Cloth Diapering

Officially Joining you ladies, and some questions

I sat DH down during the boys nap today and told him that I think I would like to switch to CD's, I told him that I've been researching and found that disposables might be part of Buddy's reluctance to potty train and that I want to switch him to cloth trainers, so that way I'm not running around cleaning up pee but he will start connecting the dots between pee/poo and going.  But I also told him if we are switching Buddy I want to switch Tiny too. It would be "easier" to keep up on "diaper/trainer" laundry if I actually had full loads to do. 

I'm going to order the Kawaii diapers first, and go from there. 

I am ordering

https://www.theluvyourbaby.com/hot-items-12-os-snap-in-ultra-soft/

plus 4 more seperately

Also ordering 2 of these

https://www.theluvyourbaby.com/one-size-goodnight-heavy-wetter/

What else will I need? A couple wetbags? Toilet sprayer?  

I use Eco's laundry detergent. Is that going to work for CD's?  I have a friend that makes her own laundry soap, with borax/washing soda and fels naptha soap (her child has super sensitive skin. Would that work better?) 

I'm still looking for trainers for Buddy. Any suggestions?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Officially Joining you ladies, and some questions

• I am new to this also and don't have any advice but I couldn't help but notice your sn DS and my nephew love dinosaur train.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We aren't to trainers yet, so no advice there.

I would not use a homemade detergent with Fels Naptha on diapers. It will eventually build up on the diapers and cause repelling. Ecos would be a better choice, but many of us here use boring old Tide.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 2 wetbags, 2 pail liners (So you still have one to use when you do laundry)

Diaper safe laundry powder... don't know Ecos brand... I use Tiny Bubbles, many people use Tide.

Diaper safe rash cream (I use Earth Mama Angel Baby)

Another thing I'd suggest is using cloth wipes.  If you have baby washcloths, you can use those... I just wet them with tap water.  That way you can just throw them in with the diapers to wash and it's one less thing to worry about.

• I'm not to trainers yet but Flip trainers look pretty nice. I know someone here has used them, I think it's Nana.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetjkdlhb:

2 wetbags, 2 pail liners (So you still have one to use when you do laundry)

Diaper safe laundry powder... don't know Ecos brand... I use Tiny Bubbles, many people use Tide.

Diaper safe rash cream (I use Earth Mama Angel Baby)

Another thing I'd suggest is using cloth wipes.  If you have baby washcloths, you can use those... I just wet them with tap water.  That way you can just throw them in with the diapers to wash and it's one less thing to worry about.

Cloth wipes is a really good idea.  I could probably make my own with my fabric scraps (tons of flannel from blanket projects) 

I make my own rash cream, its lanolin, beeswax and ylang ylang scent. Would this be okay? The boys very rarely get rashes anymore though.  

• I think lanolin may coat the diapers and cause them to repel...not 100% sure though

ETA: Flannel works great!  I made some of mine using receiving blankets

• PP have given you some good advice. I'd wait on the toilet sprayer though.I only considered it for the peanut butter phase and my guess is that Tiny is just about out of that. 

I'd also suggest to buy some disposable liners to have on hand when they get really sick/bad rashes that require non CD safe creams.

Don't forget a good travel sized wetbag.

• imageMidwestGidget:

PP have given you some good advice. I'd wait on the toilet sprayer though.I only considered it for the peanut butter phase and my guess is that Tiny is just about out of that. 

I'd also suggest to buy some disposable liners to have on hand when they get really sick/bad rashes that require non CD safe creams.

Don't forget a good travel sized wetbag.

Tiny is almost out of it. Buddy on the other hand, he has whats called chronic Toddler Diarrhea and is still not totally out of it yet. We've had allergy testing done, blood work, stool cultures totally unexplainable. Its finally soliding up but its not "solid" yet. 

• I think I've read that people have a lot of problems with the homemade detergents - ie, diapers repelling, stink issues, etc. F&C Ecos could work, Pinstripes and Polkadots rates its pretty highly. Sometimes you just have to try it and see what happen. A lot of people don't take stock in the recommended detergent charts these days, as everyone has different water and different washers and it seems like the majority of people here use regular Tide. After trying lots of different speciality soaps like Rockin Green, Tiny Bubbles, Planet, etc, I found that regular (non-HE) Publix-brand free & clear works amazingly for us and is less than $3/bottle. Score!

I have a lot of Kawaii diapers and I'm a pretty big fan of them. They seem to be pretty decent quality for the price. They're much better than Alvas, IMO! I'm also a fan of BumGenius pockets and I've heard good things about their Flip trainers, though I've not used them yet.

I would definitely get a sprayer. We got one on ebay for like $17 and it's been incredibly important for us. You need a few wetbags, a pail liner or 2 and possibly cloth wipes if you want to go that route. I hated separating disposable wipes from our cloth diapers and just throwing poopy wipes away made our bathroom reek. So I got a few dozen baby washcloths and never looked back. They work sooooo much better and get washed with the dipes so it's no more work than you're already doing, plus saving money by not buying wipes all the time!

• I don't have any advice, but I love all of your names! We are pretty big dinosaur train fans too. Watching it right now actually.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"