Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Backup to breastfeeding... formula advice

I'm still cooking my baby... Still in my second tri :) I have been doing tons of research for when the baby is born.  I'm stumped on formulas though.  I plan on BF'ing for at least the first 6 months, but in case for some reason I can't, or if I need to supplement with formula, how do I go about researching which formula is best for my kid?  Is there any kind of formula out there that is similar to breastmilk?  Any brands in particular that I should avoid?  I believe that breast is best, but I also want to have a very good backup handy in case we need it.  Thanks in advance for your advice!  Happy New Year!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Backup to breastfeeding... formula advice

• Thanks.  I thought it would be smart to do my research and stock up on one brand, but it's probably smarter to wait and see what the baby likes before I go nuts!
  • imageKemare20:
    DONT stock up!!! I did that and it went terrible. I had my LO on Enfamil and it didn't work out. I switched him to Parents Choice by Wal-mart... he is doing waaay better but I had to sell all my cans of formula for way less than I bought them for,

Good to know!  I don't want to go through what you did!  That stinks!

• Loading the player...
  • Also, if you go to the formula company's websites, you can sign up for coupons and samples. I have three containers of Similac and also some Enfamil. I haven't used them yet, but it's nice to know I have them just in case, plus they were free!
  • I have read that Enfamil Lipil is supposed to be the most like breast milk. However, you may find that if you do have to supplement/feed formula, that your baby is better on one brand rather then the other. A good example, I had to Formula Feed, and when I did I started on Enfamil Infant Premium, my LO didn't tolerate it well, and I switched to Simply Right (Sam's club's brand) Gentle. She loves this. However we were in the hospital over the weekend, and all they had was Enfamil Gentlease, and she didn't like it AT ALL, and gave her horrible stomach issues. 

My SIL's little one hates Similac, and will only eat Gerber.

So really, there isn't a ton to research, you can start with one type, I really do recommend a store brand, they are soooo much cheaper and the same thing, and if that doesn't work, keep trying until you find one that does.

• I agree sign up for the coupons and samples also ask your hospital for samples if they have any try those first you don't want to stock up and have your baby not like what you bought.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Read through this. I found the chart interesting. 

https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/pubs/

melamine_survey-enquete_hra-ers-eng.php  

All one line...

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imageAmyG*:

studies show that formula in your home decreases your chances of successfully breastfeeding, because in the middle of the night you are tired and baby may be cranky for some reason, new moms and dads may reach for formula that is right there easy to get to. 

without the formula readily available, you'll have a bit of a cry and then calm down and proceed to figure out what is going on with the help of google latching videos and hopefully an LC on the phone. 

This. While it absolutely makes sense to research formula ahead of time if that will make you feel more prepared, I'd avoid having any readily available if you're serious about EBF at first. 

• imageObLaDi:
    imageAmyG*:

studies show that formula in your home decreases your chances of successfully breastfeeding, because in the middle of the night you are tired and baby may be cranky for some reason, new moms and dads may reach for formula that is right there easy to get to. 

without the formula readily available, you'll have a bit of a cry and then calm down and proceed to figure out what is going on with the help of google latching videos and hopefully an LC on the phone. 

This. While it absolutely makes sense to research formula ahead of time if that will make you feel more prepared, I'd avoid having any readily available if you're serious about EBF at first. 

Yep. BF is hard, especially at first. There are days when I feel like DS is attached to me all.day.long. I know he is getting enough - plenty of wet/dirty diapers, but babies need to suckle (both for their comfort & to build your supply). I've approached it that formula isn't an option for us - we have none in the house. I gave away any samples I received because I didn't want any temptation. At 2am when he's crying, it's a lot easier to latch him on & let him nurse/comfort suck than it would be to load up in the car & go buy a can of formula.  

• Sign up on Enfamil, Similac, and Gerber websites and they will send you samples and coupons. Plus your OB and the hospital will likely give you samples too. That way you will have some different ones to try. Don't stock up because a) what if that one doesn't work out for you and 2) if you end up BFing awhile they may expire. They are all pretty comparable so unless your LO has reflux or something like that any of them will probably be fine. I've heard Gerber is the closest to breastmilk. I stopped BFing DS around 6 months and we used Enfamil which we liked but I think this time we are going to go with Gerber assuming she does well on it.

• I would personally keep some kind of formula in the house. The samples you'll get in the mail are fine. My milk didn't come in until 5 days postpartum and there wasn't a whole lot there. It's not fun to have a starving screaming baby who won't sleep. And I had no idea my milk hadn't come in. I never got engorged. We gave DD a bottle of formula on the evening of night 4 and she finally went to sleep. We got back on track with breastfeeding after that but she was still colicky on breastmilk and not formula. We ended up switching to formula after 2 months which broke my heart but I can't have a colicky baby who is constantly vomiting.
    TTC #1 since May 2010
    9/10 and 1/11 Normal blood work
    2/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    4/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    5/11 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    6/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    7/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    SA normal and HSG all clear
    11/11 14 HMG shots with HCG trigger = BFN
    12/11 Femara + HMG = BFP!!
  • And don't stock up. My DD is very particular about Similac Sensitive.
    TTC #1 since May 2010
    9/10 and 1/11 Normal blood work
    2/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    4/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    5/11 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    6/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    7/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    SA normal and HSG all clear
    11/11 14 HMG shots with HCG trigger = BFN
    12/11 Femara + HMG = BFP!!
  • imageAmyG*:

honestly unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't worry about keeping any formula on hand if you want to breastfeed.  studies show that formula in your home decreases your chances of successfully breastfeeding, because in the middle of the night you are tired and baby may be cranky for some reason, new moms and dads may reach for formula that is right there easy to get to. 

I know for me even when I lived miles from the city the local 24 hour gas station carried a name brand of formula and bottles so I knew baby wouldn't starve if I just couldn't figure out breastfeeding for some reason.  also you'll often get samples in the mail or from your pediatrician or hospital, which will give you enough to get by until you can figure it out. 

I would suggest if you do get samples to put them in a box in the top of the closet, in the trunk of the car or at the neighbor's house so it's a bit harder to get to them when you are feeling all those new mom conflicted feelings and worry that comes with new motherhood(regardless of what you feed baby).

This. DO NOT keep formula on hand for "just in case"; the temptation to use it and take the "easy" way out really can destroy your BF relationship, esp. In the early days when every single feed is vital to establishing your supply.  

• I was exclusively BF'ing for 2 mths and was occasionally pumping.....but was not successful with pumping so I started supplementing with Gerber soothe formula. I still BF exclusively when home but do supplement when we go to the store or when traveling in our car. 
  • imageWaitingOnTwoPinkLines:
    imageObLaDi:
    imageAmyG*:

Yep. BF is hard, especially at first. There are days when I feel like DS is attached to me all.day.long. I know he is getting enough - plenty of wet/dirty diapers, but babies need to suckle (both for their comfort & to build your supply). I've approached it that formula isn't an option for us - we have none in the house. I gave away any samples I received because I didn't want any temptation. At 2am when he's crying, it's a lot easier to latch him on & let him nurse/comfort suck than it would be to load up in the car & go buy a can of formula.  

Agreed. Don't keep formula in the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"