Natural Birth

Future Birth Control Question

I'm pretty sure after this baby we are done, or at least for a good couple of years.  I know it's early to start thinking about, but I know they will ask me what kind of birth control I want.

I usually say none and we pull and pray since we were more than welcoming to more pregnancies.  I haven't been on birth control in 8 years and prefer to be as non-hormonal as possible since I did not do well on various types of pills before.

We don't plan on any permanent procedures until we are 40, which is 8 years from now.

What do you suggest or have had good experiences with? 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Future Birth Control Question

• I got off birth control about 4-5 mo before we started to try to get pregnant, I wanted my cycle to regulate before trying off the bat. We used VCF(Vaginal Contraceptive Films) and liked them. Its a small square film you insert 15 min before actual sex, (so it gives you some time for foreplay) and is just spermicide. They worked for us and as soon as we stopped using them we got pregnant. You can get them at CVS or Walgreens and are about the same price as condoms. After this pregnancy we will probably use them again in conjunction with pull and pray. I have read some reviews of women being sensitive to them and causing burning and itching but I had no issues with them.
  • I've been asked way too often what I want to use afterwards. I don't really want to do any hormonal options as I feel they greatly impacted my libido and contributed to my weight gain. And I'm not open to another IUD. I'm leaning towards just using condoms and since I'll be EDF'ing for at least 6 months I hope that helps, too (though I know it's not 100%).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What about fertility awareness method? "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a great read and it's easy to do, all you need is a basal body thermometer.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• NFP. Creighton model, specifically. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The only form of birth control that really should be used at this point is an iud.  Anything else will effect your milk supply.  So if I were you I would definitely choose to go with an iud.
  • Last time, I did the mini-pill because I knew we wouldn't have that long between pregnancies. This time, I'm planning on Mirena. The Paraguard IUD might be a better fit if you're looking to avoid hormones, and it lasts 10 years.

The mini-pill had no effect on my milk supply, and obviously barrier methods would be fine also. PP is totally wrong to say it's IUD or nothing. 

• imagebripratt2:
    The only form of birth control that really should be used at this point is an iud.  Anything else will effect your milk supply.  So if I were you I would definitely choose to go with an iud.

100% not true.

Ditto PP, I would think your options would be Paraguard IUD, NFP, or barrier methods.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Thanks everyone!!! I know birth control has changed a lot since I last took it so I appreciate the insight!!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had some really bad luck with hormonal bc, most recently Mirena (I have strong reactions to artificial hormones), so I really want to try Paraguard after this baby. #3 is totally out of the question for us, and my cycle has always been too wonky to completely rely on NFP (dd was conceived the last day of my period!). I really liked having an IUD, but just can't do the progesterone anymore, and I'm convinced it was one of the reasons I couldn't ebf dd longer than 2 months, and my supply tanked starting about a week after I had it inserted.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagenosoup4u:
    What about fertility awareness method? "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a great read and it's easy to do, all you need is a basal body thermometer.

This is my solution and it worked for us for eight years. I'm going back to that after the baby. I hate hormonal bc and IUDs freak me out a little. Although my friend has the copper one and she loves it. Fertility awareness didn't work for her; besides a basal body thermometer you need self-control.

• NFP (natural family planning) and no it is not the rhythm method. You track temp, mucus, and position, and use those symptoms to determine when you are fertile. There are many methods available, but Couple to Couple League is very reliable, offers classes, and a home study option. When you actually do the charting and follow when not to have intercourse, it is every bit as reliable as hormonal birth control. Plus, there is NONE of the risk! You don't have to worry about reacting to something, long term effects, possible uterine damage, or rupture of a barrier device.

On a note to any ladies TTC, it is also great for helping you get pregnant or determine where there might be a problem with your fertility that is preventing it. We have had success using it for both routes!

• I'm holding my "I'll use NFP and barrier methods" baby in my arms right now.  NFP doesn't work very well when you have an infant who gives you inconsistent sleep, and breastfeeds such that your cycles are completely wonky.  I actually conceived my second baby SIX weeks after the start of my LMP.  Thank goodness for ultrasounds that determine actual gestation or he would've looked to be severely overdue (despite being born at 40+3...by u/s, at 7lb 2 oz).  :P

Our plan was for my H to get a vasectomy after baby #2 was born...buuuut, we're wavering a bit now, and I think I'll probably get an IUD.  Either mirena or paraguard.  I was anti-hormones, but was linked to some good information about how the hormones in mirena are much much different than in those of a birth control pill, so I'm feeling more inclined now to talk to my MW and my OB about their recommendations.  GL, OP! 

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/birthcontrol/ 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagenosoup4u:
    What about fertility awareness method? "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a great read and it's easy to do, all you need is a basal body thermometer.

This! I love this book and used this method for over a year to avoid pregnancy and then to get pregnant.  

And, i just want to say that I love this board! Sometimes I'll tell people this is what I use and they look at me like I'm a crazy person.  

Pregnancy Ticker

photo 9c28f28c-5aae-4b20-8f02-ea27ec37f516_zpsdaed06b5.jpg
  • imagedanak4:

imagenosoup4u:

This! I love this book and used this method for over a year to avoid pregnancy and then to get pregnant.  

And, i just want to say that I love this board! Sometimes I'll tell people this is what I use and they look at me like I'm a crazy person.  

Again, this won't work for most people who have infants.  Do you consistently get 3 hours of sleep prior to waking up at exactly the same time to take your temp every morning?  I don't think FAM is crazy at all...I used it to avoid getting pregnant for a year, prior to my son.  But I just don't see how it can work AT ALL for a BFing mother of a small baby.  But GL to you :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"