February 2012 Moms

Pill question: DH wants me to take morning after pill?!

Okay, with traveling and everything, I've been a bit lax with my pill this past week and DH is on the freak out train. Help me out here, because Google isn't.

I took my pill 10ish hours late twice last week (probably my Wednesday and Thursday pills?) and had sex last night. What are the chances I'll get pregnant? Much greater than if I'd taken it like I'm supposed to? My mom and aunt had seven kids between them while on birth control because they're forgetful, so I don't really want to write it off.

I was taught the morning after pill flushes things out after the sperm and egg join, and I consider it a form of abortion...ish? I'm just not comfortable with it, especially if I don't have to. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pill question: DH wants me to take morning after pill?!

• The morning after pill is nothing like abortion this is taken directly from Planned Parenthood website. 

One type of emergency contraception (Plan B One-Step, Next Choice, Levonorgestrel Tablets) is made of one of the hormones made by a woman's body ? progestin. Another type (ella) blocks the body's own progestin.

Both types of emergency contraception work by keeping a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs ? ovulation. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm.

You might have also heard that the morning-after pill causes an abortion. But that's not true. The morning-after pill is not the abortion pill. Emergency contraception is birth control, not abortion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It can technically prevent a fertilized egg from implanting.

What week are you on in your pack? If it's the first week you're chances of an accidental pregnancy are higher. If it's your second or third week you're probably fine. Just to be on the safe side I would use backup protection for the rest of this pack.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMar5195:
    The morning after pill is nothing like abortion this is taken directly from Planned Parenthood website. 

One type of emergency contraception (Plan B One-Step, Next Choice, Levonorgestrel Tablets) is made of one of the hormones made by a woman's body ? progestin. Another type (ella) blocks the body's own progestin.

Both types of emergency contraception work by keeping a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs ? ovulation. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm.

You might have also heard that the morning-after pill causes an abortion. But that's not true. The morning-after pill is not the abortion pill. Emergency contraception is birth control, not abortion.

Ditto this.  Plan B is a higher dose of BCPs and prevents ovulation, not implementation.  It doesn't cause an early miscarriage or anything like that, it prevents you from getting pregnant.

• Ditto what everyone else has said. Not an abortion.
    < img width=300 src="http://tinyurl.com/as97yc8"1" /> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think you're supposed to take the morning after pill if you're already on hormonal birth control. Like PP said, it's basically a high dose of the BC pill.

Your likelihood of getting pregnant definitely depends on what week you're on. I've been late by a few hours and by a day before and have never gotten pregnant on the pill. Obviously, everyone is different though.
  • As PP said, Plan B is no more an abortifacient than your daily BCP, because that is precisely what they are... higher doses of the same hormones as the ones you are taking every day. 

I would say that two pills taken late are not a big risk as long as you took them that day. However, if you sometimes have difficulty remembering to take your pills, I highly suggest switching to the patch or nuvaring . 

• imagefootnotegirl:

As PP said, Plan B is no more an abortifacient than your daily BCP, because that is precisely what they are... higher doses of the same hormones as the ones you are taking every day. 

I would say that two pills taken late are not a big risk as long as you took them that day. However, if you sometimes have difficulty remembering to take your pills, I highly suggest switching to the patch or nuvaring . 

Ha, I totally agree! My insurance doesn't cover anything but the regular old pill, so I'm stuck. I have an alarm on my phone and am very diligent at home. I was pissed at myself for missing it like that. And I SO wish I could just get an IUD and be done with it all. 

• This is a regular BCP, not a mini-pill, right?  If this isn't your first pack, I don't think I would be too worried.  Do you still have the insert from the pill pack? You normally have to miss two days completely before they tell you to use a back-up method.

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• If it is the mini pill, I would be concerned. If it was the regular pill, I wouldn't worry much. You took the pills, but just late. You didn't miss them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekristin172429:
    This is a regular BCP, not a mini-pill, right?  If this isn't your first pack, I don't think I would be too worried.  Do you still have the insert from the pill pack? You normally have to miss two days completely before they tell you to use a back-up method.

Yeah, it's a regular pill. I found this: https://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_you_take_the_morning_after_pill_if_you're_on_the_birth_control_pill. I think I'll do without the morning after pill this time...whew! 

• No advice here, but I am in tge same boat. We're in Mexico and my normal routine went completely out the window. I was on my last week of pills, so should get my period soon. I'll be nervous until it comes!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• My understanding is that it CAN prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. Because of that, I am not OK with it as an option for myself. I took it once a few years ago, before I knew what it really did and while I was still on hormonal birth control which, BTW, can also do the same thing, just so you know... Sounds like all you can really do is hope for the best. Sorry that doesn't help things! :-(
  • imageNatesLady1309:
    My understanding is that it CAN prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. Because of that, I am not OK with it as an option for myself. I took it once a few years ago, before I knew what it really did and while I was still on hormonal birth control which, BTW, can also do the same thing, just so you know... Sounds like all you can really do is hope for the best. Sorry that doesn't help things! :-(

This exactly.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageNatesLady1309:
    My understanding is that it CAN prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. Because of that, I am not OK with it as an option for myself. I took it once a few years ago, before I knew what it really did and while I was still on hormonal birth control which, BTW, can also do the same thing, just so you know... Sounds like all you can really do is hope for the best. Sorry that doesn't help things! :-(

https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57448998-10391704/investigation-reveals-morning-after-pill-may-not-prevent-implantation/

Studies since 2002 have shown otherwise. The FDA hasn't changed their requirement for the labels on it for some reason, but studies have shown that it only prevents ovulation and fertilization not implantation. I think the issue is that there is no way to prove that it will never, ever prevent implamantation, but I personally don't think you can look at it that way because as we all learned during our pregnancies basically everything you do while pregnant carries a small chance of miscarriage, from what you eat to your physical activities. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"