August 2011 Moms
Options

baby-proofing a free-standing fireplace?

While house-hunting, I've come acrosss two houses with old-style pot-belly stoves. Maybe that's not the right name for them - they are like free-standing fireplaces that look like they are made of iron...I'm cold-weather dumb. Sorry.

The first time I saw one, I just moved on thinking, "I don't want to deal with that," and then I found another one this morning.

Does anyone have one? Would having a stove like that be a deal-breaker for you when choosing a house? I'm obviously concerned about DS and LO2 getting burned, but I don't know if I'm just paranoid because I've never had one or known anyone who had one. I don't even know if we would use it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby-proofing a free-standing fireplace?

• Options
    As in a wood burning stove? I would post a pic of ours but I'm not currently at home. On our hearth we line blankets. As for Lj not getting burned we pretty much have had to hammer "No, HOT" into her head. There isn't a way to baby proof the way our heater is set up. Lj doesn't mess with it though. I'm more concerned about her running and falling on the brick. Our heater sags us hundreds on our electricity bill though.

Olivia June BFP 12/26/10 EDD 09/01/11 Birthday 08/02/11

BFP 12/25/12 EDD 09/06/13 M/C, 01/02/13

BFP 01/28/13 EDD 10/08/13 STICK BABY!

Pregnancy Ticker

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Get one of those child free standing play pen and place around it.  If you have some extra money and want it to look nice make one out of stair railing.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We have 2 wood burning stoves. They are both against the wall though (not sure if the ones you saw were in the middle of the room or not). We just put a large fireplace screen around it and hammed "no, hot" into DD's head too. She stays away from it, no issues. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't be deterred from a house because of one, unless it is one of the main sources of heat and you have to use it regularly - that would just be a pain.   We have one in our basement, and we only use it occasionally.  The rest of the time, I just use the top of it as a mantle for decorations.

What is the setup on the ones you've seen?  Is it sitting directly on the floor, or is it on a raised stone or brick platform? Since we don't use ours frequently, I'm more concerned about the fact that ours is on a raised brick platform, and the edges are really rough.  We're looking at either getting some of these hearth safety cushions (click here for link) or maybe even installing a gate around the hearth, which would also address any concerns when we actually use the stove.  We will probably just use our plastic playyard gate system, but there are some really nice options for metal hearth gates if you wanted to spend a little more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Thanks for the replies - since we'd be renting, I doubt they'd remove it. I also don't know that it will really get cold enough to use it for a main source of heat. The last one I looked at was in the den, so I think it was put there more for looks. In both houses, they were directly on the floor.

The houses aren't at the top of my list, but I've been following the house-hunts of some other military families moving to the area, and they've had trouble finding something suitable, so I might have to go further down my list than I want to. I just didn't want to cross the houses off the list of possibilities for something that's not as big of a deal as it is in my head.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"