July 2013 Moms
Options

New and Nervous!

Hey all!  I'm new to this website and a first time mom.  We are due July 31st.  My question is - we decided to go to our GP instead of my regular OB due to proximity to where we live and the ease of getting an appointment.  Our GP has done her OB training and is in process to becoming board certified.  However, she won't do a doppler until week 12.  She said as long as I am not cramping too much or bleeding then everything is fine.  I can't help but worry though.  Everyone tells me to stop worrying but it seems like an impossible task.  I just want some form of confirmation everything is okay. My symptoms have been so minimal, no morning sickness at all, just a bit of breast tenderness, fatigue, and always feeling bloated.  I made the mistake of reading about missed miscarriages and I think I've completely freaked myself out now.  Any advice?  I'll take any words of wisdom I can get.

Re: New and Nervous!

• Options
    The doppler at 12 weeks is normal for a lot of doctor's and their practices. Some will do it earlier, but prior to 12 weeks, there's a higher probability of not being able to find the heartbeat due to the location of the baby, size of the uterus etc. Yes, missed miscarriages can happen, but if you're not having any cramping or bleeding and the symptoms you described are still hanging around, I think you're a-okay. I ended up taking another pregnancy test 2 days before my first OB appt because I was nervous. That confirmation was a bit of a stress reliever. Hang in there!
  • Options
    My OB wouldn't try to hear heartbeat with the doppler until 12 weeks either. I had the same worry you did - I always make the mistake of reading too much. I think missed miscarriages are very rare so don't worry. Also congrats! I'm a first time mommy too :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesnothstine:
    My symptoms have been so minimal, no morning sickness at all, just a bit of breast tenderness, fatigue, and always feeling bloated.

umm- totally not fair (coming from someone who can barely eat without thinking of the fact that I will probably be purging whatever I eat momentarily).  Smile

Seriously though...  some women just don't have morning sickness. Count yourself as one of the lucky ones.

Try to relax.  There is really nothing you can do one way or the other.   12 weeks will be here before you know it!

When I had my miscarriage, most of my symptoms had disappeared completely for a few days (breasts went from hurting to completely normal; had lots of energy, no food aversions, etc.).  But I still just didn't feel right.   For the three days before we found out,  I knew something was just off.  Then I started spotting (just a little). The night before, I went to bed with the feeling that I had done a hundred sit-ups or had been belly dancing.  

TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Using the handheld Doppler after 12 weeks is standard. An ultrasound [very different from a doppler] before 12 weeks depends on the practice.

Until you are told otherwise [and I hope it never happens to you] you are pregnant today and love your baby.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    First, congrats! I'm seeing a regular OB and not getting my first doppler until Wednesday, which will be 13 weeks, 2 days. We've seen LO on two ultrasounds, but I'm just dying to hear that heartbeat for the first time!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have worried about the same thing since I have had very minimal symptoms just as you have.  I wondered if I was really prego until I got to see the first ultrasound.  It was so amazing.  It is hard to worry but know that the less you stress, the better it is for your baby.  It's hard to be patient but if you feel good then you are one of the lucky ones from what my Dr. told me :)
    ~SRThiebeau~ BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"