3rd Trimester

Heartburn

Are there better options than tums? Tums did the trick when I was pregnant with DD but they're not helping this time. Literally everytime I change positions at night it jump starts heartburn. I have an appt Thursday just wondering what others are using that I can ask about. TIA

Re: Heartburn

• I surprisingly somehow don't have a HB problem (I usually had HB before pregnancy!), but Zantac is an option.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used to only take Tums until I was 36ish weeks. I was in pain ALL the time. Finally I started taking Zantc, and it is amazing! My doctor told me it was fine to take, and I haven't had any problems since.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree- Zantac.  I had to take it early on and I'll probably start back up soon since I'm going through tums like candy lately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks I will ask doc about Zantac is it prescription or OTC?
  • OTC.  I think the options are zantac 75 or 150 and I believe my OB ok'd 150.
  • My doc sent me home with a list of meds OK to take and Zantac is on there. If that still doesn't work Prevacid is a Cat. B but ask your doctor first of course. Zantac worked for me only til about week 16. But I have GERD without being pregnant so I knew it was just a matter of time before I needed a PPI vs. an H2.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm lurking here from 2nd tri. I had heartburn before pregnancy.... but now it is crazy. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar is a good natural remedy you might want to try. I keep tums in my purse for when I'm not at home but stick with the apple cider vinegar when I can. It will burn at first when swallowed but brings pretty instant relief after a second or two.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Zantac, unless you can get the RX form like I have. My doctor had to prescribe it twice a day till I'm due. Mine got so bad I was not doing well.
  • I've been taking my Zantac 150 when it gets too bad. I had HB before pregnancy and my doctor said that it was ok to use.
    Anniversary

• I second Zantac 150.  It's most effective when I take it before a meal. I take it twice a day.  
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • zantac
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• thanks guys!
  • the papaya digestive enzymes work instantly for me.  they have them at the health food store, my local grocery store and at super supplements.
  • Right now I take Zantac twice a day and tums when needed. It seems to do the trick and it's midwife/Dr approved.
  • zantac 75 - it lasts for 12 hrs
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imageSEWF:
    I used to only take Tums until I was 36ish weeks. I was in pain ALL the time. Finally I started taking Zantc, and it is amazing! My doctor told me it was fine to take, and I haven't had any problems since.

This for me except doc switched me at 35 weeks. It has been a life saver!
  • TUMS worked great for me last time but this time they barely put a dent in my heartburn!  I have less than 2 weeks to go so I'm just trying to suck it up - but I understand what you mean about the TUMS not getting the job done!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in the same boat- change positions, instant hb! I take Zantac 75 every 12 hours and Mylanta in between as needed. My OB told me to do this and so far it has been helping. GL!
    image BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take Papaya Enzymes....so much better for you than Tums and they taste yummy :) You can get them at the health food store...get the chewables.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"