January 2013 Moms

Strep B test....omg

I had my 36 week appt. today that included my strep B test. Omg that was so uncomfortable as heak. I read around about how it was nothing and most woman could barley feel it. Well, it was the most uncomfortable thing I've done during my pregnancy. 

Ive also got to see  if I was dilated or not, and that was so painful. I didn't realize both of these would hurt so much. It makes me so scared of the pain I'm going to go through to go into labor.

Ok vent over.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Strep B test....omg

• I didn't feel anything but the speculum inside of me. I wonder why yours was so painful?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is surprising.  I am one of those people that finds cervix checks to be incredibly painful yet I barely felt the GBS test being done. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Loading the player...
  • I guess I got lucky and had a gentle doctor or have tough lady parts ; )  I barely felt my strep b test and was pleasantly surprised with the fact that my first check wasn't comfortable, but wasn't painful either...

Sorry your experience sucked and hope the next check goes more smoothly for you!!! 

• imageSittinUnderAPalmTree:
    I didn't feel anything but the speculum inside of me. I wonder why yours was so painful?

im not sure why it was so painful. She didn't use a speculum, just the big q tip thingy. Before I got pregnant, and on birth control I had extream painful sex with my husband for 3 years. Once I stopped taking birth control we had great sex. Then I got pregnant, extream pain again and my husband finally said to stop having intercourse, so I haven't had anything inside of my vagina for 9 months. I wonder if its I'm not used to the feeling or what, but it hurt so bad that I grabed the doctors hand so tight when she had her hand on top of my tummy and doing the test and then checking my cervix. She said she wanted to see if I'm dilated again on the 9th, and gosh, I just don't know if I can handle that.  

• imagemroy82:

imageSittinUnderAPalmTree:
    I didn't feel anything but the speculum inside of me. I wonder why yours was so painful?

im not sure why it was so painful. She didn't use a speculum, just the big q tip thingy. Before I got pregnant, and on birth control I had extream painful sex with my husband for 3 years. Once I stopped taking birth control we had great sex. Then I got pregnant, extream pain again and my husband finally said to stop having intercourse, so I haven't had anything inside of my vagina for 9 months. I wonder if its I'm not used to the feeling or what, but it hurt so bad that I grabed the doctors hand so tight when she had her hand on top of my tummy and doing the test and then checking my cervix. She said she wanted to see if I'm dilated again on the 9th, and gosh, I just don't know if I can handle that.  

Have you spoken to your Dr. about experiencing pain during sex?  I have the same problem and plan on looking into it after I heal from child birth.  Because I find the cervical checks to be painful and I don't think they are a great indicator of labor, I was checked at 36 weeks and then won't be checked again until 39 weeks.  The only reason I agreed to a check at 39 weeks is because my OB recommends I have it done again at that point. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• imageAllycat11:
    imagemroy82:

Have you spoken to your Dr. about experiencing pain during sex?  I have the same problem and plan on looking into it after I heal from child birth.  Because I find the cervical checks to be painful and I don't think they are a great indicator of labor, I was checked at 36 weeks and then won't be checked again until 39 weeks.  The only reason I agreed to a check at 39 weeks is because my OB recommends I have it done again at that point. 

at my first appt. with my doctor I mentioned pain during sex, but it was more of my history and telling her about how I had pain during sex but once I went off bc it was all fine. She didn't think there was anything to be concerned by. I think I will talk to her again after the baby is born, because I just know its not going to be an easy adjustment. Every new mom I have talked to all say that it's normal , but I definitely feel like its a deeper issue than just dryness like everyone excuses it as. I'm not going back on birth control after baby either, so I can just see how my body reacts naturally instead of added hormones.

• I feel ya.. I was in L&D last night (we thought my water had broken), and they did a full internal exam, cervix check, and a GBS test. The cervix check was last and i seriously cried it hurt so bad. I have been contracting for a week, and had been having strong contractions for 9 hours straight, none of them had even made me whimper. But what that doctor did made me scream. Ugh.. No more internals for me until 40 weeks. 

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• I don't think pain that intense for a GbS test is normal. It was a little irritating for me I think because we had had sex recently and i was still swollen. I also had a cervical check today and by no means was it comfortable but it's nothing compared to labor will be. Definitely talk to your doctor about the pain during sex because that shouldn't interfere with your sex life.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • I also found it EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I felt stupid for thinking it hurt so bad because it didn't seem like a big deal.
    Anniversary

• imageAllycat11:
    That is surprising.  I am one of those people that finds cervix checks to be incredibly painful yet I barely felt the GBS test being done. 

I'm the same. The GBS test was no big deal but that cervix check was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My doctor actually let me do my own GBS swab he just told me what to do and he doesn't do internal checks until 40 weeks which I won't get to since I'm having a csection at 39 weeks. Why would the swab hurt since it barely goes inside you?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageSmiley-1980:
    My doctor actually let me do my own GBS swab he just told me what to do and he doesn't do internal checks until 40 weeks which I won't get to since I'm having a csection at 39 weeks. Why would the swab hurt since it barely goes inside you?

This was my same experience... I was told that I could do it before leaving my urine sample or my CNM could do it during my appt.  I chose to just do it myself since it seemed easy enough when explained to me and it didn't hurt at all, just awkward trying to reach around my huge belly.

I ended up having my cervix checked anyway... lots of pressure, uncomfortable, but not painful - probably because my CNM has long thin fingers/slender hands?  It probably would've hurt if it was a dude with big manly hands, I guess... 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemroy82:
    imageAllycat11:
    imagemroy82:

at my first appt. with my doctor I mentioned pain during sex, but it was more of my history and telling her about how I had pain during sex but once I went off bc it was all fine. She didn't think there was anything to be concerned by. I think I will talk to her again after the baby is born, because I just know its not going to be an easy adjustment. Every new mom I have talked to all say that it's normal , but I definitely feel like its a deeper issue than just dryness like everyone excuses it as. I'm not going back on birth control after baby either, so I can just see how my body reacts naturally instead of added hormones.

With the limited information you have put here it sounds like you may be dealing with Interstitial Cystitis and Vulvodynia.  These are both issues I have dealt with in the past. IC causes painful intercourse, and it is deep inside the vagina, feeling almost muscular. It can be a sharp pain, as though you are being stabbed from within. Vulvodynia is an extremely sensitive vulva and that would account for the Strep test being painful to you. Bring these up with your Dr. as there are things that can be done for you. Best of luck. 

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My MD has patients do their own strep test as well. I thought it was uncomfortable as well. Mostly because I am so dry down there now. I think that I am the only pregnant person in the world with zero discharge! I also HATE internal exams. I had my first of this pregnancy last week at 39 weeks, and it wasn't so bad. However, the many, many internals that I had during my long labor last time were AWFUL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That stinks OP! You might mention to your doctor that it really hurt because it might be a sign of a yeast infection or something else going on.

Personally, I barely felt the strep b test besides just a little hard piece of plastic touch me and my first cervical check while not comfortable, wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"