3rd Trimester

Drug testing?

What is the real deal with drug testing in MA? Is my OB testing my urine at routine appts? I don't recall consenting to that...

If they are, would they tell me if a test came up positive? So I have been drug free for the most part, but I screwed up and used a couple of times. Obviously I feel awful about it, and I'm sure I'll get nasty comments. I just want to know where I stand with the OB but am afraid to ask.

And what about meconium testing at birth?

Re: Drug testing?

• Um, I'm lost... let's assume this isn't MUD.... 

You should be honest with your OB about drug use in your past and I certainly hope you haven't "screwed up" while pregnant. If you haven't then you should be fine because they're not gonna find drugs in your system from long ago...  

And why are you worried about them testing meconium? O_o 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• Is this real life?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageanonymouse22:
    What is the real deal with drug testing in MA? Is my OB testing my urine at routine appts? I don't recall consenting to that... If they are, would they tell me if a test came up positive? So I have been drug free for the most part, but I screwed up and used a couple of times. Obviously I feel awful about it, and I'm sure I'll get nasty comments. I just want to know where I stand with the OB but am afraid to ask. And what about meconium testing at birth?

Just in case this isn't MUD which I'm guessing it is by your lack of posting.....

From what I understand they are testing your urine for proteins and sugars that would indicate pre-eclampsia, infections, etc.. I don't think they are testing for drugs?

DS2 was born with meconium and they were mainly concerned with him inhaling it and infecting his lungs.

Honestly, if you are using or had some set backs and used any type of drug you should be honest with your doctor.  They have heard and seen it all and it would be in your baby's best interest for them to have a heads up in case any extra treatment is needed.

I do a lot of work with women with various issues and have seen them using even while pregnant.  If you cannot keep clean during your pregnancy then your problem is out of your control and you need to seek help immediately.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PP said, I don't think the standard is testing for drugs, but other stuff like protein and white blood cells (which, if high, could indicate infection). You could just ask your OB, "So, what are you testing my urine for at every appt?" They're used to questions like this. If she's testing for drugs, she'll tell you. I'd be shocked if she didn't, and I doubt they're being sneaky about it.

Regardless, don't do any hard drugs, especially while pregnant - but I'm sure you know that :)  I drank a lot of liquor my first few weeks (before I found out I was pregnant), so I get the feeling awful thing. 

Also, IDK what you're asking about meconium. While in labor, (I think once your water breaks), they'll be able to tell if there's meconium present or not. And they'll deal with it accordingly. I don't think it's something they "test for" after the baby is born. Pretty sure it doesn't work like that... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Actually a lot of doctors are drug testing. If your office does you sign a consent when you sign the consent to treat. They do this periodically so the staff of l&d know and are prepared for a baby that may be dependent. If at anytime you test positive they will test baby's urine and feces several times while you are in the hospital. Collection will depend on the facility.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have no idea what MUD is.
    Yes it is real life. We don't all live perfect fairy tale lives. Judge all you want. Drugs are horribly addictive, and they don't discriminate. I come from a wonderful family, graduated summa *** laude from college, and have a great job. I got involved with drugs during a very difficult time in my life divorce, and yes I briefly relapsed while pregnant. I am not continuing to use drugs, I love my unborn child, and I'm very capable of being a wonderful mother.
    I am trying to get some honest answers about what I should expect from my doctor. If you feel the need to belittle me or show your disgust, fine. But if there is anyone who can give me some solid answers, I'd really like to hear them. Thank you.
  • I agree with the PP, sounds like you are afraid to get caught. Does it matter if they "catch you"? You should be concerned if it's effecting the baby or not. Babies can get addicted in the womb, so if they are, they need to deal with it accordingly when they are born. They can go through withdrawals too. I hope for your baby's sake this isn't the case, and that it's also not born with any abnormalities and turns out to be "slower" later in life...
    Our little angels went to Heaven very early: 1/2012, 2/2012, 3/2012. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord". BFP 7/12/12- EDD March 26,2013 BabyName Ticker
  • I am a nurse and while i don't work in OB I work in an ICU and we check people for drugs all the time without their knowledge if we suspect something.  It is part of diagnostics. 

However, you sound like a smart person that has made mistakes and I agree with the PP that this sounds less like concern for your baby's health and more like you are trying to conceal your recent drug relapse.  I urge you to inform your healthcare provider about what you took and be honest about your use.  Drugs (as you know) can have effects on you and the baby and they need to know this to care for your baby properly and may even be able to set you up with information or programs for the future in case you are at risk for future relapse. 

Please, even if it is embarrasing, think of your baby and be honest. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagespainy17:

I am a nurse and while i don't work in OB I work in an ICU and we check people for drugs all the time without their knowledge if we suspect something.  It is part of diagnostics. 

However, you sound like a smart person that has made mistakes and I agree with the PP that this sounds less like concern for your baby's health and more like you are trying to conceal your recent drug relapse.  I urge you to inform your healthcare provider about what you took and be honest about your use.  Drugs (as you know) can have effects on you and the baby and they need to know this to care for your baby properly and may even be able to set you up with information or programs for the future in case you are at risk for future relapse. 

Please, even if it is embarrasing, think of your baby and be honest. 

what happens if a person tests positive? because we knew a girl who smoked weed after birth and all of us were wondering why no one was stepping in. She was pumping milk at the same time.. baby was born 7 weeks early so she was at the hospital for quite some time 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • You have to tell your OB that you are using. You don't get to think of yourself first anymore, the welfare of your helpless child is paramount now. You have to get help to get clean. As for your skills as a parent, so far they haven't been good. Good for you graduating at the top of your class. Use that intelligence to protect your child who is utterly helpless. 
  • Every doctor that delivers at the hospital I work at does a drug screen with the initial prenatal labs. The urine they test at each visit is for protein, infection, glucose, not drugs. They may do some follow up testing if you tested positive at any point.

If you have a documented history, or a positive tox screen, my hospital tests the baby's urine at birth. If it is negative, usually social work will see the mom to make sure everything is ok, they don't need referrals for help, etc. If it's positive, CPS gets involved.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejinnymb:

imageanonymouse22:
    What is the real deal with drug testing in MA? Is my OB testing my urine at routine appts? I don't recall consenting to that... If they are, would they tell me if a test came up positive? So I have been drug free for the most part, but I screwed up and used a couple of times. Obviously I feel awful about it, and I'm sure I'll get nasty comments. I just want to know where I stand with the OB but am afraid to ask. And what about meconium testing at birth?

Just in case this isn't MUD which I'm guessing it is by your lack of posting.....

From what I understand they are testing your urine for proteins and sugars that would indicate pre-eclampsia, infections, etc.. I don't think they are testing for drugs?

DS2 was born with meconium and they were mainly concerned with him inhaling it and infecting his lungs.

Honestly, if you are using or had some set backs and used any type of drug you should be honest with your doctor.  They have heard and seen it all and it would be in your baby's best interest for them to have a heads up in case any extra treatment is needed.

I do a lot of work with women with various issues and have seen them using even while pregnant.  If you cannot keep clean during your pregnancy then your problem is out of your control and you need to seek help immediately.

I agree with all the above and the first sentence for sure. 

• imageanonymouse22:
    I have no idea what MUD is. Yes it is real life. We don't all live perfect fairy tale lives. Judge all you want. Drugs are horribly addictive, and they don't discriminate. I come from a wonderful family, graduated summa *** laude from college, and have a great job. I got involved with drugs during a very difficult time in my life divorce, and yes I briefly relapsed while pregnant. I am not continuing to use drugs, I love my unborn child, and I'm very capable of being a wonderful mother. I am trying to get some honest answers about what I should expect from my doctor. If you feel the need to belittle me or show your disgust, fine. But if there is anyone who can give me some solid answers, I'd really like to hear them. Thank you.

search for the bump board glossary its located at the bottom of the left side of the screen under all the boards. MUD by the way means ..... Made Up Drama. 

• Instead of being critical of your mistakes, I am going to encourage you to seek counceling. I don't know what state you're in which will dictate rules as far as drug testing. I am also an ICU nurse, and I am in Pennsylvania we usually would send drug tests without consent for diagnostics... Remember that nurses usually have a really good intuition when something is just not right with their patient.... So if you haven't used drugs recently, even if they test your urine, they usually will not appear in your system within a couple days of using them. Unless you are an avid marijuana user this stays in your system longer than opioids... So the most important thing is to just not use them at this point and seek help either way because there are plenty of resources that are available for you i'm sure you know this but just want to remind you... Because things are going to get alot more stressful once baby is here so you will definitely be at greater risk for relapsing.

So bottom line, if you do use right before you go into labor, chances are your caregivers are going to be able to tell anyways.... However, if you haven't used in a while, drug testing is a moot point since they will be out of your system by then.

Good luck and I really hope you will seek help! There are plenty of nurses and dr's that are not judgemental and would want to keep you and baby safe... Because remember, addiction is a disease. Much like many people overeat or eat constant garbage and/or are non compliant diabetics while they are pregnant there's just not the same stigma attached.
  • This makes my blood boil like you wouldn't believe.  As someone who had a drug addict for a mother you make me sick.

You are resposible for this life.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't know what they do if the tox is positive for prenant mothers.  In the ICU if they test positive it really helps the docs know so we can watch for withdrawal and we can get validation for vital signs, labs, etc.  (like people on meth can have high BPs) No idea how they deal with prenant moms.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageGraceIsa4110:

This makes my blood boil like you wouldn't believe.  As someone who had a drug addict for a mother you make me sick.

Constructive criticism would probably be a wee bit more helpful in this situation. Maybe your hardships growing up, a story of how it was hard for you to overcome the unfortunate situation you were born into with a drug addicted mother, and how it affected your life. But I think maybe your insult is out of line regardless of how in the wrong she may be, or how you personally feel.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't know anything about whether or not the doctors do drug testing...from previous posts it sounds like sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. But I had gone to a rave in Vegas and found out later that I was 2 weeks pregnant at the time. When I found out I was pregnant I told my doctor that I had gotten drunk and took LSD and ecstasy. She didn't belittle me or make me feel bad for doing the drugs, and she said it was early enough in the pregnancy that the baby should be fine. I think the most important thing is to let your doctor know so that he/she can do any extra testing or monitoring if needed to ensure that the baby is ok. I can completely understand that hard times can happen...I've personally been through more than I can count on both hands. If you let your doctor know I'm sure they will see that you realize you made a mistake and just want to do what's best for your child.

• imageemriley84:

Every doctor that delivers at the hospital I work at does a drug screen with the initial prenatal labs. The urine they test at each visit is for protein, infection, glucose, not drugs. They may do some follow up testing if you tested positive at any point.

If you have a documented history, or a positive tox screen, my hospital tests the baby's urine at birth. If it is negative, usually social work will see the mom to make sure everything is ok, they don't need referrals for help, etc. If it's positive, CPS gets involved.

This. I have a sister who smoked pot while pregnant during her first trimester to help with nausea, was completely 100% honest with her OB, and quit once the nausea was gone. She was clean for the remainder of the 6 months of her pregnancy, but because it was in her OBs notes and on the hospital record (she was honest with everyone) they did test the baby's urine at the hospital immediately following the birth. Baby was neg, but social workers did question her for a few days to determine if there was any danger for the baby or help was needed. Had the baby been positive however, CPS would have taken the baby and it would have been a huge battle to get her baby back. Even with all this happening (and I DO NOT condone the fact she smoked while preg in the least) it was in her child's best interest to be 100% honest. Doctors need to know what is going on so they know what kind of problems/deformaties/development and growth issues they need to be on the lookout for before and after birth. Lying about it could cause them to overlook potentially life threatening issues they could be prevented or fixed before they are life threatening. Be honest with all your doctors, stay clean, and expect to have your baby drug tested and social workers asking questions. As long as your neg and your baby is neg, you will be just fine and have nothing to hide anyway.

And no, your OB typically will not drug test you in the office without consent. They test you each visit for proteins and (I think) ph to be sure you don't have any infections (infections can affect baby). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since it's not really clear what drugs you are taking (although "slipping up" makes it seems like you may have an addiction problem and may need to seek help), it's hard to offer advice.  I can say that every time they collect urine at my office they just look for protein and flush it unless they tell you they're doing something else.  In the event that someone reading this had tried smoking marijuana for nausea or something else mild, it is reasonable to be concerned that they will find out when you deliver and take your child.  I just read an article in Slate about this that I'm sure you can find if you look.  Apparently, lamely, certain populations are tested a lot more than others.  You should look into what your hospital and state does so you know what will happen.  
  • imageBrilliantBrunetteJenny:
    imageGraceIsa4110:

This makes my blood boil like you wouldn't believe.  As someone who had a drug addict for a mother you make me sick.

Constructive criticism would probably be a wee bit more helpful in this situation. Maybe your hardships growing up, a story of how it was hard for you to overcome the unfortunate situation you were born into with a drug addicted mother, and how it affected your life. But I think maybe your insult is out of line regardless of how in the wrong she may be, or how you personally feel.  

Sounds like that poster needs to work some things out in therapy.

I've been wronged by both of my parents making stupid decisions that put their wants above my needs as a child, but guess what? I've realized they are/were human beings that make mistakes.  I wish things could have been different but I forgive them.

I just don't see how it's constructive at all to belittle and insult the OP when she clearly said she felt bad about it. If it's not obvious she needs help to get clean, not being treated like crap.

My hubby works with men in residential substance abuse programs and I don't even need to ask him to see if belittling and insulting the men in his program is a good tactic or not. Support and help finding resources and other coping mechanisms is what is necessary.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • trust me your not the only addict or recovering addict that is pregnant in this world.. ive been clean with a slip up here and there for a day or two  since the march. my babies dad asks me every single day if im high and accuses me of using. i can be tired and he thinks im high . i had the flu . he thinks i went thru withdrawl.. people dont understnad how hard life is as an addict trying every single day to do the proper thing .

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"