Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Arm out swaddle?

With my daughter, we would totally swaddle her and she really slept well up until about 4 or 5 months when her doctor said to swaddle her arms out.  A nurse at the hospital told me that the recommendations have changed and to swaddle arms out after little ones first 24 hours.  I'm trying it with my son but he seems to flail his arms around a ton since he doesn't have real control yet and it seems to keep him awake.  Anyone hear of the new recommendations?  Are you going by them or sticking to the full swaddle?  Thanks!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Arm out swaddle?

• I don't know anything about these recommendations, but my DS started breaking out of a full swaddle before he was a week old. We swaddled him with his arms out for a couple of days before we gave up completely on swaddling. DS is 4 weeks old now and never had any problems with sleep.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    photo 9df49095-cf0f-4192-a338-7695f445291a_zps876ddeb4.jpg
  • Our hospital taught us to swaddle arms in, but the nurse said if she got fussy, we could swaddle with one arm out and it might help her calm down (she has had her arms by her face every time we did an ultrasound and still does when not swaddled, so that seems to just be her natural comfort)

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Loading the player...
  • I've never heard of that.  We swaddled DS both arms in until recently.  He started trying to break out of it and woke himself up.  So, I now leave one arm out and he's back to sleeping great.

• I'm a peds nurse and have not heard these recommendations, nor has my hospital or unit implemented them, fwiw. I also full swaddle DD, both arms in. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never heard it as a recommendation but one of the nurses at the hospital did show me how to swaddle dd this way so that she could suck on her hands in hopes it would help her sleep.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We use the full method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4VdZxwsu4

Arms out after 24 hrs? No freaking way. I would not sleep. My LO went 11 hours overnight as of 2 months old, and I attribute STTN that soon due to the swaddle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • The nurse at our hospital told us that they recommend arms out as well. DD loves to be swaddled arms out. We tried to swaddle her with her arms in and at only a few days old she broke out of it and had her arms in the air lol

BabyFruit Ticker

• i haven't heard of this recommendation and nothing was mentioned to me when I was in the hospital after the birth of my son 8 days ago. We swaddle him with arms in and yes he does break free like Houdini but we just rewrap him.  During the day if we swaddle we sometimes do the arms free swaddle. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My little guy is always arms out just because it's how he likes to sleep... I've tried arms in but he either breaks free or won't sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Regulations? Seriously, I would not worry about anything "official" and just go with your baby's preference. DD liked both arms out and made that clear from day 1. DS seems to like only one out. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagejuliane2004:

We use the full method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4VdZxwsu4

Arms out after 24 hrs? No freaking way. I would not sleep. My LO went 11 hours overnight as of 2 months old, and I attribute STTN that soon due to the swaddle.

My DD was out of swaddle totally by 4 weeks and was STTN by 6 weeks... 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My DS hated having his arms swaddled from day 1 so even at the hospital they left them out so he could move them.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"