us.

Diaper laundry really isn't a big deal, though. If you dislike laundry, a service might be a great choice. But if you are interested in cloth to save money, I would consider just buying diapers and washing them yourself.

• He was thinking of the laundry factor. This is our *last one* (I swear this time!), we have 3 teenagers and a 5y/o already. Cloth diapering is totally new to us. I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm open to the idea of laundering them myself. I'm actually really excited about CDing! I've BFed all my kids and will this one too. It seems to me a natural fit. I don't know why we didn't consider it before. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Try Citrus Lane and save 50%

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

06/05/04 at 3, two became one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"