Cloth Diapering
Options

Diaper Smells When Wet

I need help.  Lately, our diapers have been coming out of the washer / dryer smelling fine.  As soon as DD pees in a diaper, it smells like poop. I have added more detergent to the wash and it does not help.  We use Ecos detergent and use mostly pocket diapers.  Any solutions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Diaper Smells When Wet

• Options
    You may want to start doing a warm pre rinse before your wash. It's been proven that warm water gets waste off better.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagemargaretkaye1:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    You may want to start doing a warm pre rinse before your wash. It's been proven that warm water gets waste off better.
    Not all washers have this option. Mine doesn't. You might want to switch detergents if adding more didn't work, you've got barnyard. Are you washing in hot?

Your saying your washer cannot do a warm express wash? Cuz thats what I do for my prerinse. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would also switch detergents. From what I understand ecos is VERY mild, and if you have hard water at all, it won't stand up to it. You would need to use a very large amount to combat the minerals in the water in addition to getting the diapers clean. I have very hard water and use Dropps and have great luck. Dropps is actually premeasured in little packs, adn I use two packs per load on the extra large water setting. I also bleach 1/4 cup a month. I would switch to a better detergent and also bleach to give yourself a fresh start.
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also do not have the option of a hot pre-rinse.  My washer only does a cold pre-rinse.  Yes, I do wash it very hot water and I do an extra rinse.  I will try a new detergent, but Dropps is what we used before Ecos and we had a similar issue.  I was thinking of trying Tide HE Powder because I have heard good things.  If I start with the Tide now will it get rid of the stink, or do I need to do something else before I use a Tide/any new detergent?
  • Options
    I would just use bleach on the first load. Just be sure you're using enough detergent, whatever you use. Put in what you would for a normal clothes load of that size. When you open the washer during the main cycle, you should see LOTS of bubbles. It will all rinse out in the extra rinses, don't worry about that!
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our machine does not have an option for a warm pre-rinse either. I set it to a warm wash, let the washer fill, then switch it to rinse. Now I just do a warm express wash (the shortest wash cycle) instead. It's an option, and worth trying before going out to buy new detergent.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thanks.  I think I am just going to go get the Tide tomorrow and give it a try!
  • Options
    I battled barnyard stink issues for months and tried a couple different natural, CD friendly detergents in varying amounts and sometimes the barnyard smell would get a little better but it never fully went away unless I used bleach.  After a bleach wash the diapers would smell fine for a week or two and then the smell would be back.  I finally switched to Tide and have never had an issue in the 3 months since I did that.  I love it.  I have hard water and so I use about 2-3 TBS for a load of 15-20 diapers in a FL HE machine. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKariChadDora:
    I battled barnyard stink issues for months and tried a couple different natural, CD friendly detergents in varying amounts and sometimes the barnyard smell would get a little better but it never fully went away unless I used bleach.nbsp; After a bleach wash the diapers would smell fine for a week or two and then the smell would be back.nbsp; I finally switched to Tide and have never had an issue in the 3 months since I did that.nbsp; I love it.nbsp; I have hard water and so I use about 23 TBS for a load of 1520 diapers in a FL HE machine.nbsp;

I just went out and bought it, so I'm hoping to love Tide too! I did bleach before about 2 months ago but like you said, it just came back. :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"