February 2013 Moms

Ugh...so not needed

I had my 34 week appt. today. I know I'm getting heavier and I'll go over 200 lbs. this pregnancy, but I'm bound and determined to work on it, especially after baby.

So I get on the scale and then get my bp checked. As the nurse is walking back from recording my weight, she goes, "You're Jess right?" with this confused look on her face. "Yes." I reply....Then she says, "You've gained 11 pounds since last time!"

Gee...thanks.

As I was waiting (almost 40 minutes for this doctor by the way!!), I recorded the weight in my binder and see that I really gained 8, not 11. Did she have to make it a big deal when preggo women in their 3rd trimester are already gaining at different rates and for different reasons?!!

My DH picks me up and I tell him what she said and all he can say is, "It's true. You need to eat healthier."

So now all I want to do is eat carrots and bawl!

Re: Ugh...so not needed

• I gained 8 over two weeks and they weighed me last Friday... My dr.s words were "we'll, you obviously had a good Christmas!" Followed by... "It's Christmas time, we know this is the time that you would indulge." 

So as bad as the 8lbs are (and I hate to say I am tipping the scale near the 200 mark :S), just make a good effort to eat better and count the past calories as Christmas calories. Most drs should understand that. They just want to make sure you don't keep the Christmas diet long after it has passed.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • P.S. you must be my long lost Twin... My name is Jessica... 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Smile It definitely feels great to hear someone else say that! It doesn't help being sleep-deprived and hormonal either, lol.

I'm going to start tracking what I eat so that I can keep tabs on my calories and nutritional intake.

• We all have weeks with more weight gain! Make an effort to do better this week, but carrots are not enough to feed your baby and crying is no good for your soul!  You are building a kid in there!! We are supposed to gain weight!  Give yourself some credit for all the work you are doing, go for a walk and then after sit on the couch and spend some time with your growing LO. YOUR WONDERFUL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Don't worry!!  I gained 10 lbs between appointments once... Thanksgiving happened during that time and I ate a lot.  I'm just concentrating on how I'll work off the weight post-baby and keeping tabs on what/how much I'm eating now.  Not counting calories or anything, but not stuffing myself with really unhealthy things.  
  • I had my 32 week appointment today. I've been measuring "big" the whole time but I went from being 2 weeks ahead to 4 weeks ahead(in 2 weeks) and I only gained 1lb. It doesn't really make sense to me. My DR. informed me that it's probably just the "extra" that I have around my tummy and to eat healthy. I started my pre-pregnancy weight was 187 then I lost 10 due to morning sickness, now I'm 191. 

• Oh, boo! I'm kicking myself for my weight gain, too, but my nurse last time was nice enough to say "It's so mean to weigh a pregnant woman after Christmas, isn't it?"

I've already gained my total weight with DD and THAT was more than I was supposed to.... Sigh....

• I'm no doctor, but I feel like when your pregnant your body kind of takes over and decides how much weight you're going to gain. I haven't gained that much at all in my 3rd and it's NOT because I'm being an angel. Just make sure you're eating some good stuff along with whatever else you have, right?

You're PREGNANT! And as PP said, carrots and crying won't cut it! How about carrots, some protein, a little cake, and high fiving yourself for doing an awesome job?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd bet at least some of that is swelling, honestly. If your appointments are every two weeks, then to gain 11 pounds of body fat you'd have to eat a 2,000+ calories each and every single day, plus whatever you normally eat to maintain your weight.

2,000 calories is a LOT of extra eating: it's an entire box of oreos every day, or more than two Big Mac meals with fries and soft drinks every day. And that's in addition to what you normally eat.

If you have really eaten that much more, then yes, for your own health you probably need to eat better. If not, don't let them get you down.

I agree that monitoring your caloric and nutritional intake is generally a good idea. That way, you can either know what to work on or reassure yourself that all this weight gain is really in the service of feeding a baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sooooooo what I needed! I'm glad I have a place to go to get super wonderful support! Thanks for making me feel normal ladies :)

I've been tracking my cals and have 2000 as a limit after doing some research online.

While I did bawl a bit, I ate more than a carrot :)

Thanks again for your super-support!

• Every time I go to the Dr, I weigh myself before hand. I swear it's a song when I get on their scales.." these don't work right" is what I have to tell the nurses. It's AWAYS 5-6 lbs more than when I'm at home. But my Dr office is 3 cities away and the elevation is dramatic, so I have to tell the nurse we're going to be marking down my home weight not the elevated one. LOL!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was put on a 1,800 to 2,000 calorie diet. I stuck with it for a month and never went over 2,000. I got weighed in and gained 5 pounds. I then said forget it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"