Military Families

Anyone been to a retirement?

MIL is retiring this week--she is a pretty high rank, its a big deal.  I think there is a dinner & a ceremony the next day.   I think we need two nice outfits but how nice?  I would ask her but she hates me & is probably looking forward to me effing this up ; ). 

For the boys, I have:

polo & kahki's

a nice sweater & button up shirt

button up & tie

or tux from a wedding (but I don't think we need that)

For DD:

2 nice dresses (one Xmas but doesn't necessarily scream Xmas- its nice than normal church dress)

a nice skirt & shirt set 

Me:

slacks (black and/or grey), nice top

little black dress (nah, right?)

nice sweater dress, leggings & boots

IDK!?!?!?!?!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone been to a retirement?

• You definitely don't need the tux. Its hard to guess without knowing what the attire is. I've been to retirements where I wear ACUs(informal) and ASUs(formal).  For the boys I'd go with button up and tie, they can always lose the tie if its less formal. DD a nice dress and for you, slacks and a top.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Think business casual/cocktail attire.  Shirts and ties with jacket for men, dresses and skirts for women.  Do not wear anything overly sexy or revealing.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did get a formal invite for the dinner & ceremony.  I gotta find it.  I turned in the RSVP.

Since the dinner is at night & had fancy entires, is it safe to say it will be a little more formal?!?

We are traveling 9 hours for this event, I don't want to overpack but I might just need to bring a few options...gah!  I hate this kind of stuff.  

Eta: the ceremony is in the AM.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCarnation77:
    Think business casual/cocktail attire.  Shirts and ties with jacket for men, dresses and skirts for women.  Do not wear anything overly sexy or revealing.

This.  THINK CONSERVATIVE.  For pete's sake, do not wear knee boots.  Not with leggings (which I hope you won't be wearing anyway) and not with a dress.   

TTC since Aug 2011, RE since May 2012. Dx: PCOS,endo, postprandial hypoglycemia DH: SA 1 - low everything, 2- low everything, 3 - good, but WBC, 4 - lost and/or damaged at lab, 5 - low everything July - Letrozole + TI = BFN Aug - letrozole #2 + TI = BFN Sep - NEW RE!! YAY!!!! Move to IVF w/ICSI - ER on Nov 28 - 34 eggs! 2 day report - 26 successfully fertilized! 13 of 26 frozen at 3 days. 5dt of 2 best remaining eggs! BFP on HPT 6dp5dt Beta #1 10dp5dt-471 Beta #2 13dp5dt - 1250
  • I have been to many retirements, all of varying levels of formal.  Check the invite, does it specify what uniform that service members are to wear?  You can always translate that into knowing what you should wear.  If it specifies dress uniform, then that would be more like an evening gown or cocktail dress.  If it is service uniform, then business-type attire (like a suit for men, and a dress for you or trousers and a blouse) would make sense.  If it is in utility uniforms, then casual clothes would be fine. 

It sounds like button up shirts and sweaters are more appropriate for the kids, and a nice dress for your daughter would be appropriate.  For you, I would not wear leggings or boots.  A dress, or blouse and slacks would be better.

• imageAudaciousarica:

imageCarnation77:
    Think business casual/cocktail attire.  Shirts and ties with jacket for men, dresses and skirts for women.  Do not wear anything overly sexy or revealing.

This.  THINK CONSERVATIVE.  For pete's sake, do not wear knee boots.  Not with leggings (which I hope you won't be wearing anyway) and not with a dress.   

I can't believe that is considered slut wear--boots with leggings/tights/pantyhose.  It's pretty popular around here for church, baptisms, etc. although I do think my MIL would see it in similar light, she can be a prude.

• I just went to a retirement cermony. And I am AD military. I wore ACU's however most of the civilians there were in what I might like to call business attire clothing. I saw nothing overly formal, especially not on the women. The retirees however of course were in ASU's which is pretty standard.
    imageimageimageimage

• I don't think boots with leggings/tights/pantyhose are slutwear (although I'm not the PP, so don't know what she was thinking), I just don't think it's appropriate for a retirement ceremony.  Think nicer church type clothes, shirts and ties for the boys and a nicer dress for DD.  Personally, I'd be most comfortable in a dress that went beyond my knees but not long enough to be considered tea length.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The reality is that most people on active duty ARE prudes.  So anything your grandmother would think is questionable is out.

I'm not saying this to be rude - I'm on active duty too.  It's just that we have to dress so conservatively ourselves for official functions that it kind of bleeds over into how we perceive how others dress at these events.

Every high-ranking promotion and retirement I have ever attended has included an inappropriately-dressed female relative.  It's embarrassing for the person being honored and makes everyone else in the room uncomfortable.  While knee-length boots are not outrageous, I really don't think they'd be considered appropriate in this setting.  Get some cheap low heels at payless and be done with it.

• imageCarnation77:

This.  I have photographed Many retirements and the dress for civilians has always been Business Casual.  I've never seen anyone show up in Jeans or a Tux.  Military people involved in the Ceremony are in Full Dress Uniform w/medals and ribbons.  Military people not involved are usually in some type of working uniform depending what branch you're in.

Of course this varies from command to command....some commands may require everyone to wear full dress.  Just depends.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"