January 2013 Moms

Membrane stripping

I will be 40 weeks tomorrow and my doctor stripped my membranes today. Anyone have any luck with that before? I'm 2 cm dilated and 90 effaced and baby is super duper low. Just kind of wondering what to expect...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Membrane stripping

• With my first pregnancy my Dr stripped my membranes at 39w4d (I was 3 cm and maybe 70-80% effaced I think). I had some mild cramping and a little spotting that afternoon and woke up to fairly regular contractions the next morning. Baby was born later that evening. Good luck--hope baby shows up soon!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • No experience but wanted to say good luck! It seems like I've read post where a lot of girls here had experiences like PP. From what I've read it seems that membrane stripping only works if your body is pretty much ready to go into labor on its own anyway. It sounds like your body has been making progress naturally anyway so it might just work for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't answer your question, but have a question for you - did the procedure hurt?  My ob and I discussed this if I don't go into labor on my own (hoping to avoid an induction if possible). 
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • I had it done at 40w last time (I was 2cm and 80% effaced) and it didn't work.  At the time my OB told me that it had a 50/50 chance of working and if it was going to send me into labor it would happen within 24-48 hours, if I'm remembering correctly.

I was really sore and crampy for a day, maybe two, but definitely no labor.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Did the membrane stripping hurt?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went into labor the day I had it done... But I was over a week late. It didn't hurt. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageEags:
    I can't answer your question, but have a question for you did the procedure hurt?nbsp; My ob and I discussed this if I don't go into labor on my own hoping to avoid an induction if possible.nbsp;

It was uncomfortable but not painful. I didn't even know she was done. I thought she was just examining me.

• Had that done with DD1 and was crampy the rest of the day and went into labor at 2:30 a.m that night she was born at 5:23 pm; good luck!! I'm going to ask to have my membranes stripped at my appt on Wednesday
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecodeaard:
    imageEags:
    I can't answer your question, but have a question for you did the procedure hurt?nbsp; My ob and I discussed this if I don't go into labor on my own hoping to avoid an induction if possible.nbsp;

It was uncomfortable but not painful. I didn't even know she was done. I thought she was just examining me.

That makes me feel better then, thanks!! I hope yours works!
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • With DD#1, I had it done at 40w4d. I went into labor less than 24 hrs later. It didn't hurt, but at that point I was soooo done I was ready for them to do anything :) 

I had an apt for this one yesterday at 38w4d and she said it generally works better for 1st time moms, but that they would do it at my next apt if I wanted. So I have an apt next Monday at 39w4d and they will strip my membranes then. My due date is Jan 10th and they said at my next apt I can also set an induction date if I want (which I probably will if I don't have much going on by then). They checked me yesterday and said I am 50% effaced, dialated to almost 2. Soooo...things are slooowly progressing... 

• I am debating having this done at my appointment tomorrow. At my last appointment she said I was def thinning out and was 3cm dilated. I have been having BH and mild contractions but nothing I can time. I am due on the 3rd and the appointment is on the second. I was nervous about it, but after reading up on it, it does not seem as invasive as I thought. Glad you asked this question. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"