Babies: 0 - 3 Months

E.A.S.Y. method

We have been attempting to follow the EASY method as much as possible since I read another post on her two days ago.  The first day was a bit messy, but yesterday was much better.  Our schedule often is more like EAESY, but I swaddle her *after* she eats and before putting her down to nap, so she isn't falling asleep at the breast every time she eats (which she was before we started this).

I'm happy to report that we got SLEEP last night!!  She slept from 8:25-11:45pm, 12:35-3:45am, and 4:10-6:45am.  This is by far the best she has slept since she was born, as she typically wakes at least 3 times each night and is really difficult to get back to sleep.  Two of the three times I put her down, she was even partially awake and put herself to sleep!  DH woke up this morning, looked at me, and was like "amazing." haha :)

We're going to keep doing what we're doing and hope we continue to have good results... I would definitely recommend attempting this method to any mamas out there struggling with night time sleep! 

Re: E.A.S.Y. method

• What is the easy method? I read online eat activity sleep yourself. But is this what you should try to follow all day? What kind of activities do you do? My dd is 5 weeks so I don't know if she is too young. And she falls asleep after eating sometimes.
  • imageaimee413:
    What is the easy method? I read online eat activity sleep yourself. But is this what you should try to follow all day? What kind of activities do you do? My dd is 5 weeks so I don't know if she is too young. And she falls asleep after eating sometimes.

Yes, it stands for eat, activity, sleep, yourself.... and we follow it all day (until bedtime).  So every time she wakes up I feed her.  "Activity" always includes a diaper change (which wakes her up from the milk coma), and then something like tummy time, laying on her back and watching the toys above her on the playmat, or just walking around the house and talking/singing to her.  When I notice signs of sleepiness (yawns, eye or ear rubbing, etc), I swaddle her and wait until she seems to be dozing off and then put her in the swing or cradle to try to fall asleep on her own.

• Loading the player...
  • imageaimee413:
    What is the easy method? I read online eat activity sleep yourself. But is this what you should try to follow all day? What kind of activities do you do? My dd is 5 weeks so I don't know if she is too young. And she falls asleep after eating sometimes.

There's some good information on the Noob Mommy blog (google it), just FYI :) 

• The EASY method is from The Baby Whisperer books. I highly recommend them for new mommas!

A friend sugested them to me when DD1 was around 8 weeks old & it was like a light went on for me when I got them from the library. It's not a rigid method, just helpful guidelines for seeing the cues your little one is already presenting. I honestly didn't see them before I read the book! Being a new mom with no baby experience, I honestly had no idea what I was doing. We stuck with EASY & DD1 at 4 is a fantastic sleeper

Anyhow, EASY is Eat, Activity, Sleep, You.  The idea is that you have some structure to your day built around a 3 hour feeding schedule at first & then lengthing it to 4 hours as the baby gets older.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks!! So it seems the major point is not to let them fall asleep after eating? Sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't. Does this affect them in the middle of the night? I would hope that it's ESY then. lol
    Does your lo ever seem to want to eat at all after the activity?
  • imageaimee413:
    Thanks!! So it seems the major point is not to let them fall asleep after eating? Sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't. Does this affect them in the middle of the night? I would hope that it's ESY then. lol Does your lo ever seem to want to eat at all after the activity?

I think a lot of the point is just routine.  Not needing to eat to fall asleep is important to me because I don't want her to be a total disaster at daycare when she won't have someone feeding/holding her whenever she wants 100% of the time.  We do our bedtime routine around 7pm right now (the activity part of that cycle is a bath), and after that just eat/sleep cycles.  Sometimes she eats again after activity, but I swaddle her after that to lay down for a nap... so she wakes up a bit and helps herself back to sleep.

• We started yesterday (I posted on this earlier) and it went relatively well during the day, but like OP ours is more of EAESY, because getting DS to sleep right after activity time is really tough unless he's totally conked out.

Today, he is miserable when he's awake. Something must be going on. He's slept a total of 1.5 hours since he woke up at 7.

Silver lining-- last night after 5 PM was insane, as well... he was a mess and ended up eating every hour or so... BUT for the first time ever, he slept from 8:30-3:30! 7 hours! Then went back to sleep after a feed until 7 AM!

So, I am not sure what is going on with these daytimes, but ... here we go,  I just put him down at 1:25 and he's wailing again. :)  

-LJ
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The EASY method has worked really well for us, and has helped me differentiate between when LO is hungry and when he's tired. In the middle of the night, he is able to go right back to sleep after eating, so it hasn't caused problems for us. I highly recommend it!! 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"