December 2010 Moms

Timeout HELP!

We have been using timeouts for John for the past few months.  When we stayed at my parent's house this past fall, he really respected them.  We would put a chair in the front hall and he would sit in it for the full two minutes, usually crying or whining because he hated it, then he would not repeat the behavior that caused the timeout.  Now that we are home, he does not respect timeout at all.  We put him in our hallway because it is the only place away from people and he would just get down from the chair.  We started using a booster seat but he has figured out how to get the straps undone.  When we keep putting him back on the seat, he laughs and laughs.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!  It's so frustrating.  I really don't want an undisciplined child, but I'm at my wit's end.  Any tips??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Timeout HELP!

• I would say keep at it because consistency is the key
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLovesMM:
    I would say keep at it because consistency is the key

This right here. You know by know that kids are smart. They know that if you aren't doing the same thing every time then they don't think they have to be either . Hang in there!

edited for clarity 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSerendipity117:

imageLovesMM:
    I would say keep at it because consistency is the key

This right here. You know by know that kids are smart. They know that if you aren't doing the same thing every time then neither do they . Hang in there!

Thanks, ladies!  I just don't know why it's so different here at home.  He really thinks they are just a big joke!

• I agree with what the others said. You just have to keep putting him back in timeout no matter how many times gets out. It will be tiring and extremely frustrating, but you have to keep at it. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I agree- keep at it. Make sure you are giving a warning, then telling him why he's in timeout as you place him in the chair. After that, if he gets out- pick him up, place him in the chair WITHOUT talking or making eye contact. If he even THINKS he's getting your goat, he'll keep at it. You may have to keep at it for 30+ minutes the first few times, and it SUCKS. Watch a few old Supernanny episodes- she rocks.

If that fails- use a playpen if he won't climb out, or his crib if worse comes to worse. 

GOOD LUCK!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We used to use the high chair when he was a little younger but use a small, 2-foot rug ($5 one from Ikea) now.  It allows him a little room to through the temper tantrum that will probably come.  He has gotten off of it before, but knows time out starts over if he does.  Hang in there!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yeah, keep it up. maybe with more restraints. some people hold their kids down, but don't face them. we put ours in his crib but are thinking of moving to a new location because he'll be out of his crib eventually and we also don't like to associate naps/bedtime with timeouts.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"