Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Need feeding help

DS is 8 weeks and I am trying to figure out his feeding schedule. He drinks 6 oz if he oes te full 2.5-3hours between bottles. The problem is, a lot of times he either just looses interest and refuses to finish or dozes and then wants the rest almost an hour later. Then he starts crying an hour after that because he, in his mind, only ate couple ounces last feeding. It ends up he eats all thrown off during the day and is eating like every hour little bits instead of a whole bottle every 3. I don't know if  am just not waiting initially til he is hungry enough to finish and am mistaking another cry for a hungry cry. I tried a faster nipple thinking he was frustrated, but its still too fast and he choked. The only time he goes the full time between bottles is if he was asleep on me for hours. He only naps like 30 min. if he's put down so that doesn't help spread out bottles. Any advice? He just drank 4 oz and fell asleep and I bet will want the last 2 oz later :/

Re: Need feeding help

• I know you said that napping doesn't help him, but our pedi told us that LO should be sleeping in between feedings...we try to follow the EASY schedule--eat, awake  time, sleep, repeat. So I would try to do what you can to get him to sleep longer between feedings, even it means taking him out for a walk or something. It'll help spread them out and help him actually be hungry enough to finish his bottle when it's time. Good luck!

ETA that it's possible you're mistaking his tired cry for a hungry cry...I feel like the cues are often the same at this age. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Thanks ;) he does good at night. Bed at 8 and eats around maybe 12 and then around 4 and gets up around 730. We somehow screw up during the day ;).
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehilsy85:

I know you said that napping doesn't help him, but our pedi told us that LO should be sleeping in between feedings...we try to follow the EASY schedule--eat, awake  time, sleep, repeat. So I would try to do what you can to get him to sleep longer between feedings, even it means taking him out for a walk or something. It'll help spread them out and help him actually be hungry enough to finish his bottle when it's time. Good luck!

ETA that it's possible you're mistaking his tired cry for a hungry cry...I feel like the cues are often the same at this age. 

i was thinking I might be mistaking his cry. Usually he only screams for food...he was a big boy..over 9 lbs when he was born, so he is serious about food when he wants it. I am thinking sometimes it might be an overtired cry. 

• I sort of have the same issue.  Sometimes she will only take 2 oz at a time.  She goes on a feeding frenzy in the evenings though and will make up for the rest of the day.  I can't really get her on a schedule yet because she eats when she wants.  The nice thing is after she eats a bunch in the evening, she goes 4 to 5 hours until the next bottle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekdg31684:
    I sort of have the same issue.  Sometimes she will only take 2 oz at a time.  She goes on a feeding frenzy in the evenings though and will make up for the rest of the day.  I can't really get her on a schedule yet because she eats when she wants.  The nice thing is after she eats a bunch in the evening, she goes 4 to 5 hours until the next bottle.

i don't necessarily mind, but usually I end up having to feed him at a store or something cause I can't fill him up before we go. Plus it's hard to be able to do an activity with DD when it seems I constantly have to feed DS. 

• imagekdg31684:
    I sort of have the same issue.  Sometimes she will only take 2 oz at a time.  She goes on a feeding frenzy in the evenings though and will make up for the rest of the day.  I can't really get her on a schedule yet because she eats when she wants.  The nice thing is after she eats a bunch in the evening, she goes 4 to 5 hours until the next bottle.

i don't necessarily mind, but usually I end up having to feed him at a store or something cause I can't fill him up before we go. Plus it's hard to be able to do an activity with DD when it seems I constantly have to feed DS. 

• imageJimsgirl5821:
    imagehilsy85:

I know you said that napping doesn't help him, but our pedi told us that LO should be sleeping in between feedings...we try to follow the EASY schedule--eat, awake  time, sleep, repeat. So I would try to do what you can to get him to sleep longer between feedings, even it means taking him out for a walk or something. It'll help spread them out and help him actually be hungry enough to finish his bottle when it's time. Good luck!

i was thinking I might be mistaking his cry. Usually he only screams for food...he was a big boy..over 9 lbs when he was born, so he is serious about food when he wants it. I am thinking sometimes it might be an overtired cry. 

I was totally doing this as well, just sticking a boob in his mouth whenever he cried because I thought he was hungry (he'd be sucking on his hands, etc). But then I tried rocking him or putting him in the swing and he'd fall asleep really easily,  so I figured he wasn't always necessarily hungry. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • imagehilsy85:
    imageJimsgirl5821:
    imagehilsy85:

I was totally doing this as well, just sticking a boob in his mouth whenever he cried because I thought he was hungry (he'd be sucking on his hands, etc). But then I tried rocking him or putting him in the swing and he'd fall asleep really easily,  so I figured he wasn't always necessarily hungry. 

He fell asleep in his bouncy and I moved him to his RNP. Shockingly, he is still out. I think after I will try to kill more time by giving him a bath and seeing if I can get him to make it 2.5/3 hours. Knock on wood he will stay asleep awhile. Not too optimistic with a 3y/o running around though ;)

• I was mistaking my lo's overtired cries for hunger cries.  I'd feed him, he'd seem full then an hour later was crying.  I'd give him the bottle and he'd suck (so I'd think he was hungry), but he was just pacifying himself to sleep.  Took awhile to figure it out :)  I started following the EASY routine and make sure he takes a nap between each feed, now he eats 4 oz every three hours during the day like clockwork.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"