2nd Trimester
Options

Do they still make these?

children of the 80s! I know you had these :) I was able to walk at an early age because I was always in these things. Do they still make them??

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: Do they still make these?

• Options
    It looks like a walker. You can still buy those Ive seen them at walmart. We had one with our first kid because we had all wood floors and the stairs were behind a door. My son could get arounbd fast with it. I do have to say I dont thibnk it had anything to do with helping to walk early though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

They've deemed them unsafe now, many falls down stairs. They do make stationary standers and walkers though, we had this one for DD: https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Around-Activity-Station/dp/B002VBXY40

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMomma2Michelle:

They've deemed them unsafe now, many falls down stairs. They do make stationary standers and walkers though, we had this one for DD: https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Around-Activity-Station/dp/B002VBXY40

Which is kind of a load of crap.  For one, not everyone has stairs so they're totally safe in that regard for those people.  Secondly, once a kid can crawl or walk, they can fall down those same stairs without any help at all.  If you baby proof, you're good, IMO.  These are just one more example of parents expecting to slap a kid in a device and not watch/pay attention/baby proof and then get upset when their kid gets hurt (i.e. Bumbo)

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We didn't get one for DD because we had open stairs with just a gate and I don't trust those things. Not worth the risk in my opinion. DD walked just before she turned 10 months. I don't think she was deprived.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options

I don't think using a walker has anything to do with walking early.

DS took his first steps at 9 months and a was a full time walker by 11 months and I never had a walker. I also walked at 10 months and my parents never used a walker either.

Also, as far as anything goes: walker, jumperoo, exersaucer...your baby should never "always be in them."

But to answer your question, yes. They still make them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS looooved his.  He was a pro at it really early on and ended up walking very early (8.5 months)- not to say it was definately the walker.  The only thing I question after using it is that he was quite bow-legged.  They've straightend out, but I was concerned for a while.  It may have absolutely nothing to do with the walker but it's always made me wonder.  If DD wants to use it when the time comes, we will totally be cool with that.  We have a very small set of stairs that will be gated off.

• Options
    imagedoremi29:

DS looooved his.  He was a pro at it really early on and ended up walking very early (8.5 months)- not to say it was definately the walker.  The only thing I question after using it is that he was quite bow-legged.  They've straightend out, but I was concerned for a while.  It may have absolutely nothing to do with the walker but it's always made me wonder.  If DD wants to use it when the time comes, we will totally be cool with that.  We have a very small set of stairs that will be gated off.

"They" say the same thing about the jumperoo, that it causes kids to be bow legged. I don't buy into it though, especially if you use it in moderation.

• Options
    My SIL had one for my Nephew and he LOVED it. They kept it on the first floor of the house away from stairs and he was always supervised.
  • Options
    imageQueSyrah:
    imagedoremi29:

"They" say the same thing about the jumperoo, that it causes kids to be bow legged. I don't buy into it though, especially if you use it in moderation.

Well, I have to admit he was in it a lot.  We would have to cut him off because he would just go around and around the dining room table or over to his toy corner, grab a toy, run around with it and then go back for a new one.  My mom had one at her house where she baby sat him 5 days a week at that point, so he was in it there too.  He was completely obsessed! lol

• Options

imageKateRN08:
    You can't buy walkers in Canada.

Maybe not, but I'll take y'alls maternity leave laws any day! Geeze, I'm jealous lol 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

all personal testimonies of people that had them is that they helped with walking early, but i thought that studies showed otherwise. it is more for the developmental reasons that our pediatrician didn't recommend them.

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageelmoali:
    imageMomma2Michelle:

Which is kind of a load of crap.  For one, not everyone has stairs so they're totally safe in that regard for those people.  Secondly, once a kid can crawl or walk, they can fall down those same stairs without any help at all.  If you baby proof, you're good, IMO.  These are just one more example of parents expecting to slap a kid in a device and not watch/pay attention/baby proof and then get upset when their kid gets hurt (i.e. Bumbo)

Yeah, I totally agree. No baby gear is meant to be a baby sitter!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageprazenjc:

all personal testimonies of people that had them is that they helped with walking early, but i thought that studies showed otherwise. it is more for the developmental reasons that our pediatrician didn't recommend them.

They do not help kids learn to walk early. Total myth.  If anything, they hinder that particular skill, because babies don't develop the muscle stamina they need to pull up/walk on their own. Our pediatrician also doesn't recommend them, and that was advice given years ago when my son was an infant. The best way for children to develop those large motor skills is by permitting them to maneuver on their own. 

• Options
    Through my schooling I've learned that these walkers actually don't help babies learn to walk since it's a completely different movement pattern. Looking at the mechanics of how babies walk in the walker vs walking in reality, it's very different. Toddling babies stand flat footed with a wide stance and "teeter-totter" at the waist. In a walker they have forward trunk lean and tend to be on their toes to get the device to move.  It really doesn't translate, so I don't think there could be a legitimate argument that it helps babies walker sooner.  
  • Options
    Yes them do make them my son loves his ad is almost walking at 8 months 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, they still make them.  We had 1 that we never used with DS1.  We bought another with our twins and they LOVED them.  I don't think it really helped their walking at all, but it made them happy to be able to be mobile and vertical.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    imageelmoali:
    imageMomma2Michelle:

Exactly.  We got DD a walker at BRU. 

ETA:  We got it because she loved to "walk" super early and got bored in the stationary exersaucer.  And our backs were killing us from bending over and holding her fingers all the time.  I don't know if the walker had anything to do with it, but she walked at 8.5m.  We did not have her in it for very long at all.  Maybe a total of 10min/day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    You can still buy them. I saw one at Target and BRU a year and a half ago when I was looking for walking push walkers for DD.
  • Options
    imageRussianMommy:

children of the 80s! I know you had these :) I was able to walk at an early age because I was always in these things. Do they still make them??

They aren't legal here. Kids walk when they're ready to walk. My kids walked before nine months old and never even saw one. From what I have heard these can make kids take longer to walk. (it's been suggested by many that it can delay walking)

EDIT Google a bit, there are studies and many pages about walkers delaying walking. 

• Options
    Yup, they make 'em. But they have zero to do with when a kid will walk unassisted; neither making it happen sooner nor delaying it. Everything out there about walkers is hype and opinions, there haven't been any scientific studies. So, get it if you feel like it, don't if you don't.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageskio:
    Yup, they make 'em. But they have zero to do with when a kid will walk unassisted; neither making it happen sooner nor delaying it. Everything out there about walkers is hype and opinions, there haven't been any scientific studies. So, get it if you feel like it, don't if you don't.

It's a bit more than just opinion. Google it. 

EDIT It's not proven medical fact that it causes delays. It is true that it doesn't help them learn. 

• Options
    i dont believe for a second they delay walking (as long as the child is not actually in the walker 24/7). I had it, and i was fine. Not interested in doing research about them either. Just wondering if they still  made them and where to get one.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

imageRussianMommy:
    i dont believe for a second they delay walking (as long as the child is not actually in the walker 24/7). I had it, and i was fine. Not interested in doing research about them either. Just wondering if they still  made them and where to get one.

To answer your question, yep they still make them. I bought one for DS. I'm pretty sure you can get one almost anywhere they have baby stuff: BRU, Target, Walmart. I think I got DS's at Walmart.

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • Options
    imageAFBTB:

imageRussianMommy:

To answer your question, yep they still make them. I bought one for DS. I'm pretty sure you can get one almost anywhere they have baby stuff: BRU, Target, Walmart. I think I got DS's at Walmart.

someone above said they dont sell them in canada, which is where I am. I checked walmart canada site and they did not have any.  o well. no biggie.

• Options

imageRussianMommy:

You're not interested in doing research about something you want to put your child in?  Just because 30 years ago you were in one as an infant?  Wow.

• Options
    imagemabenner1:

imageRussianMommy:

You're not interested in doing research about something you want to put your child in?  Just because 30 years ago you were in one as an infant?  Wow.

correct 

• Options
    imagemabenner1:

imageRussianMommy:

This. Holy smokes.... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"