Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

cow's milk

I breats fed for 7 months but , becasue if several drops in supply, i had to switch to formula at 7 months. My question is, my Lo will be 1 next week... Has anyone tried cows milk with their child yet? What are your plans strategies for switching?? cold turkey?? I do know i will be using orgnic only...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: cow's milk

• Options
    Around DS's first birthday, we started mixing WCM in with his formula bottles, about half and half. We slowly upped that to a full bottles of WCM, which he did well with at first. He has a milk intolerance, and is on soy now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    what were the symptoms that he had an intolerance?? throwing up? diahrrhea?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejgallegos0316:
    what were the symptoms that he had an intolerance?? throwing up? diahrrhea?

Diarrhea, terrible diaper rash, and he was in pain while digesting milk. It was awful to watch. Until I could get ahold of his pedi, I took him off the milk (fed him just formula again) and within 12 hours, he was back to normal. He's doing really well on the soy milk, after almost a month.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I started giving Cows milk with his meals so his system can get used to it... he doesn't have a TON but enough. He will be 1 on the 6th of Jan. I plan switching half and half this next week and then just to milk. He is fine with milk so far. My worry is if I get rid of bottle he won't get enough from sippy, I need to ask Dr. how many oz. is required of milk at 1yr... anyone know?
  • Options
    My dd is 10months and I still bf but I've been giving her a little bit of wcm in her sippy. Today my parents (who usually dont babysit) watched her and fed her too often. So dh mixed a little left over bm with wcm until i got home and she drank it down.
  • Options

imagechicsahm:
    I started giving Cows milk with his meals so his system can get used to it... he doesn't have a TON but enough. He will be 1 on the 6th of Jan. I plan switching half and half this next week and then just to milk. He is fine with milk so far. My worry is if I get rid of bottle he won't get enough from sippy, I need to ask Dr. how many oz. is required of milk at 1yr... anyone know?

For some reason I want to say 6-12oz of milk is recommended, plus extra water for hydration. They don't need nearly as much cow milk as they needed BM/formula. Basically, I will serve him milk with meals and offer him water in between. That is, if he ever gets the hang of the sippy cup! 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

We have the girls on WCM.  At 11 months (per our pediatrician's recommendation) we gave them a straight glass of it and they did well with it, but then we mixed it with formula just to use up what we had (so we would do 2 or 4 ounces of formula, then add milk to that).  We finished up last week.  We only give them WCM in a sippy cup because we wanted to try to break the bottle habit at the same time, and that went pretty well.  For the first few days we would start off using the sippy cup and end up pouring the rest into the bottle and let them finish it off that way.  Now we don't even offer a bottle anymore, although I do put an extra ounce in the sippy cup since with the straw cups it can be tough to get it all out.

Our pediatrician said that they ideally need 3 servings of dairy/day.  He said it could be three servings of milk (8 ounces each) or we could replace a serving or two with things like yogurt or cheese.  The girls never drank 24 ounces of even formula in a day so what we do is offer 8 ounces of milk three times a day (of which they usually drink 5-7 ounces) and if I make scrambles eggs I'll put a little milk in them, if I make oatmeal I'll make it with milk instead of water, and we give them cheese or yogurt once or twice a day usually.  

• Options
    I ran out of formula right before DD1's first birthday so I went cold turkey with her. She was fine. Not sure all kids would be, but it didn't seem to bother her. DD2 is a little more sensitive for some reason so I will probably introduce it slowly over a week or so. At two, the pedi. said DD1 needed at least 16 oz of milk a day. She eats cheese and yogurt all the time, and has done so since about 13-14 months, so I would say as long as LO gets 1-2 cups of milk and yogurt or cheese or the like, along with water whenever they are thirsty, should be good to go!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i started giving my son wcm at 10 months he is nearly 3. now he is fine.

(Me)
    (32)
    Jonathan Hunter (Adopted)
    (2-27-10)
    TTC #1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"