Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Sleep schedule?

This is probably normal, but I need to check with other moms.  DS is 4 months old, he goes to bed between 8:30-9:30 every night, and he is up every three hours like clock work.  The longest between feedings (breastfeeding) he will go is one 4 hour stretch but he's not asleep the whole 4 hours.  I get up, I feed him, I change his diaper, and then DH will rock him back to sleep.  Usually takes about 40 minutes total.  He's up for good between 6:30-7:30.

DS had his 4 month checkup on Friday.  The pedi. said he is biologically capable of sleeping through the night.  That he is ready to start solids and that will help him sleep longer at night.  And that he is most likely only nursing for comfort at this point.

I know I'm in good company here, but I AM EXHAUSTED!!!  I just need to know if I'm doing all I can to promote sleep at night, or if I'm doing something wrong.  Every night I go to bed hoping that this is the night he'll sleep all the way through, I know someday this will end, but dear lord, when???

Any suggestions or opinions is appreciated.  Thanks as always!!

Gus Gus
Born: August 27th, 2012
8lbs. 15oz. 20" @ 7:07pm
August 2012 July Siggy: Pool Baby
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Follow The White Rabitt

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Sleep schedule?

• I highly recommend reading 12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks Old. Even though your LO is older than 12 weeks, it's not too late to start. We started with DD at 9 weeks, and she sleeps from 8:30pm-7:30-8am every night. And at the time, she was sleeping a max of 4 hours.

I also recommend the escape proof swaddle technique if you swaddle.

Good luck! 

• My LO is not sleeping thru the night either. She is still getting up 2-3 times to eat. I would suggest what my peds did and train him to put himself back to sleep. It is exhausting and takes a few night but....feed him til he is drowsy and then wake him slightly (change diaper/ night clothes). Lay him down drowsy but not completely asleep. The goal is that he will be able to soothe himself and fall back to sleep without your constant intervention. I found that DD was not always waking to eat but just bc she didnt know how to soothe herself back to sleep. Now I can at least feed her and set her down. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker 
  • Loading the player...
  • DS doesn't sleep any longer on solids and he's been on them for a month, FWIW.

It sounds like the four month wakeful. It lasted five weeks for us and started at 3.5 months old. Their little brains are developing so rapidly that it causes them to keep waking up. It does end though...we're over it and back to sleeping 8pm to 7am now!
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"