Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anyone use Mylicon?

My 1 month old will sometimes arch his back and seems to have painful gas in his belly during or after a feeding.  He sometimes will cry pretty hard for a little while until he either falls asleep or gives out a good big burp along with spit up. 

He does spit up fairly regularly but is gaining weight just fine and other than the gassy moments seems to be fine.  Would you talk to the dr about it or try some drops? Is that what gripe water is? Thoughts?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
'Til He returns, or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I stand.

Re: Anyone use Mylicon?

• From my understanding, Gripe water is the more natural remedy while Mylicon is more of a medicine and contains chemicals. If your LO is arching during a feeding, it's worth mentioning to your dr b/c that can be a sign of reflux. And FWIW my pedi recommended we do the Gripe water. We just put it in DS's bottle.
    imageimage
  • I guess I should mention that he is EBF
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • Loading the player...
  • I use both- just not at the same time.

I feel like they both seem to help a little. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can give them mylicon or gripe water after you are done bfing. Mine had a dropper with the amount and after I burped them I would give it to them. (each kid had colic and reflux). 

Gripe water didn't help my kids but mylicon did. Some parents swear only gripe water works....depends on the baby. It tastes sweet so they have no problem taking it!

Arching back is a sign of reflux. Pulling their knees to their stomach typically is gas. You may want to talk to your ped.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Gripe water never helped DS but mylicon def did and I used it often!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• It sounds more like reflux than gas. I'd recommend talking to your pedi about trying Zantac or the like. 

ETA: I just saw you said he's EBF. It could also be a food sensitivity causing reflux (we are dealing with it with DS now).  

• We use both & DS responds well to both. But I will say that I tried two types of gripe water (kolic & woodwards- not sure if they are sold in the US) & the Woodwards worked better so maybe try different types if one is not effective. As for the Mylicon I use the Pediacare gas drops (ofcourse all of this was ok'd by the Pedi & the pharmacist told my mom the Pediacare & Mylicon are the same thing) . I tend to use the Pediacare more as the dose is smaller & can be given more quickly to a crying baby. But I agree that it is worth a mention to rule out reflux. GL! 
    God and I define my success. It is not what is commonly imagined. A.W. Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"