Preemies
Options

Sick baby :( RSV?

got sick last week and unfortunately passed it to my baby girl. I feel so bad! She's very congested, coughs and sneezes. She doesn't have a fever. She's not eating as well as before. Last night, she pretty much threw up and spit up all her milk from one bottle feeding. I took her to see the doctor last Thurs and they didn't give her any meds since she's so young. I've been using the bulb aspirator to suck out her snot. There's a lot of it and it's super thick & gross. The doctor recommended the Babyfrida aspirator, so I'll try that too. I also went out and bought a humidifier. Hope this all helps. She's still super congested. Anything else I could do? I want to bring her back to the doctor, but not sure they'll do much for her. I have a feeling they'll just tell me to let her ride it out. How long will that take? Any advice? Thanks!

Re: Sick baby :( RSV?

• Options
    If her symptoms are not improving, I'd take her back to the pedi. It's very easy for a cold to move into the lungs of little ones and cause brochiolitis or pneumonia. I've been through that with both of mine. Is she congested or is her chest contracting when she breathes? If so, she may need to start albuterol treatments via a nebulizer. The pedi should be able to listen to her chest and determine that. Otherwise, all you can really do is just use saline spray and an aspirator to keep her nose clear.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageCurlingRocks:
    imageBostonKisses2:

The only way for them to tell if it's RSV for sure is to get the nasal swab done.  You can always call your pedi and ask them to do the swab (it's quick and painless) if you're worried.  The swab can also check for a few other viruses.

If it's a regular cold, you'll have to ride it out.  I don't think there's a way to say how long it'll take because, IME, it's based on the LO and the virus making them sick (some babies get over stuff quickly, some take longer).  If your LO isn't already sleeping on an incline, you can elevate her to help her breathe easier and sleep better at night.

I'm sorry she's sick and hope she feels better soon! 

YesAlso, our pedi told us that RSV always has a fever.

I have to disagree with your pedi, my sister had rsv as an infant and she didn't have a fever until it became so severe she had to be hospitalized. I would personally request the swab for rsv, at the very least it will give you some peace of mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagerslhmg:
    imageCurlingRocks:
    imageBostonKisses2:

The only way for them to tell if it's RSV for sure is to get the nasal swab done.  You can always call your pedi and ask them to do the swab (it's quick and painless) if you're worried.  The swab can also check for a few other viruses.

If it's a regular cold, you'll have to ride it out.  I don't think there's a way to say how long it'll take because, IME, it's based on the LO and the virus making them sick (some babies get over stuff quickly, some take longer).  If your LO isn't already sleeping on an incline, you can elevate her to help her breathe easier and sleep better at night.

I'm sorry she's sick and hope she feels better soon! 

YesAlso, our pedi told us that RSV always has a fever.
    I have to disagree with your pedi, my sister had rsv as an infant and she didn't have a fever until it became so severe she had to be hospitalized. I would personally request the swab for rsv, at the very least it will give you some peace of mind.

I agree, our LO was hospitalized with RSV last month with RSV and only had a mild fever in the ER...no fever at home or during the hospital stay. She had SEVERE congestion and was choking on feedings, to the point she stopped breathing. It was really scary. It ended up turning into pneumonia after she aspirated on a feeding.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"