Working Moms

Sending something of "mine" to Daycare

Add me to the group of sad, anxious FTM's who are going back to work on January 2nd. UGH! I read through a few threads with tips, and they're all very helpful. I just wanted to ask about a specific one I think I read here a long time ago. Did any of you send something with your scent on it to daycare with your LO? It sounds silly because my daughter is not a puppy, but I'm wondering if it would help.

I read about someone who slept with her LO's blanket for a couple of nights before sending it with her to daycare. Someone else recommended sleeping with the shirt LO was going to wear the night before she wears it.

Or do you think just a familiar toy would suffice? DD has a small pink elephant she seems to love. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sending something of "mine" to Daycare

• My little guy started daycare in a center at 9 weeks (he's 10 months now).  I didn't send anything with him in that regard.  I spent many years working in the Early Childhood Education field, much of that time as a Center Director for a large child care chain.  I will say from my experience, the babies do just fine with the transition, it's usually Mom and Dad that have the toughest time!!  It's normal! 

If it will be comforting for you to have your LO have something with your scent, I say why not!  Just remember, that she will be well cared for, and will love it I'm sure!  Once you get through the first few days, you'll see how much she loves it.  My DS loves his daycare! 

• I've read that sending something with your scent helps with separation anxiety
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!

I am very confident in the daycare we've chosen, and I know it will be good for DD to get used to new people, interact with other babies, etc. The only reason I'm getting worried is that she seems to be in a "mommy"phase for the past week or so. She won't even go to family members that she's been with at least once a week for her whole life. So I'm just trying to prepare whatever I can to make the transition as smooth as possible. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I did not do this but I know my friend who had a micropremie did this when her son was in the NICU. She and her DH would sleep with blanket and bring it to the hospital. 

It couldn't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO has a 15x15inch blanket that we used when she was young. I slept with it for a week or two before she was born and kept it with her in the hospital's crib, and again at home in her own bed. It pretty much stayed in my bed sleeping with me if LO wasn't in there too. I also sent it with her to school and told her teachers that it has my scent on it and to keep it with her. I gave it about 2 weeks until her teachers had told me she's adjusted to the room before I kept it home. I feel when LO's are younger than 3 months their vision is soooo poor that they really only have scent to go by.  
  • Our DC recommended something that smelled like "home", so we sent in our own swaddles.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It wouldn't hurt to have a blankie that smells like you, or home. I promise this will be harder on you than her. I rushed straight to daycare after work those first few weeks, then realized he was perfectly fine. Three years later, I run all sorts of errands before his pick up time haha! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We sent in some tshirts at first I think but I don't really think they cared about them. Certainly can't hurt though!!!!
  • I did this.  I bought the carter's bunny snuggle buddy (ridiculous name I know), slept with it for a week, and then sent it into daycare.

I thought babies were too young to have lovies, but she sleeps so.much.better with it, we actually took it back and she sleeps with it at night.  She loves that damn thing so much, I just ordered a second one off amazon for $30 (cuz they're discontinued! bah!!) and I want a backup to send to daycare and have, just in case.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"