Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

long road trip w/ almost 4 month old advice

I am planning a trip to Massachusetts from North Carolina (about 11 hours) at the end of January to see my family. We are driving and need some advice.

I am EBF but plan to pump so we don't have to stop every time LO is hungry. I don't know how to store and prepare a bottle in the car?

Any tips on how to keep an almost 4 month old happy in a car seat? 

Would you recommend making it in 2 days or 1? Driving over night? He sleeps good at night so i think he would either sleep or be fussy in the car seat and screw up his day schedule. 

It's so overwhelming so any helpful advice is appreciated. TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: long road trip w/ almost 4 month old advice

• Options
    I have taken a long road trip with DD (11 hours each way) and a few shorter ones (6 hours each way).  For the long one I broke it up into two days each way.  I think it really helped.  We were able to be leisurely about it.  I also EBF.  I brought my pump with the idea that I would give bottles in the car, but in the end I didn't.  We stopped for a few nursing/diaper change/wiggle breaks each day and that worked nicely.  I had my pump, a small cooler for expressed milk, and a bottle warmer that plugged into the cigarette lighter.  I think that setup would have work well.  We rotated drivers often and had someone in the back seat with her for about half the time.  She seemed to enjoy the attention and it kept her happy.  In the end it went much more smoothly than I expected.  I hope the same thing happens for you!  Good luck!
  • Options

Completely understand your concern. We have a 5 months old that has been doing 5 hour car trips since 2 months old. Recommend if you can do it over night to do it! LO does best around the time he is normally asleep and we can go all the way home. BUT if we drive during the day he is usually bored so someone has to sit with him.

How to make him happy? Just sit in the back & interact & pick up the toys he drops. We also have a refrigerated pack (like a lunch bag that you would bring to work to keep your food cold) for the prepumped milk.

Another advice, do not stop unless he needs too. We do bathroom & food stops when he wakes up or needs a break. I stopped once to pick up fruit at a fruit stand (minutes) and he woke up & wanted fed, though it was during the day.  I know with a 11 hr trip that might be more difficult, just try to keep the stops to a minimum if possible. Good luck & your LO will do great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"