May 2013 Moms
Options

Progesterone Suppositories Anyone?

This isn't new for me...  I needed progesterone supplementation last pregnancy also.  However, THIS pregnancy, I have to use suppositories instead of getting shots in the a$$. 

Crazy as it sounds, I'll take a once a week shot over daily suppositories.

Anyway, I have noticed a light pink discharge.  I can only assume this is due to cervical irritation.  Has anyone else had this?

BTW...  the reason I have to do this is that I have a short cervix.  Progesterone supposedly helps prevent further shortening.  In the short time (one year) since my last pregnancy, "they" have decided that suppositories are more effective for this than the shots. Even though I carried to term (39.5 weeks) last time.

Here's to the next 15-18 weeks of icky panties.  :(

Re: Progesterone Suppositories Anyone?

• Options
    Interesting you say that they have determined the suppositories are more effective.  I am struggling right now because I don't want to take the Makena shots and might bring that up as an alternative.  I did get a cerclage which makes me feel better and my MFM said off the record that he thinks I am safe to decline the Makena shots.  I haven't cleared it with my OB yet though and will do that on Friday.  I dont' even get my shots until Thursday anyway so I can do more research.  I hope you stop bleeding and I pray your cervix stays long and closed. 
  • Options

I took progesterone supplements orally. The pill its self was a peachy color. I noticed for about a week or two I had a peachy discharge.

But doctor said spotting and even cramping is completely normal. I hope it clears up soon for you :) Good lucky on the rest of your pregnancy!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took progesterone suppositories while TTC (interestingly, the month my doctor took me off the prog was the month I finally got KU). I noticed an increase in discharge, but no spotting.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options

imagecaden1206:
    Interesting you say that they have determined the suppositories are more effective.  I am struggling right now because I don't want to take the Makena shots and might bring that up as an alternative.  I did get a cerclage which makes me feel better and my MFM said off the record that he thinks I am safe to decline the Makena shots.  I haven't cleared it with my OB yet though and will do that on Friday.  I dont' even get my shots until Thursday anyway so I can do more research.  I hope you stop bleeding and I pray your cervix stays long and closed. 

Thanks.  I swear there are so many differing opinions out there, it's crazy.  I will do whatever MFM says to do...  but it's nuts that the opinion of the very same doctor changed so rapidly.  Best of luck to you and your cervix also!

• Options

I never had spotting myself, but coming from IF/PAIF, where everyone is on some sort of progesterone at one point, it seemed pretty common. Try to make sure you aren't putting the suppository right up by the cervix...that might help.  

If they keep irritating you, maybe they will switch you back to shots. GL! 

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options
    imageKiller Tomato:

I never had spotting myself, but coming from IF/PAIF, where everyone is on some sort of progesterone at one point, it seemed pretty common. Try to make sure you aren't putting the suppository right up by the cervix...that might help.  

If they keep irritating you, maybe they will switch you back to shots. GL! 

Yep...  I had to use Crinone gel for my first after my IUI.  That stuff was G-R-O-S-S!!!  It would get all stuck up in there and have to be fished out manually.  NASTY!  Come to think of it, I had some pinkish salmony colored discharge with that.  Amazing the things we forget.
  • Options
    I've done the shots once a day, crinone twice a day, and Endometrin three times a day.
    With the vaginal inserts, yes, you can get pinky discharge from cervical and vaginal irritation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"