Cloth Diapering
Options

New to CD-reccomend a resource ?

We did not CD DD#1, but I am considering it for #2.  What is a good place to start understanding my options ?  It seems that here are sooo many different styles.

Also interested in any opinions/feedback you have on why you chose what you chose.

TIA!

Re: New to CD-reccomend a resource ?

• Options
    I just started lurking on this board regularly and watching youtube videos. Most people suggest cloth diapering 101. Look up places to buy them too like cotton babies, kelly's closet, nicki's diapers, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I learned a lot from youtube. I really like ObbsAndLala's videos.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a store that sells CD where we live. They do a free group class discussing all the types of CD and the pros and cons. After you can have someone individually help you make choices and answer all your questions. I prefer getting information face to face than reading it online so this really worked for us.
    As for why we CD, we CD because its a huge financial savings, better for the environment, and LO was getting horrible rashes in sposies and hasn't had a single one since the switch. Bonus is wayyyyy less poopsplosions in CD, we've only had 2 versus a few each week in sposies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The YouTube cloth diapering 101 videos are great. There's also a FAQ at the top of the board. Jilliansdraws.com has really informative reviews of each type of diaper.
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Options

Watch the videos and see if you can find a class near you.  

• Options
    Yes YouTube also I recommend trying a variety, before you invest.
  • Options

This board was (and continues to be) so valuable for information for me. I started lurking when I was building my stash before DD arrived and it was so helpful.

In my newborn stash I had 12 AIOs, 12 fitteds and 12 prefolds (plus way too many covers for the fitteds & pfs). I wanted a variety since I had no idea what I was going to like. If I had to build a newborn stash over again I would get 12-18 Kawaii Pure & Natural pockets (these are smaller pockets that will fit a newborn but also fit until about 20 lbs - such an underrated diaper IMO), 6 OsoCosy size 1 prefolds, 6 Kissaluvs size 0 fitteds, and 12 each GMD workhorses in newborn and small. As far as covers I would get 2 Proraps Classic newborn, 2 Thirsties Duo size 1 aplix, and 1 Bummis Super Brite small. I would skip the newborn AIOs because DD outgrew the absorbency before she fit into OS diapers and because the P&Ns are a much better value.

Now I use a combination of pockets, prefolds and fitteds. I don't use AIOs because DD is a heavy wetter and having to add extra absorbency to an AIO defeats the purpose of a one-piece diaper. I like prefolds because they are very absorbent and launder so easily. (I did not expect to like prefolds but ended up getting a good deal on some...and now they make up about 1/2 my stash). Pockets are DH's favorite and what we leave out for sitters. Fitteds are a must for naps and overnight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"