Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Talk to me about sick newborns

So my 3yr old has been sick since the day we came home from the hospital cough/cold etc and now it has developed into a sinus infection and we have him on antibiotics. I asked the dr friday what to look for if DD starts to get it and she said if she gets a fever or congested bring her in because she is so young (11days old today). Late fri night she started to get alittle congested and was spitting up after every feeding I think from the snot gagging her. Then all day yesterday she was still congested and I was using the saline and suction to remove her snot which is a yellow/green. She still has no fever and today it looks like she has a cough too. So my question is the dr never said what to do if she got sick over the weekend. Should I just wait until tomorrow to make an appt with her pedi or should I take her to urgent care or childrens hospital before? The closest is over an hour away so I don't want to drive all the way down there to get turned away because she has no fever and she seems to be eating fine. Of course it is just breaking my heart to see her sick and her nose is so small I can't even fit the suction in it very well. I just want to make the right choice and not wait to long to get her treated if need be. What would you do?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

Re: Talk to me about sick newborns

• First off , sorry to hear your LOs aren't feeling well :(

I was told green snot is a sign of infection, and fevers are 100.4.

My LO never ran a fever but developed a rough cough a couple days after being congested so I took him to the dr and he had RSV. Also "red ears", two days later at my next dr visit his ears where both infected, still no fever. I have another dr appointment today to check up again. He's been on breathing treatments and he got a shot of antibiotics.

If the cough sounds rough like she's coughing something up, or her chest stomach area skin sucks up under or down in her ribs I would take her to the hospital right away, or with fever.  You could maybe call your dr office and see if a nurse is in or if they have an answering service?? I'm lucky my dr is open everyday, just very oddddd hours!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The urgent cares near me won't see babies under a year or 20 lbs. I agree with pp, call the after hours service and see what they recommend. GL and hope your LOs get to feeling better soon!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Poor babies, and poor mama!

If she's not running a fever and she's still eating ok, I'd wait. I'd try to call your doctor's office and speak with an advice nurse or the on-call doctor and make an appointment for tomorrow, but I personally would not go to the hospital.

I would continue to make sure she is eating well, making wet diapers, not running a fever and she is as alert as she "normally" is (I know newborns aren't very alert, but if she's lethargic, take her in!). If anything changes from there, then I'd take her to urgent care or to the ED.

Good luck! 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree that you should call your on-call pediatrician right away, describe what's going on in as much detail as possible, and see what they say.

If it makes you feel better I've been hit with the flu - this despite having gotten a flu shot (which either targeted the wrong strain, or was too weak since it was a thimerosol free version). I am absolutely beside myself in fear of LO having contracted it b/c I must have been contagious before my symptoms appeared...

• imageMrsBigTime:

Poor babies, and poor mama!

If she's not running a fever and she's still eating ok, I'd wait. I'd try to call your doctor's office and speak with an advice nurse or the on-call doctor and make an appointment for tomorrow, but I personally would not go to the hospital.

I would continue to make sure she is eating well, making wet diapers, not running a fever and she is as alert as she "normally" is (I know newborns aren't very alert, but if she's lethargic, take her in!). If anything changes from there, then I'd take her to urgent care or to the ED.

Good luck! 

This and my almost 4 week old is congested and has a little cough as well, but the rest of us had a mild cold.  He's eating, sleeping, peeing and pooping so I'm not overly concerned.  Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As long as there is no fever, they are hydrated, and no labored breathing, your LO should be ok. If you are uncertain, call the Dr on call. We went to the ER last week for fever and they ran labs on blood and urine. Ruled out bacterial infection, RSV, and Flu. They just approved Tamiflu for for babies 2 weeks and older.
  • DS has had some nasal congestion d/t a food sensitivity, & developed a cough as a result of the congestion/irritation from reflux. We went to the pedi a few days after it started just to make sure everything was OK - they said as long as he isn't running a fever or having trouble breathing (i.e. you can see the outline of their ribs when they breathe) & is eating well, to just keep his nose as clear as possible. I've been irrigating his nose with BM & the aspirator, & he's gotten significantly better in the last few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"