Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Mirena? Paragard? Pill?

Anyone have an opinion on the IUDs. I am scheduled to get one, but would like some opinions. What did you choose and why? Any negative side effects?

Re: Mirena? Paragard? Pill?

• Options
    I am debating on what to get too. Had my 6 week pp today. I do not have birth control coverage on my insurance plan and Mirena is almost $900! But spread over the course of 5 years, I guess its not so bad. Just a lot of up front cost for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I haven't had an IUD but, my sisters have along with some close friends and they all have gotten the Mirena and HATED it. They were all really sick with it and my sister turned into a crazy person it messed up her hormones so bad. 

Also, I've been seeing commercials for class action lawsuits against Mirena and I wouldn't want to really put anything in me that has a current huge lawsuit against it for causing infertility and blood clots and such...but that's just me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Ourfasttrackfamily.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on my second Mirena and love it.  DD is EBF, I've had no supply issues.  I had a bad experience with the insertion of the first one, but just slight cramps for about an hour with the second.  I've had some random spotting but no period.  I didn't have a period for the 4yrs I had the first one.  It did take 2yrs to get pregnant with DD after having the first one removed, but I also have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    I had Mirena inserted in March, and flipping love it. No pills to take, no refills to get, no bloating, no cramps, some breakouts but not bad, and each month my period is shorter and lighter. I love it. And to the PP worried about cost-find out when your insurance plan's renewal date is. After that date (most likely January 1, 2013) it will be free thanks to Obamacare. :)
  • Options
    I will be going back on the pill. I was told by my PCP that IUD's are good unless you plan to have another child within the next 5 years or so. And since we will probably be trying again in a few years, I would rather just use the pill. I was on YAZ(generic) for 9 years and have NO complaints! Not sure if I can go on that again while BF though...
  • Options
    imageOrganizedbride@yahoo.com:

I haven't had an IUD but, my sisters have along with some close friends and they all have gotten the Mirena and HATED it. They were all really sick with it and my sister turned into a crazy person it messed up her hormones so bad. 

Also, I've been seeing commercials for class action lawsuits against Mirena and I wouldn't want to really put anything in me that has a current huge lawsuit against it for causing infertility and blood clots and such...but that's just me. 

All hormonal birth controls, including the pill, can cause blood clots.

• Options

I had mirena and loved it.  I don't pay much attention to the class action lawsuits because they're brought up my money-hungry attorneys.  There are so many medical lawsuits these days that you can probably find one on any medication or procedure. 

I had to have my mirena surgically removed, which is very rare, and I still wouldn't hesitate to get another.  I had no crazy side effects and no periods - it was awesome!  I got pregnant the first cycle off of it, so even surgical removal didn't affect my fertility.

Since we're planning on having another in a couple years, I'll probably do the mini-pill this time. 

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options

I am scheduled to have Mirena put in next month. I've talked to friends, as well as my OB who has had it between both kids, and they all love it. Paragard seems fine too but I know more people with Mirena and they all have good things to say so I'm leaning that way.

We do plan on having another LO - but not for a few years - so it seems like the best option for us. I like the idea that as soon as we want to start trying I can have it removed and try right away, whereas the pill they recommend being off it a few months, plus there's always the issue of waiting for your cycle to get back on track. I was on the pill for like 10 years, which was fine, but with two kids I would rather not have to worry about taking it every day, getting it filled each month, etc.

As far as complications, there are side effects with anything you do so I think that all balances out.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Options
    Have not personally had one, but have had friends who have had it. Since every woman is different, there's no way of knowing how the device will affect you personally, but I do offer a word of caution - if you plan on trying for another kiddo in the next few years, you need to check with your insurance company before having it placed, as some companies will not pay for removal if it has been less than a certain amount of time (2 years, all the way up to 5 years). That means you'll be stuck with the bill if you want it taken out before then. Also, this is purely my opinion, but think about what you're going to do if you have a bad experience with the IUD - it's not like the pill, where you can just stop taking it and the side effects will go away. You're making a big commitment having something implanted into you. :)
  • Options
    imageOrganizedbride@yahoo.com:

my cousin had to have it removed due to uterus rubbing and cysts on her ovaries..now she has no idea whether more children are an option in the future...i wouldnt get an iud..no matter how convenient... 

• Options
    Got the Mirena.  Love it.  The insertion was only mildly uncomfortable with some spotting afterwards, but nothing terrible.  I will say though, part of the reason it was a pretty easy decision is because I don't plan on TTC for at LEAST 5 or so years, and most likely, I'm one and done, so all of the potential fertility issues aren't really that big of a deal to me.
  • Options
    I had the paragard. I cannot tolerate hormonal birth control. I didn't have any problems with, except the first one fell out! The second one stayed in. I didn't have any worse cramps or heavier periods ( I have heard that is a side effect).
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know of one person directly who had an IUD and she got pregnant 6 months after it was inserted. It was in correctly and in the right place, but still got pregnant.

photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just had the Paragard placed 2 weeks ago. I am not sane with hormonal birth control so this was the best option since its non hormonal. There was just a slight pinch but barely hurt. Had cramping the first day that was just like slight period cramps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"