Cloth Diapering

Intro and 1st of a lot of Qn's

Hey Ladies

I am PG with #1 and have always been around CD babies as I grew up in Australia and it was the norm there for so many years (now not so much). I have read the FAQs here and think I am getting the hang of what is needed but still have so many questions for the experts:

1. Anyone with good reviews of GroViva's and the AIO or AI2 systems?

2. If you were a newbie to all of this again, for your first stash, what would you have in it (type and count)

3. Any tricks and traps for new players?

Thanks in advance!

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

Re: Intro and 1st of a lot of Qn's

• 1. I loved GroVia's aplix and patterns, but they didn't work for me because they took forever to dry in the dryer, literally twice as long as everything else.  I don't have the option of drying them outside, so I had to destash.  They were really nice, though.  I never had to deal with a leak when my DS was in them.  Now, I prefer to just put a charcoal bamboo or bamboo blend insert in a Flip covers and I have less laundry than when I was using pocket diapers.

2. I really liked my Softbums when my baby was first born.  They still fit him six months later, so I use them from time to time when I'm out of Flip covers. If I have another baby, I'm going to try NB prefolds and covers or maybe some WAHM diapers.  How many?  As many as I can afford, knowing me.

3. Know that your wash routine may take some tweaking, so be patient if you have issues at first.  Also, what works for one mom or one baby not work for you and yours.  The good thing about CDs is that they retain so much of their value, so you can always destash and get new ones.  I have rotated my stash a couple of times now and will continue to do so. 

Interested in Cloth Diapering? Overwhelmed by all the information out there? Contact me for a free consultation in person or online! Official DiaperParties.com Consultant image
  • 1. Anyone with good reviews of GroViva's and the AIO or AI2 systems?

I love my GroVia AIOs, and hybrids [shell with snap in inserts]. Great quality. I think my hybrids are softer all around and dry a LOT faster than their AIOs.

2. If you were a newbie to all of this again, for your first stash, what would you have in it type and count

My first stash would be prefolds and GMD newborn fitteds. I loved how easy they are I use. Natural fibers seem to have less issues and are so easy to care for.

3. Any tricks and traps for new players? It's easier than it seems. I don't understand why more people don't CD. I can't think of any tricks for ya though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. Anyone with good reviews of GroViva's and the AIO or AI2 systems? I haven't tried Grovia, so I can't help you there.  I do love AI2s in general though.  I've tried both AppleCheeks as and AI2 and SoftBums and love both.  Have also heard really good things about Best Bottoms.

2. If you were a newbie to all of this again, for your first stash, what would you have in it (type and count) I'd start with 24 NB green mountain diaper prefolds, 6 GMD workhorse fitteds, and 6 covers - probably Bummis Super Brites and Thirsties Duo Size 1, Then I'd get 6 NB pockets or AIOs.  Probably Kawaii Pure and Natural since they fit larger babies than the Lil' Joeys or FuzziBunz XS.  My first bigger baby stash would consist 12 small GMD prefolds and three covers (probably Sweet Pea OS and/or Thirsties Duo), 12 one-size aplix pockets/AIOs for daycare (A mix of Rumparooz, BG 4.0s, and TotsBots), 2-3 AI2 covers with inserts - AppleCheeks with bamboo or Best Bottoms with hemp, 4 good over night fitteds and two wool covers.  I haven't decided what type of ON fitteds I like yet because we are just getting to the STTN stage and haven't tried any fitteds yet.

3. Any tricks and traps for new players? As others said, don't sweat the washing routine.  Pick a safe detergent.  Use it with a simple routine.  If you start having stink issues, then come here and figure out how to fix it.  Otherwise do what's simple and works for you. 

Get a drying rack early.  We love ours. 

If you're the type of person who stains will bother get a diaper spayer early on.  I expected to rarely get stains, and that wasn't the case. It drove me crazy at first until I figured out that a sprayer worked wonders.

You can never had too many wetbags.

Baby's are constantly growing and changing shape. So you can actually go back to a smaller snap setting after baby has a growth spurt where they get taller and thin out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• 1. Anyone with good reviews of GroViva's and the AIO or AI2 systems?

I've used both the AIO and AI2 and, I'm not a fan. They are very well-made diapers, but they take absolutely forever to dry - like twice as long as my other diapers. And they aren't absorbent enough for my heavy wetter. I've kept the shells to use over trifolded PFs, though, because they are cute and very trim.

2. If you were a newbie to all of this again, for your first stash, what would you have in it (type and count)

For newborn: 12 Kawaii Pure & Natural pockets, 12 OsoCosy size 1 prefolds, 12 GMD workhorse size newborn, 12 GMD workhorse size small, 2 Proraps Classic newborn covers, 2 Thirsties Duo size 1 covers, 2 Bummis Super Brite size small covers.

I would then have 12 GMD medium prefolds, 3 Bummis Super Brite medium covers, and 2 sbish snapples fitteds to use along with the 12 P&Ns and figure out from there what I wanted to replace the P&Ns with after they were outgrown at ~20lbs.

What you think you will like may end up being the exact opposite of what you end up liking. I'm glad I tried a ton of different diapers, but am shocked that I ended up liking prefolds far more than AIOs or pockets.

Lurk on this board - it is so helpful!

• Hi there... I remember you from the IF board... congratulations!!!  I have some of the side snap grovia aios and I'm not a huge fan.  They are a little TOO trim in the crotch for me, and the side snaps are a PITA.  For a newborn stash, I would probably do 12 GMD workhorses and 12 prefolds with 4-6 thirsties duo covers and maybe 6-8 kawaii pure & naturals.  now, I haven't actually used the p&ns, but I wish I had and would get some for #3.  I somehow didn't know about them until mine were transitioning into OS.  For a OS stash, I'm loving bumgenius....freetimes, elementals, and 4.0s, all are good.  No tricks to offer, but agree with everyone else to keep your wash routine simple and try lots of different types/brands to see what you like.  Good luck and congrats again on your BFP!! :-) 

Eta: or was it GP i remember you from...? Either way congrats! :-) 

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

• 2. If you were a newbie to all of this again, for your first stash, what would you have in it (type and count)

DH said a few weeks ago that if he had to do it again, he would have bought 10 BG 4.0's, 10 Green Mountain workhorse fitteds, and 10 Pooters fitteds. I think he's forgetting her first 6 mos of life though. :) For that, I still definitely would have done prefolds and covers, plus the others for nighttime/car rides. I also like econobums prefolds, but he doesn't. For covers, I'm crazy about fleece soakers - breathable, cheap, easy to wash & dry. We use Bummi's or Thirsties covers when we're out & about.

*shrugs* I guess I'll just name some of my helpful accessories - snappi's, fleece liners, hemp doublers, clotheez doublers, wool dryer balls, indoor drying rack for covers/shells. I do like the upcycled wool longies I bought on etsy. Make sure you have a couple of large hanging wetbags or pail liners for home, and 2 or 3 small ones for taking in the diaper bag. Diaper sprayer is a must. And I use Tide powder and like it a lot. Plus I like that it's cheap and widely available.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • imageSarah226:

Hi there... I remember you from the IF board... congratulations!!!  I

Eta: or was it GP i remember you from...? Either way congrats! :-) 

Yep that is me! I was on IF for a long time, then IFV and now PAIF. I remember you well, congrats on the recent addition!!!

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"