Stay at Home Moms

Favorite winter foods?

The post below about Jan/Feb got me wondering. What are some of your favorite winter recipes?  My goal for the new year is to have a healthier selection of food in my house. For some reason we got no cookies this year so I'm already ahead :). Anyhow, I'm planning on making a lot of soups (I don't ever make soups but they seem to go far, freeze well and I think my kids will actually eat them) and I want to introduce DD1 to bread pudding (DD2 won't eat sweet food, oddball). Any good soup recipes? Anything else I need to try?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Favorite winter foods?

• For winter I love soups and stews. I love lentil stews, which would fit into your healthy selections. Also, roast chicken is something I want to cook more. Maybe try some new varieties. Like this :

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/roast-chicken-with-cranberry-apple-raisin-chutney

it includes another winter favorite, chutneys.

I also bake a lot more in the winter.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In the winter we live off of roast chicken or pork with roasted veggies. Carrots, parsnips, celery root, potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes and so on. Really easy and really good. Just chop everything up, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and rosemary if you are feeling crazy.

I don't like it but I make a lot of white bean, kale, rice and sausage soup for my husband. Brown sausage, add chopped onion, celery and garlic, saute till translucent, add chicken stock, canned white beans, chopped kale, cup of brown rice, 1 tsp dried thyme and one of rosemary, salt and pepper to taste and cook till the rice is done. You can also omit the sausage or use ham instead (which you add at the same time as the rice.) Reheats and freezes well.

Edit: I don't like it because I don't like beans, not because I think it tastes terrible. I realized saying "this sucks, you should make it!" sounded dumb. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am making White chicken chili for my make ahead meal group

1 small can green chiles
    2 cans navy beans
    1 onion, chopped
    1 t chicken bullion
    tabasco, chili powder, cumin, pepper to taste (I just put a dash in so the kids will still eat it)
    1 pint half and half
    1-2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed.

The recipe freezes really well, so all you need to do is dump it all in and warm it after you thaw it.

• Butternut squash!!!  Dice it, put a little olive oil, salt pepper and roast on 400 for about 1/2 hour or so.  It's like candy!

I like risottos and pasta e fagioli in the winter.  Those are my go-to's. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"