Cloth Diapering

Weekly DIY Check In

Do you have any DIY tips to share? Anything that has saved you a lot of time, money, or effort?

Did any of you ladies do the December DIY Challenge? Post pictures and let us know how it worked out for you! Did you make any changes, or have any tips to share for anyone else?

imageimageimage
imageimage
Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
It all revolves around you.

Re: Weekly DIY Check In

• I did the legwarmers!  Okay, to be fair, my mom did 3 of the legwarmers and I did the 4th one.  And I'm super proud of that one single legwarmer, because I don't know how to sew.  We found these striped toe socks at the grocery store for 2 bucks, so they aren't as December-y as the fleece, but I think they turned out super cute!  Thanks so much for the tutorial, I love the legwarmers!

TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • imageTJ1979:

I did the legwarmers!  Okay, to be fair, my mom did 3 of the legwarmers and I did the 4th one.  And I'm super proud of that one single legwarmer, because I don't know how to sew.  We found these striped toe socks at the grocery store for 2 bucks, so they aren't as December-y as the fleece, but I think they turned out super cute!  Thanks so much for the tutorial, I love the legwarmers!

That came out great! I forgot to add in the last challenge (although with toe socks it wouldn't work) but you can use the foot of the sock to make a little bootie for baby too!

imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, I do have a tip I forgot to mention.  A friend of mine told me that after the LO outgrows the legwarmers, you can put in a thumbhole and use them as arm warmer thingies (not sure if they have a name.)  I am certainly not crafty enough to know how to do a thumbhole, but I bet someone crafty like you could figure it out!
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Still working on the overall... also working on a knit sweater.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemargaretkaye1:

I took the foot of the sock and cut the middle part out, then sewed it like 1/2 inch in and folded it over and sewed it to the bottom to make a smaller cuff. I'm lazy when it comes to buying supplies lol. It's probably better tho, bc whenever I go I end up buying a crap ton of stuff I won't use for eons. 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Honestly, I'm a little worried about a couple of my dryer balls and I didn't have time to fix them. I've made like a zillion so I don't know what the issue was this time. But I could see the wool scraps through the wool roving in a couple spots on like 3 of them. Like it was just too thin in those spots so you could see some red underneath. Not like it was poking through or anything. I hope they don't come apart :/ I tried to give that set to B SIL but I don't think it worked out that way lol

Super cute!  I love your patterns, especially the argyle.

beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • imagemargaretkaye1:
    imageTJ1979:
    imagemargaretkaye1:

I took the foot of the sock and cut the middle part out, then sewed it like 1/2 inch in and folded it over and sewed it to the bottom to make a smaller cuff. I'm lazy when it comes to buying supplies lol. It's probably better tho, bc whenever I go I end up buying a crap ton of stuff I won't use for eons. 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Honestly, I'm a little worried about a couple of my dryer balls and I didn't have time to fix them. I've made like a zillion so I don't know what the issue was this time. But I could see the wool scraps through the wool roving in a couple spots on like 3 of them. Like it was just too thin in those spots so you could see some red underneath. Not like it was poking through or anything. I hope they don't come apart :/ I tried to give that set to B SIL but I don't think it worked out that way lol

Super cute!  I love your patterns, especially the argyle.

thanks. Target. Lol 

I recognized these from Target, I picked some up for myself! So adorable!

I have two thought about making thumb holes... You can use a sewing machine with a long button hole function, or if your leg warmer is just regular old cotton jersey the edges don't need to be finished since they won't fray.

imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • I would definitely try the button hole function to make a thumb hole. Some machines will even do button holes with rounded edges or teardrop shapes (rather than just a straight line). The only tricky part might be making sure you don't accidentally sew both sides together.

My only craft lately has been the eye pillows I made as Christmas presents. I never did get to make our stockings, so I think I'm going to try to do that this week before I put all of our decorations away. 

I also really want to make a mat for DS naked time. (His yeast infection is still raging!) I think I will call it a "bare skin" rug. I figure I can use PUL for the bottom layer, then terrycloth for absorption as the middle layer. I just can't figure out whether to top it with flannel to help absorb or minky to make it stay-dry on top. Will pee pass on thru the minky to absorb into the terrycloth?

• imagemargaretkaye1:
    imageunaveragejane:
    I would definitely try the button hole function to make a thumb hole. Some machines will even do button holes with rounded edges or teardrop shapes rather than just a straight line. The only tricky part might be making sure you don't accidentally sew both sides together.My only craft lately has been the eye pillows I made as Christmas presents. I never did get to make our stockings, so I think I'm going to try to do that this week before I put all of our decorations away.nbsp;I also really want to make a mat for DS naked time. His yeast infection is still raging! I think I will call it a "bare skin" rug. I figure I can use PUL for the bottom layer, then terrycloth for absorption as the middle layer. I just can't figure out whether to top it with flannel to help absorb or minky to make it staydry on top. Will pee pass on thru the minky to absorb into the terrycloth?
    It might not if he's a sprayer. I had thought about just laying a piece of PUL down. Or blizzard fleece. You don't really need it to absorb since once he pees you'll probably want to get him off it. Plain PUL you could just wipe off tho.

Ohhh when I made a play pad like this for a friend, I made a layer of PUL on the bottom, and then a layer of flannel for the top because it was cute and matched, but you could do terry too. I made the "pee pad" seperate though because the first one I made that had a few layers took a while to dry in the dryer, and took FOREVER to dry on the rack. I figured she could just lay down the mat and put the pad on top, then baby.

imageimageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"