Trouble TTC

OPK and timing BD?

So, after a disappointing progesterone draw yesterday (.5), I had a smiley on the OPK this morning (first time ever!). Seriously?!

I go back Monday morning for another draw. The nurse said I haven't ovulated yet. So I'm all disappointed and then I get the smiley! Emotional roller coaster, right ladies? 

Anyway, when do u guys think would be the best time to BD? My CM is fairly egg white but not nearly as much as I expect. I have no pain. My temping got effed up bc I was sick with the flu this week. Ugh! 

Any advice? As much as possible, only 1 time??? 

*~*Always praying for our baby*~* TTC since 7/2011; 8/2011-10/2011: Prometrium + Clomid (and a horrible OBGYN)-All BFNs obviously; Diagnosed with PCOS 9/2012; Current treatment: Metformin & Clomid (+Provera, if needed to induce AF) Clomid Round #4: BFN (LP defect?) Clomid Round #5: Stay tuned...

Re: OPK and timing BD?

• We BD every other day until a +opk, once we get that we BD every day for the next 3ish days.
    Me: 30, DH: 40 
    TTC since January 2012HSG & Bloodwork: Normal, SA: NormalDx: Unexplained Infertility 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN (three cycles)
    50mg Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFP (one cycle)
    Beta #1 (12dpo) = 49  Beta #2 (14dpo)= 149

Expecting g/g twins Oct '13

• Hi! Why did they have you come in for a progesterone blood draw? If you're taking Clomid, you should be having a mid-cycle ultrasound to tell you how many follicles you have, etc. That progesterone check should be 7dpo.

At this point, could you call them and tell your RE that you got a positive OPK and see if they can bring you in for an ultrasound?

---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAurora1181:

Hi! Why did they have you come in for a progesterone blood draw? If you're taking Clomid, you should be having a mid-cycle ultrasound to tell you how many follicles you have, etc. That progesterone check should be 7dpo. 

Totally this!  And since they did the P4 draw before you ovulated and we can easily assume it was without mid cycle monitoring...Are you still seeing an OB on your fifth round of clomid?  Really need to move on to an RE since it sounds like the OB is not doing a proper job of treating you with monitoring.

If you do not have MFI issues(Which I assume since you're doing TI instead of an IUI right off the bat), have sex (yeah, I call it sex) for the next three days.   

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• imagekatib77:
    imageAurora1181:

Hi! Why did they have you come in for a progesterone blood draw? If you're taking Clomid, you should be having a mid-cycle ultrasound to tell you how many follicles you have, etc. That progesterone check should be 7dpo. 

Totally this!  And since they did the P4 draw before you ovulated and we can easily assume it was without mid cycle monitoring...Are you still seeing an OB on your fifth round of clomid?  Really need to move on to an RE since it sounds like the OB is not doing a proper job of treating you with monitoring.

If you do not have MFI issues(Which I assume since you're doing TI instead of an IUI right off the bat), have sex (yeah, I call it sex) for the next three days.   

Actually, I am seeing an RE and I have gone in for not 1 but 3 u/s this cycle. I went in for progesterone draw bc my LP last cycle was short 5-7 days, either that or my progesterone was low. They are monitoring me closely, I don't need another u/s yet bc the last one showed a 21mm follicle. So, let's not worry ladies, I've been doing my homework! Do you guys think that I should wait to get my b/w until 7dp a +OPK? I'm really worried about my progesterone bc last cycle it was a 3.8 at cd 35 and I got AF on what would be cd43. This was w/o progesterone. Thank you Metformin!

Oh, before you guys say anything else- I also have estrogen checked and I'm on Estrace bc my lining was thin.   

*~*Always praying for our baby*~* TTC since 7/2011; 8/2011-10/2011: Prometrium + Clomid (and a horrible OBGYN)-All BFNs obviously; Diagnosed with PCOS 9/2012; Current treatment: Metformin & Clomid (+Provera, if needed to induce AF) Clomid Round #4: BFN (LP defect?) Clomid Round #5: Stay tuned...
  • imageIntuitiveBlue:
    If you have no MFI issues, you can do it as much as possible for the next three days or so. GL!  I know how exciting it can be to get a + OPK when you don't get anything else positive ever!  (Is it sad that I'm excited about testing out my trigger just because I know I'll see a positive on an HPT?  Yeah, I thought so too.)

This morning I was wagging it in DHs face saying I got a smiley! LOL

DHs morph is borderline but not enough to be MFI. He's on vitamins per the REs suggestion.  

• imageIntuitiveBlue:

When was your U/S that showed the 21mm follicle?  I take it you're not doing a trigger shot?  I would ask about doing that next cycle (if there is a next cycle, so let's hope not!).

Also, have you discussed taking B6 for your progesterone levels?  I take 50mg a day, and I swear this is what finally got me to have longer than a 21 day cycle.  But run it by your RE first.

Even with effed up temps, you may still be able to see when you ovulate if you have a consistent pattern month after month.  And I think 7DPO is the standard for a progesterone draw... I've never heard of doing it earlier.  Are they putting you on progesterone after O anyway? 

Good luck! 

Cd 16 showed the 21mm follicle. I have a feeling that she didn't realize it was already cd16 and told me to come on cd21 out of habit? If so, shame on her! Or maybe she was just trying to confirm O with progesterone- which seems more logical. Sometimes, I have no idea what goes through her mind... 

The dr did say he expected me to O btw days 15-22. So, I'm hoping I'm right on schedule! 

• imagerawilli:
    imagekatib77:
    imageAurora1181:

Actually, I am seeing an RE and I have gone in for not 1 but 3 u/s this cycle. I went in for progesterone draw bc my LP last cycle was short 5-7 days, either that or my progesterone was low. They are monitoring me closely, I don't need another u/s yet bc the last one showed a 21mm follicle. So, let's not worry ladies, I've been doing my homework! Do you guys think that I should wait to get my b/w until 7dp a +OPK? I'm really worried about my progesterone bc last cycle it was a 3.8 at cd 35 and I got AF on what would be cd43. This was w/o progesterone. Thank you Metformin!

Oh, before you guys say anything else- I also have estrogen checked and I'm on Estrace bc my lining was thin.   

I've has some wine but let me get my baring... You had a 21mm follie on your last monitoring appointment and didn't do a trigger and the p4 test was 7dp what?  The day after that monitoring?  Because I had a 27mm at cd12 once so your the follie could have just kept growing and still not released yet.  Or stalled and then is finally releasing?  Don't take this the wrong way as I feel I might be coming off more hostile than intended - but why not use a trigger on your fifth medicated cycle?  

As for a 3.8 on cd35 last cycle....if you don't know exactly when you're ovulating (from use of a trigger or clear O signs like +OPK, BBT, EWCM ect) what's to say that was done on the right day?  If you have a LPD that your LP could have been 11 days that cycle in which case your p4 draw was three days after ovulation and it might have gone up higher 7dpo and then stopped off a cliff.  ((I speak from experience because my first IUI, I had a p4 at 7dpo of 25 but even on suppliments *not in blood stream so the p4 was my natural level* still started af at 12dpo)).  

If there is a next time use a trigger.  Take the guessing out of it.  Get your 7dpo P4 drawn so you know what it is on the correct day as to if you do or do not have LPD. 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• imagekatib77:
    imagerawilli:
    imagekatib77:
    imageAurora1181:

I've has some wine but let me get my baring... You had a 21mm follie on your last monitoring appointment and didn't do a trigger and the p4 test was 7dp what?  The day after that monitoring?  Because I had a 27mm at cd12 once so your the follie could have just kept growing and still not released yet.  Or stalled and then is finally releasing?  Don't take this the wrong way as I feel I might be coming off more hostile than intended - but why not use a trigger on your fifth medicated cycle?  

As for a 3.8 on cd35 last cycle....if you don't know exactly when you're ovulating (from use of a trigger or clear O signs like +OPK, BBT, EWCM ect) what's to say that was done on the right day?  If you have a LPD that your LP could have been 11 days that cycle in which case your p4 draw was three days after ovulation and it might have gone up higher 7dpo and then stopped off a cliff.  ((I speak from experience because my first IUI, I had a p4 at 7dpo of 25 but even on suppliments *not in blood stream so the p4 was my natural level* still started af at 12dpo)).  

If there is a next time use a trigger.  Take the guessing out of it.  Get your 7dpo P4 drawn so you know what it is on the correct day as to if you do or do not have LPD. 

The RE wants to try Metformin and Clomid only for 3-4 mos and I respect and agree with him. My first 3 Clomids were completely unmonitored and thus, wasted. That being said, I don't think the nurse is taking me seriously. I had to be an advocate myself for this cycle to be monitored and even still, it sounds like she's screwing up. I got a + OPK today and I go Monday for a draw and I'll speak with her about the b/w being so early. I think she's confusing something...

• Other poster may be suggesting you use a trigger shot, but there are concerns with that as well.  With a trigger you run a very very small risk of OHSS or a possibility of forcing release of an egg before it is 100% mature.  Talk to your doc about benefits and disadvantages of using an HCG trigger.

ETA: Have as much sex as possible after the positive OPT.  Hopefully you were doing it t least every 48-72 hrs prior to the positive. 

??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"