Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Fussy baby - 7 weeks, normal?

Our baby is 7 weeks today.  He has been a really good baby up til about 4 days ago.  He only cried if he was cold (diaper change) and hungry.  Now, he will cry off and on from 6pm to 10 pm, and today he has started doing it all morning also.  He will just lay there with his eyes closed crying.  He will sleep when I can finally get him to.  It seems nursing is the only thing that really calms him down, so I do that, but lets be honest - I cant nurse him 24/7! 

Is this normal? Tips? He seems to have gas a lot, but sometimes that isnt the problem.  I also didnt drink caffeine during my pregnancy or for the last 7 weeks but in the last 3 days I have had 1 big redbull a day - could caffeine be the cause? Thanks for your help ladies :)

Re: Fussy baby - 7 weeks, normal?

• DS was the chillest baby ever....til about 6 weeks. Then he was doing what your LO is doing. He would scream for 3 hours every night. I was worried he had colic. There is a 6 week growth spurt that s supposedly awful, and I think that is what it was. He is 8 weeks now and back to his old self. I bet that is what your LO is going through. It lasted about a week for me. Bouncing him and wearing him helped alot. I also used gripe water in his evening bottles to help with any gas issues. GL! It will get better soon.
  • I doubt that caffeine is the culprit. Babies just become fussy as they reach a certain age. Finnegan's fussiness began around two weeks. Some days more than others. You have to keep in mind, that at this young age, babies don't have a 'normal'. They are constantly changing and full of surprises :) I would recommend a pacifier if you feel that he is nursing for the sake of sucking, rather than nutrition. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hang in there mama...I doubt it's the caffeine, but I would try cutting the red bull and see if that helps. You can also try: bouncing on a yoga ball, a swing, bouncer, tight swaddle, wearing him in a wrap, bicycling his legs, giving him mylicon (if you think it's gas), using a pacifier (instead of always nursing if you think he just wants to suck). Good luck!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagewatermellens:
    Hang in there mama...I doubt it's the caffeine, but I would try cutting the red bull and see if that helps. You can also try: bouncing on a yoga ball, a swing, bouncer, tight swaddle, wearing him in a wrap, bicycling his legs, giving him mylicon (if you think it's gas), using a pacifier (instead of always nursing if you think he just wants to suck). Good luck!

yeah, I'd cut the Bull, so to speak! Also, sounds like the six week growth spurt (my Doula texted me today to warn us it would be coming soon!)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is a growth spurt that most babies hit somewhere between 5 and 7 weeks, so it's very possible that is what's going on.  During these "fun" times my LO gets really fussy and the only thing I can do to calm her is to bounce her while walking around the house.  Hang in there!

On a side note, if your LO is crying out of pain obviously that is different.  My poor girl had an undiagnosed milk protein allergy so she was screaming for a few hours every night.  Once we got that issue resolved she went straight into the growth spurt, so it was a rough couple of weeks.   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As others have said, I've heard the 6 week growth spurt can make them super fussy. I've also heard that fussiness can peak between 6-8 weeks and will start to taper from there, so maybe your LO is just going through a "fussy period". Our LO was terribly fussy from 5 or 6p til midnight from 3 weeks til 6 weeks. She still has her days, but overall it's gotten a lot better.

A tip that seemed to help me, get LO to nap some of that time. If you know it begins at 6p, try to get them down for a nap around 530. My LO would begin at 6, so I would get her down and in her swing for a nap around 6, and she would sleep at least a couple hours of it! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree that it's your baby's age. Our DD cried quite a bit those first 3 months, but she has gotten so much better. She was very unpredictable and can still be a little. They change so fast and grow out of a lot of things quickly. I've also read that crying peaks at 6 weeks so hang in there! I thought DD peaked at about 8 weeks. Try to get your baby to sleep during those fussy times. DD was overtired so much and we had no idea.
    TTC #1 since May 2010
    9/10 and 1/11 Normal blood work
    2/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    4/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    5/11 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    6/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    7/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    SA normal and HSG all clear
    11/11 14 HMG shots with HCG trigger = BFN
    12/11 Femara + HMG = BFP!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.