October 2011 Moms

Where Do You Stash LO?

I am not one of those moms who takes E into the bathroom with me. Nowadays the house is so babyproofed, I can leave for a second and not worry. For example, I left my phone in the car yesterday and took 30 seconds to walk out and get it while E played with a puzzle on the floor. But I don't really have a place to put her for a longer stretch for example, a shower or a longer trip to the bathroom. When she was newborn, I would put her in her crib and turn on the mobile. Then it was the exersaucer. Now my only place is the high chair with a snack. Do you have a place you put LO when you need a moment or do you just leave them to play on their own? E is really good about playing alone so I'm fine with this, but I'm curious as to what other moms do. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Where Do You Stash LO?

• I just let him play by himself.  He's really good about that.  He does love following me into the bathroom, so if I have to go #2, I just sneak away quietly while he's playing. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I shower when she's asleep or someone else is home, else I don't shower.  If I left her somewhere safe long enough for a shower she'd get seriously pissed off.  For a bathroom trip, I'll sometimes just leave her playing with her toys, but it depends on her mood.  I can tell if she's going to sit quietly and keep reading her books/playing with her toys or if she's going to get into mischief and wander around.  If she's in a rambunctious mood I'll either put her in the crib with some toys/books or take her with me to the bathroom with a couple of toys to occupy her (I don't prefer taking her with me, but sometimes there's no option).

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• Loading the player...
  • For a shower, I put the baby gate at the top of the stairs and get in the shower. He is fine playing and roaming the second floor. He plays in his room or opens drawers in the bathroom. It's just fine. 
  • imageLCass:
    I shower when she's asleep or someone else is home, else I don't shower.  If I left her somewhere safe long enough for a shower she'd get seriously pissed off.  For a bathroom trip, I'll sometimes just leave her playing with her toys, but it depends on her mood.  I can tell if she's going to sit quietly and keep reading her books/playing with her toys or if she's going to get into mischief and wander around.  If she's in a rambunctious mood I'll either put her in the crib with some toys/books or take her with me to the bathroom with a couple of toys to occupy her (I don't prefer taking her with me, but sometimes there's no option).

This is pretty much me. N usually follows me to the bathroom and I don't trust her not to totally destroy the house to take a shower. I shower when DH gets home or when she's napping. Sometimes I'll revert to the "shower bath" and that works well. She soaks and plays in a little bit of bath water and I shower simultaneously. I don't usually put her in her crib anymore because it just ticks her off but sometimes she'll sit on the floor and read her books or play with her noise making toys. She's definitely getting better at independent play but the messes seem to be getting bigger. :P

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Honnestly, If no one is home, I use the bathroom off the living room and DD usually follows me in there. If DH is home then we just tag team her. I know he puts her in a high chair with a snack sometimes.
  • Our living room is pretty well baby proofed. We have swinging door baby gates on the doorways in there. If I need to run to the bathroom or something I just shut the baby gates and he plays in the livingroom. There really isn't anything he can get into in there. I usually only shower during his first nap or if DH is home. 
  • I leave the bathroom door open, sometimes she comes in sometimes she doesn't. I would never take a shower or walk outside with her in the house alone unless she was in her crib sleeping. If Im home alone i shower in the hall bath with the door open so i can hear if she wakes up. Regardless of how baby proof your house is there are still 1,001 things they could hurt themselves on wreck.
  • Also just out of curiosity what's with not being "one of those moms who takes their kid in the bathroom"? That's like potty training 101.
  • My bathroom is an open door lately. When I home alone with the kids I use the downstairs bathroom and just leave the door open. They come and go as they please. When someone's home I ask who wants to come in with me. I have at least 1 kid in the bathroom with me at all times. As for a shower, I shower once they go to sleep. Our house is mostly all baby proofed but they can't handle my shower time. 
  • imagecantalopes24:
    Also just out of curiosity what's with not being "one of those moms who takes their kid in the bathroom"? That's like potty training 101.

I know several moms who take their kids into the bathroom whenever the mom has to go. I don't do that. I do know I'll have to potty train her one day, but that's not what I'm referring to. 

• I only go to the bathroom alone when they are asleep or DH is home, it is a family event here.  I only shower when DH is home or they are asleep. We keep our pnp as a holding station on the first floor if I am dealing with DD using the bathroom or if I am trying to get them ready to leave the house.

I wouldn't leave LO in the high chair alone for fear of them reaching and it tipping and definitely not alone with a snack for fear of choking.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • imagecantalopes24:
    I leave the bathroom door open, sometimes she comes in sometimes she doesn't. I would never take a shower or walk outside with her in the house alone unless she was in her crib sleeping. If Im home alone i shower in the hall bath with the door open so i can hear if she wakes up. Regardless of how baby proof your house is there are still 1,001 things they could hurt themselves on wreck.

Almost word for word, exactly the same.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagecantalopes24:
    I leave the bathroom door open, sometimes she comes in sometimes she doesn't. I would never take a shower or walk outside with her in the house alone unless she was in her crib sleeping. If Im home alone i shower in the hall bath with the door open so i can hear if she wakes up. Regardless of how baby proof your house is there are still 1,001 things they could hurt themselves on wreck.

Almost word for word, exactly the same.

Yup!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecantalopes24:
    Also just out of curiosity what's with not being "one of those moms who takes their kid in the bathroom"? That's like potty training 101.

I don't trust her to play on her own, even with babyproofing.  I shower while she naps or someone's is home.  Otherwise, she goes in the bathroom with me.  I know we are far from potty training, but if Nora comes in there with me, I sit her on the potty across from me. She stays acclaimated to the potty, and she sometimes goes if she sits long enough.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagecantalopes24:

This is us.  DH and I always leave the bathroom door open regardless of situation and DD always follows us in.  I guess we were thinking that it would help make the bathroom a friendly place for future potty training.  I only do things away from her when she is asleep, otherwise she is pretty much attached to my hip...

• imagelisajay09:
    Am I the I only one that uses the pack n play, or dare I say, PLAYPEN? DS used to hang out in there with some toys while I showered, brought in groceries, got the mail, cleaned, laundry...anytime I needed him safe so I could do something. He loved it in there. I would still put him in there if I had the room in my house now to open that sucker up. DD didn't spend as much time in there because we didn't have the room with the 2 kids to keep the pnp out. Plus, DH is home with me so there's no need for it anymore. But, I don't understand why people don't use playpens anymore? Safe. Fun. Productive. What's the problem?

We don't have room to set it up anywhere.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagelisajay09:
    Am I the I only one that uses the pack n play, or dare I say, PLAYPEN? DS used to hang out in there with some toys while I showered, brought in groceries, got the mail, cleaned, laundry...anytime I needed him safe so I could do something. He loved it in there. I would still put him in there if I had the room in my house now to open that sucker up. DD didn't spend as much time in there because we didn't have the room with the 2 kids to keep the pnp out. Plus, DH is home with me so there's no need for it anymore. But, I don't understand why people don't use playpens anymore? Safe. Fun. Productive. What's the problem?

OMG I totally forgot about the PNP! I have one but I forgot about it. I've been waiting for DH to be home to shower or do anything that takes any amount of time like go out to get the mail. I am fine leaving her alone for literally a minute, but beyond that worries me. The PNP's a good idea. This is exactly the kind of idea I was looking for.  Thank you!

• imagejonnygurl76:

I only go to the bathroom alone when they are asleep or DH is home, it is a family event here.  I only shower when DH is home or they are asleep. We keep our pnp as a holding station on the first floor if I am dealing with DD using the bathroom or if I am trying to get them ready to leave the house.

I wouldn't leave LO in the high chair alone for fear of them reaching and it tipping and definitely not alone with a snack for fear of choking.

Hmmm... of all of the things I worry about, I hadn't thought to worry about this. I certainly worry about choking during meals, and I never leave her alone for these. The times I've stashed her in her high chair to run to the mailbox or bring in the diapers, I've left her with puffs and water or what we call her cocktail (1/2 juice, 1/2 water). Not fruit or anything else she is more likely to choke, but I'm sure you're right about the risk. 

• imagelisajay09:

If she refuses to take her morning nap or we have to be somewhere prior to that I will put her in the PNP while I shower. We have it sitting in the corner of the living room. I will pull it out give her some toys and turn on Sesame Street or something similar. I put the monitor in there so that I can take the other end in the bathroom and still hear her. We live in a small rancher so I'm not that far away if I use the hallway bathroom.

If I just need to use the bathroom I don't put her in the PNP. Sometimes she follows me in and sometimes she won't even notice that I left the room. If I might be a little longer I usually put her in her bedroom since I can see her from the bathroom instead of leaving her in the living room where I can't see her.
  • imagemissyleaferg:

imagelisajay09:

The bold.

• imagejonnygurl76:

This is my fear too. I will leave her in the highchair to quickly use the restroom but no longer than that.

• imagelisajay09:

This! I have the pnp set up in our master and DD goes in it when I shower. She's pretty content to sit in there and play on her own. I also turn on Sprout for extra distraction.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• E's room is totally babyproofed. It's all hers. 
  • I only shower when DH is home. If I have to use the restroom, DD comes with me. Our living room is gated and baby proofed so there isn't that much she can get into, except she is now able to climb onto the couch. I do not leave her roaming around if I have to do anything out of sight for more than a few seconds.

We still have our playpen in the living room so if I need to do something for a few minutes, she hangs out (aka. fusses) for a minute or two in there.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • imagemissyleaferg:

imagelisajay09:

This.  There's no problem whatsoever with using the PNP as a playpen.  We don't have space to keep it set up all the time, though.  We use it for when we're travelling for her to sleep in and that's basically it.  Until my parents babyproofed their place I used it for containment when I needed to go to the bathroom when I was the only one with her.  I'd just toss in a couple toys/books and she'd yell at me for a second as I left and then entertain herself quite nicely.

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• imageMs.Jade:

imagecantalopes24:

I know several moms who take their kids into the bathroom whenever the mom has to go. I don't do that. I do know I'll have to potty train her one day, but that's not what I'm referring to. 

I think what Lopes was referring to is the fact that it helps kids with potty training to have watched their parents going to the bathroom.  You will likely need to take her with you when you go to the bathroom at some stage, so she learns what you do in there.

• imageLCass:
    imageMs.Jade:

imagecantalopes24:

I think what Lopes was referring to is the fact that it helps kids with potty training to have watched their parents going to the bathroom.  You will likely need to take her with you when you go to the bathroom at some stage, so she learns what you do in there.

Oh boy. I hadn't even considered this as a first step in potty training. I have done zero research on it since I thought I still had a few months to familiarize myself.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"