October 2011 Moms
Options

If you speak 2 languages to LO

If you are speaking two or more languages to LO, are they talking yet?

DD says a couple of words, but nothing consistent except mama and dada. However, she babbles constantly and switches back and forth between languages.

I'm not worried about her not talking. Just curious for those whose LO are, can you tell which language they are speaking and whether they know to switch between them, or do they mix them all together.
My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d

Re: If you speak 2 languages to LO

• Options
    Yes, we speak Spanish and a minuscule of Italian to her. She's not talking, talking but can say "agua" and understands us when we say things to her Spanish. We're not concerned at all especially since I've read bilingual kids take a while. This is the perfect time to reach them! Their brains are sponges.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 - 11/16/10 CP 12/1/10
    Our team green turned into team pink! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 17dpo - 47, 19dpo - 114 Chart
  • Options
    We speak Korean and English in the the house and she has only spoken English words but understands commands in both languages.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are speaking English, French and fon to dd. she babbles constantly, but really only says "papa", "this", "ow", and "that/cat". She understands commands in all three.
  • Options
    imagePackerfan79:
    Same thing for us, no real words but he comes on command when we speak Farsi and knows other commands too. Oh he also learned to quack like a duck!

She will also know the titles to my friends who is her khaleh and massi Punjab.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 - 11/16/10 CP 12/1/10
    Our team green turned into team pink! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 17dpo - 47, 19dpo - 114 Chart
  • Options
    We talk to her in English and Spanish, she understands both. She says  "Abuelita, auga, and besos"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We speak to Gator in English and German
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    No words from her whatsoever yet. I speak English to her, DH speaks Castilian Spanish, and she hears German in the street and when we go to church. So she has three languages going on around her, but she mostly hears English from me all day. I've heard it's very common for kids raised in bilingual households to be delayed in speakingcompared to children raised with one language.

ETA: she does understand when we speak to get in either language and knows when we are telling her to come here or bring us something.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Lady Madrid, long time no see!

We speak to L in English and Japanese. My husband who is Japanese speaks to her only in English, for some reason. I was speaking to her in English at home and Japanese as soon as we're out the door, but she'll be starting Japanese day care full time in January so now I'll probably just use English. She babbles nonstop but I don't know which language she's leaning toward. She can say quite a few words in both languages but doesn't know two words for the one object. She'll say dog in English and then wanwanwan which is the sound a dog makes in Japanese. Today after dinner she kept asking for her "booer" and taking us to the kitchen. We had no idea what she wanted, but then I took down her water cup and she started nodding and grinning. She used to say water in English but somehow she combined that with the Japanese baby word for car which is booboo. Her cup has cars on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"