Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How do I know if I am producing enough milk?

Hi

My daughter is almost 8.5 months old and is still breastfed (along with being fed solids).  I introduced solids at about 5.5 months old and she has done really well with all kinds of foods.  Lately I have been wondering if I am still producing enough milk for her?  She breast feeds about 5 times a day but acts really hungry and thirsty in between her nursing sessions.  I usually let her have a sippy cup full of water while she eats her solids. If I had to guess I would say she drinks about 2-4 ounces of water a day with her meals. For the first time today I gave her the sippy cup in the afternoon when she was having some puffs for a snack and she guzzled the water like she was so thirsty (she had just nursed about 1 hour prior to that). How do I know if I am producing enough breast milk for her?  Should I let her have more water if she wants it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do I know if I am producing enough milk?

• Is she fussy at the breast or after nursing? I've heard of babies/toddlers chugging water, my lo loves to play/drink the water- she just chokes mostly and lets it run out her mouth haha.  I struggled with supply issues at 6m, but started drinking mothers milk tea which helped alot.  I would only give water during food/snack time, that way she is still getting that nutritional breastmilk as well.  Try increasing your water intake too, but your supply might be just fine. 
  • Odds are things are fine. I know when DS takes a bottle he chugs it like there's no tomorrow - drinks way more than when on the boob I am sure. I would think that as long as she's nursing happily she's getting what she needs.

You do want to limit the liquid intake to 2-3oz at most if your breastfeeding so that she doesn't filll up on water (and nurse less, and hurt your supply). I can't remember the exact figure, but if you check kellymom.com there's TONS of awesome breastfeeding information and advice. 

Can you take her to the pedi or LC for a weighed feeding? That might give you some assurance, or if she isn't getting enough you'll know to supplement. 

Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
    ~Fitness Blog~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"