Cloth Diapering

share your wash routine for prefolds!

My due date is fast approaching and I'm afraid I don't even know how to wash the prefold diapers that I plan on using for the newborn stage. (I have GMD newborn and size small) Please tell me what to do?

Also, do i wash the covers separately?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Re: share your wash routine for prefolds!

• Cold pre-rinse, hot wash with 2 scoops Tiny Bubbles, then cold rinse.  That's it.  I wash my covers and prefolds together.  (Prepped the prefolds separately with about 5 washes first.). Also, I only dry the prefolds in the dryer and hang up the covers to dry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I prepped the prefolds by themselves (4-5 washes & put in dryer cus it helps fluff them up between washes)

I had to experiment A LOT when I first started washing my CDs to find the right routine.  I have a top loading HE washer so I tried adding a wet towel to the load to increase water amount but I've since ditched that and use the "bulky items" wash (with hot water & extra rinse) after the preliminary rinse.  I also had to experiment with the amount of detergent.  I started small but because of our hard water, had to keep increasing so now I use up to the #1 line on the Tide scoop for about 20 diapers.

My drying routine depends on the weather & what time of day I washed the diapers.  I'll line dry everything if the weather is ok, aiming for sunny hours if I have some stains to get out.  But other times I'll throw everything in the dryer.  I split my drying time into 2 shorter cycles & remove the 2 pocket diapers, any covers & the pail liner from the dryer after the first cycle, then keep drying the prefolds, MF inserts & cloth wipes until they're all the way dry.

rainbowsSiggy picimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • After the diapers are used, we do a quick rinse under the tap and throw in a dry diaper pail. Every three days or so I put all dirty diapers and covers on a cold prewash to get out any nasties, and then do a hot cycle with zero residue detergent and a second hot rinse. All diapers then go in the tumble dryer on low heat. Has worked well for us so far for our prefolds and pockets!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"