2nd Trimester
Options

XP: Extreme Headaches...I don't know what to do.

I posted this on my BMB, but I'm posting here as well to see if I can get some answers or advice. 

I am at a loss. For the past 8 or so days, I have had horrendous, excruciating headaches nearly all day long. I had headaches with my DD, so for the first few days, that's what I attributed it to. But now, I am woken up every.single.night by them, and I am in complete agony. I go to bed with a horrible headache, and I wake up with a horrible headache. Here's what I've tried so far:

Heat (helps a tad, but not for long)

Tylenol. I reach the max dose every day and it does very little.

Vick's vapor rub on my temples and back of my neck--- nothing.

massage and no stress-- nothing.

5 different pillows (I was convinced it was my pillow--so wrong).

Ice packs-- does nothing but make me cold

What should I do? I'm calling my doctor tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas so maybe I can sleep through the night. It's just so so so painful. :(  

Norah is here! Born on July 16th, 2009 7lbs 0oz, 19in and PERFECT! My Blog--Baby Steps, Foot Steps, Leaps, Bounds, Milestones
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: XP: Extreme Headaches...I don't know what to do.

• Options
    The key is to take the tylenol while.drinking a cup of caffeinated coffee.

This most closely replicates migraine drugs, which are frequently acetaminophin, caffeine, and aspirin.

Also, a chiropractor is tremendously helpful for me.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options
    Well, this will be counter to your trying to sleep but have you tried pairing the Tylenol with something caffeinated?  Are you staying well hydrated?  Even if you think you are, drink more.  I hope the doctor is able to help.  I suffer from horrible headaches and last pregnancy and this ended up with a prescription for Fioricet.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get really bad headaches from being dehydrated. Maybe do as other pp's suggested and try upping your fluid intake. Upping my water intake almost always helps, it just takes time for it to work (which may be painful to wait out).
  • Options
    I get a terrible migraine at least once a week during this pregnancy. I tried everything as well and my OB gave me prescription strength tylenol. I take one dose and it at least takes enough of the edge off to where I am not totally debilatated. That might be something to ask about?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I definitely feel your pain! I also suffer from excruciating migraines during pregnancy. My doc has given me fioricet, some sort of nausea pill that does nothing, and daily propranolol for prevention. Nothing was working so he told me to take excedrin migraine and drink caffinated beverages. The excedrin helps MUCH more than tylenol but I'm still getting really bad migraines once a week or so. Only 16 or so more migraines to go.... *sigh*
  • Options
    imageelmoali:
    Well, this will be counter to your trying to sleep but have you tried pairing the Tylenol with something caffeinated? nbsp;Are you staying well hydrated? nbsp;Even if you think you are, drink more. nbsp;I hope the doctor is able to help. nbsp;I suffer from horrible headaches and last pregnancy and this ended up with a prescription for Fioricet.
    All of this. Hopefully your doc will give you fioricet. It has helped more than the Tylenol/caffeine combo, which I will say is definitely more effective than straight Tylenol if you have nothing else.

• Options

I completely feel you...at 11 weeks I started getting migraines. I've never been one to get headaches so this symptom took me completely by surprise.

As others have said the caffeine seems to take the edge off. Ice packs did help me, but only if I was lying in bed in the dark which I wasn't able to do all day!

My GP is really cool and always offers natural alternatives: she suggested peppermint oil as aromatherapy to relieve the pain. I found on some days it works others not-so-much, depends on the intensity, but its worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet. Altoid mints (the original, super strong ones) seemed to help too, but again not all the time.

After a two-week-long migraine, at week 13 it went away. I'm now week 14 and its baaaaa-aaaaack. Ugh. I feel bad for my husband because its making me super cranky! 

• Options

imagenykkolhooks:
    I've dealt with migraines my whole life, so this symptom of pregnancy wasn't unexpected. After weeks of trying to bear out the pain, I gave in and called my doctor. He prescribed me Tylenol 3, it has codeine in it. If you're doing all the other things... staying hydrated, etc. I would recommend asking for Tylenol 3.

This. I have dealt with horrendous migraines and they worsen with pregnancy for me. I actually had my first complex migraine 5 days before DD was born. We were terrified that I could possibly be having a stroke. Luckily they diagnosed me in the ER. I finally went in to the doc this time because I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't function, let alone care for DD properly. I too was given the prescription Tylenol with codeine. I don't think it completely wipes out the pain but it is a HUGE improvement so I'd rather not take another more aggressive approach. I hope you find relief soon. The pain can be excruciating! 

imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"