Cloth Diapering

Why can't you use homemade detergent?

We switched to homemade detergent because of cost and DH is allergic to most detergents. Why can't you use the homemade stuff? My recipe uses borax, oxi-clean, baking soda, washing soda, fels naptha ( if that makes a difference). Also, why don't you bleach cloth diapers? 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Why can't you use homemade detergent?

• The problems I see with your recipe is the fels naptha and borax.  I believe the fels naptha will build up and cause repelling.  The borax will eventually eat away at your PUL and elastic.

You can bleach cloth diapers, but should only do it once a month or less.  Again it's hard on the elastic and PUL, so will decrease the life of the diapers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• You can use homemade detergent, but as PP said, you don't want to use one with borax & Fels Naptha. Hopefully one of the ladies here who uses homemade detergent will chime in and share their recipe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sonofa. Are you serious?! I just made a giant batch of homemade formula with borax that I was planning on using with my diapers! Do you think it really will ruin them?! :/
  • I guess I will use the detergent I have on everything else and try to find a new recipe for the diapers. Thank you.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • The "CD safe" recipe I've seen is from theecofriendlyfamily.com  It does have borax in it.  According to my local CD store it would be fine for CDs if you plan to use them for one child.  If you want them to last for multiple children (or want to keep them in excellent shape for resale) she didn't recommend using it.

image imageimageimage

• The recipe I use has oxiclean, washing soda, and borax. My dipes have been fine. Fels naptha will cause repelling. 

Fwiw, Lulu's in the Fluff is a "cd" detergent and uses basically the same ingredients.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"